Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post

Anyway, I stand by my original point. I have no problem with the gnomes appearing in the game, but just like the draenei and worgen, the minimal backstory already established before the race was announced was constrictive, which choked Blizzard's creativity and made them difficult to integrate into the game as a whole.
    I'd have to disagree, take the Draenei as an example, they're 'just legion' related so people often say Blizz can't do anything with them until the Legion Expac... but what about Felwood and the Blasted Lands? They could've shown up there easily.

Similarly, the worgen could've been more prominent in Arathi and the Hinterlands combating the Forsaken, or just in the Barrens where the Alliance had difficulty with the rough landscape.

Similarly the gnomes, like the goblins, could show up anywhere their tech is used, yes there might not be any grand overarching plotline but they're not 'out of place' in other areas.
    Twas brillig

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    I'd have to disagree, take the Draenei as an example, they're 'just legion' related so people often say Blizz can't do anything with them until the Legion Expac... but what about Felwood and the Blasted Lands? They could've shown up there easily.

Similarly, the worgen could've been more prominent in Arathi and the Hinterlands combating the Forsaken, or just in the Barrens where the Alliance had difficulty with the rough landscape.

Similarly the gnomes, like the goblins, could show up anywhere their tech is used, yes there might not be any grand overarching plotline but they're not 'out of place' in other areas.
    Agreed, if they wanted to make them less a joke race, they could have done this.

And to add something, they do appear in Southern Barrens, I remember a gnome asking you to help her build a mini siege tank... and then the tank destroys a tower and kills several people, this ignoring the gnome in case is drunk. And there's several other similar examples.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 01:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Drilnos View Post
    They may not be entirely unique, but they sure as heck aren't as common as either wood elves, dark elves or any combination thereof. Draenei weren't present at launch in any case.

Anyway, gnomes have been around and making contraptions for the Alliance since before either night elves or draenei even existed as backstory. They have more of a claim to membership in the Alliance than the both of them put together.
    So you're saying a race that is unique (night elves have the whole command style of dark elves, the love of nature of wood elves, the worship of a night goddess which is a benevolent one too besides their druidic aspect) is actually more common then technological inclined gnomes? ... Look, I understand if you like gnomes, but you really don't have an argument there. By same logic, I could claim tauren are more unique then gnomes since benevolent minotaurs anywhere aren't as common as technological gnomes.

Dril, Snowraven, you're both pretty, you can stop now, it doesn't matter who's more unique in this case :P
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Much like the pandaren and draenei, the gnomes pre-date WoW. They just didn't have a lot of solid, canon lore to back them up until they were introduced into WoW, or had it changed upon their introduction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    Dril, Snowraven, you're both pretty, you can stop now, it doesn't matter who's more unique in this case :P
    Lol, I like this reply. I always get caught in my night elf fanaticism, thanks for pulling me out. You're right, to be honest in a way gnomes are unique too.

The problem is that they're used mostly for comedic relief... and that's not ok. I don't mind gnomes as a race but they really need to use them for something else other then comedy. I really loved Gelbin's short story, when I read it it made me respect gnomes a bit... but they didn't follow it with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Nish77 View Post
    P.S. I'm nothing special IRL but I find the gnome hate funny when I doubt most people playing this game (or most ppl irl for that matter) are 6 foot 4 inch Olympic athletes with perfect proportions.
    That's exactly what I think when I see a disparaging comment on male Blood Elves. They're quite athletic and probably infinitely more so than those commenting will ever be

As for gnomes, well, they might become more interesting the day Blizzard stop using them for comic relief purposes...

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    I still don't get why people were expecting High Elves. After TFT it stands clear that only a handful of elves survived and most of them "became" Blood Elves and went to Outland.
    Irrelevant in this context. The same could be said of Worgen - yet there they are as a playable race despite the fact the lore has them as a single city's population.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Irrelevant in this context. The same could be said of Worgen - yet there they are as a playable race despite the fact the lore has them as a single city's population.
    *Part of a country's population. Plus some on the side (the former ferals from Silverpine and Arugal's experiments that managed to break free).

Now draenei on the other hand, proper Alliance ones are supposedly very rare.

Quote Originally Posted by KeirAdish View Post
    Gnomes make most of the alliance tech, like the airplanes and stuff...

and they make good footballs...
    Basically this

And if you mean Jet propelled Footballs that shoot lasers and magnetically attach themselves to the receiver's Alliance encoded gloves within a 5 yard radius forming a "Electro-magnetic gizmotronic" shield which would propel him towards the opposing metallic goalpost for a touchdown ....

then yes, They MAKE good footballs

I agree though that their contributions have not been noted at all. I guess you could say "The Skyfire" airship was built/invented by Gnomes but they are to Mild mannered as a race to go crazy. Apparently Thermaplugg was the only evil Gnome outside of a Mechagnome who are technically "Just following orders."
    Last edited by Lastlivingsoul; 2013-03-06 at 08:35 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. Never. Gnomes are, and have always been, and will be a mistake, a miserable comic race, a race of WoW clowns. No gnome has ever been taken seriously, and never will be.

Deleted
    Gnomes will always have a place in world of warcraft, theyre my favourite race. I dont see why they need a major lore character pre-wow to validate their existance.

And to anyone whining about minor retcon things that we actually didnt know much about anyways:
    http://i.imgur.com/Erl8Vjs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    They're filler people never wanted, people wanted High Elves. They should just swap them out to neutral status and add the Elves next expansion.

Any warlock can do that.
    actually no, not an EREDAR of all things. they're the top tier of the legion. If you checked fizzlebang outisde of the raid, you'd see him preparin the summoning process constantly.

He was probably a genius gnome, which ofcourse meant his efforts backfired terribly. He figured out how to summon a powerful eredar but didnt quite realise the controlling and taming part would be IMPOSSIBLE on an Eredar.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    No. Never. Gnomes are, and have always been, and will be a mistake, a miserable comic race, a race of WoW clowns. No gnome has ever been taken seriously, and never will be.
    Ask yourself why a small nerdy race in this game should bother you. Do they remind you of someone or yourself maybe. Maybe if you could forgive that person for what they did to you could stop feeling so upset at anything that reminds you of them. Or maybe

Haters gonna Hate

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, goblins' ears catch wind too well and act as parachutes, so gnomes are much better for distance punting.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    Ask yourself why a small nerdy race in this game should bother you. Do they remind you of someone or yourself maybe. Maybe if you could forgive that person for what they did to you could stop feeling so upset at anything that reminds you of them. Or maybe

Haters gonna Hate
    No, it's about their midget size. It's about their pink twirling mustache. It's about their oversized heads. It's about them doing nothing but assembling another blingphazmotronixator-RX36 for the purpose of basically anything. It's about them being fucking warriors on par with tauren - it's a piece of crap thrown in the face of reason. How can this tiny body even handle a sword, its arm is as thick as tauren's finger and just as long. An absolute majority of people who play gnomes, do so just for lulz or to piss off people at battlegrounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    Um no it has them as a nation's population.

Gilneas was the entire peninsula and the villages got turned too.
    Twas brillig

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure they have a place in wow. They just don't have as much depth as they really should.