Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do Gnomes have any place in Warcraft?

It just seems when you think about it, between their highly neglected, retconned, and out of place lore, which sees very little continuity or advancement, Gnomes were literally created for World of Warcraft, because the developers could not find a final race for the Alliance at the time, as Goblins were not Alliance-like.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't think there is any Gnome currently in the lore, who has had an impact in any way, or was of significance. All they ever do, is provide corny, five-year old comic relief.

What's your stance on this?

Last edited by Gugizimo; 2013-03-05 at 07:21 AM.

Gnomes make most of the alliance tech, like the airplanes and stuff...

and they make good footballs...

Do Goblins have any place? How about Dwarfs? They are just another race, another story in WoW. No matter how small (pun intended) it might be, it's still apart of WoW.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Gnomes make most of the alliance tech, like the airplanes and stuff...

and they make good footballs...
    Dwarves used to do that, but again, it was retconned. And this is a very moot point to give them credit to contributing to the lore honestly.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 07:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    Do Goblins have any place? How about Dwarfs? They are just another race, another story in WoW. No matter how small (pun intended) it might be, it's still apart of WoW.
    There are dozens of significant Dwarves and Goblins in the lore

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Dwarves used to do that, but again, it was retconned. And this is a very moot point to give them credit to contributing to the lore honestly.
    Check my links, it wasn't retconned.

It was a pretty huge disappointment to get them over the expected High Elves at the time.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 07:21 AM ----------

No retcon; http://www.wowpedia.org/Gnomish_Flying_Machine http://www.wowpedia.org/Gnomish_Submarine. Gnomes played a rather important role in WarCraft 2, building flying machines and submarines. However they weren't seen in WarCraft 3 simply because they were unable to support the Alliance as they had to deal with the Trogg invasion. Gnomes are important, in their own odd little way.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 08:27 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    It was a pretty huge disappointment to get them over the expected High Elves at the time.
    I still don't get why people were expecting High Elves. After TFT it stands clear that only a handful of elves survived and most of them "became" Blood Elves and went to Outland.
    Last edited by Venziir; 2013-03-05 at 07:30 AM.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    No retcon; http://www.wowpedia.org/Gnomish_Flying_Machine. Gnomes played a rather important role in WarCraft 2, building flying machines and submarines. However they weren't seen in WarCraft 3 simply because they were unable to support the Alliance as they had to deal with the Trogg invasion. Gnomes are important, in their own odd little way.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 08:27 AM ----------

I still don't get why people were expecting High Elves. After TFT it stands clear that only a handful of elves survived and most of them "became" Blood Elves and went to Outland.
    Were there any named gnomes at the time?

And what about Narain Soothfancy? Or Millhouse Manastorm? Is Toshley, Silas Darkmoon, Indus not significant in lore?
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Were there any named gnomes at the time?
    No, but there weren't any named dwarves or elves until Warcraft 2's expansion either... Your point?

No, but there weren't any named dwarves or elves until Warcraft 2's expansion either... Your point?
    If there were no named Gnomes until WoW, it just sort of justifies my point of their insignificance tbh.

Just because they don't seem very useful in your eyes doesn't mean they aren't; after all, back in Vanilla getting from Ironforge to Stormwind would have been a much bigger pain in the ass were the tram not there.

Also, the Alliance tanks and other similar siege vehicles wouldn't be much more than rock-wheeled, oversized Flinstonian wooden carts trundling around, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    And what about Narain Soothfancy? Or Millhouse Manastorm? Is Toshley, Silas Darkmoon, Indus not significant in lore?
    Nope, not at all.

If Gnomes weren't in WoW, they'd have to be invented. Someone needs to develop the Alliance's tech, and it's not Dwarves, being almost all of theirs is related to blowing things up.

Horde have had Goblins since WC2/3, so it stands that Gnomes are the Alliance's Goblins. Just as the devs of WoW figured out, they needed another Alliance race. So they used Gnomes, only slightly mentioned. They gave them no home city though, sharing it with Ironforge (to balance, they made Trolls homeless too, leading to the Pre-Cata events).

They may not have had a long history, but they've been used well.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    If there were no named Gnomes until WoW, it just sort of justifies my point of their insignificance tbh.
    Not even a little bit no. There weren't any female trolls mentioned or seen before WoW either, does that mean that female trolls (or tauren or dwarves for that matter) have no place in Warcraft? Of course not. Stop being silly Sally.

Not even a little bit no. There weren't any female trolls mentioned or seen before WoW either, does that mean that female trolls (or tauren or dwarves for that matter) have no place in Warcraft? Of course not. Stop being silly Sally.
    Don't mix genders with race significance. Trolls are one of the most important races in Warcraft, and considering their bias against women, it makes sense there were no significant female trolls.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Don't mix genders with race significance. Trolls are one of the most important races in Warcraft, and considering their bias against women, it makes sense there were no significant female trolls.
    Sigh, why I still even try to bother arguing with you is beyond me... Still as clueless as ever Sal.

Wilfred Fizzlebang is a pretty important lore character!

Deleted
    Pre-TBC, the draenei were at best a footnote. Just sayin'.