Casual PvP - Destro or Fire Mage?

Hello all,

I play mostly random BGs, and 2's for cap each week.

Ive been having a lot of fun on my Fire Mage, but I really don't like being hard countered by Hunters and Ferals, and in 5.2...possibly Rogues. DKs are also hard work.

Ive see a few Destro Locks around playing petless and it looks like a lot of fun. Petless Destro seems like a very similar template to my Fire Mage, but with more survivability.....Im also very jealous of the self heals!!!

I understand in MoP that Locks have the option to cast while moving as well? This is also something thats a lot of fun about my Fire Mage.

So....would a Destro Lock suit me? What are the lock counter classes? Are there any that you really struggle against or have no realistic chance of beating? Can you peel melee very easily?

I have one at level 80 already, so it would not take too long to level him up.

Constructive advice appreciated!

Thanks

When I played destro it reminded me of my fire mage, it was pretty fun but I honestly think fire mages are better at it so I switched. Also, I believe what you're talking about with casting on the move is only a 6 second talent every 2 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noo View Post
    When I played destro it reminded me of my fire mage, it was pretty fun but I honestly think fire mages are better at it so I switched. Also, I believe what you're talking about with casting on the move is only a 6 second talent every 2 minutes.
    The casting while moving is permanent when specced into, but it reduces your movement speed by 15% everytime you cast a spell (stacks up to 2).

Warlocks from my experience of reading forums have a tough time against melee. Demonology not so much, but destro and affli do. They also require you to hard-cast a bit more than mages.

I think warlocks have better CDs versus casters, while mages have better CDs and survivability against melee. Their burst can also be stupidly insane when set up right (talkng about fire mage).

I'd go (or stay) with fire mage, seeing you'll get Scroch baseline for fire in 5.2, so you can pick either PoM or Blazing Speed in 5.2.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Yes, Ill definitely be trying Blazing Speed in 5.2...looks like fun.

im having the exact same issue. playing destro lock for 3 years and mage for 2. Now I can't decide what to pick for randoms and casual 2s. Most of the guys say go fire mage as you have a lot of tools, but compared to warlock, mage is retardedly boring. The main difference is a bit chunk of dmg for warlocks comes from chaos bolt. And it hits hard! But fire mages rely on many instant spells in order to make up for the damage

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    The casting while moving is permanent when specced into, but it reduces your movement speed by 15% everytime you cast a spell (stacks up to 2).
    Slightly related question...I was looking up what abilities Affliction has.

How does KJC (the movement talent) interact with the soulburn:teleport spell? Soulburn:Teleport offers snare immunity and a 50% speed boost for 8 seconds, does KJC slow you down? Or does the immunity prevent that?

I see there is a glyph reducing the teleport CD too....

Deleted
    From my personal experience of playing Destro in both 2's and randoms I've never had a problem with melee. Destro has so many tools at its disposal for big burst damage and healing and plenty of cc to keep melee at bay. In randoms you should stick with a few other people, you really have no reason to go any where on your own (Not that you can't handle yourself, I can confidently solo 2 people even if both are melee in BGs). When you stick with a group and stand at the back most people are pretty terrible at switching to high threat targets and then most will go for healers so you can safely havoc and send chaos bolts flying around.

I have never used KJC for pvp as destro, I much prefer spamming 2 or 3 rain of fires around on top of the enemy with MF and then going all out single target on someone (Obviously only do this if you can manage your mana or you'll just oom) you have plenty of options for when you need to move and wait till you can throw down a cc and chaos bolt.

Hopefully something I've said answers your question about destro playstyle.

Yes hunters and feral root us mages from behind. But as fire, you are guaranteed to score a kill with cds popped and deep freeze, sorta like the frost spec. Also can put out huge pressure every 30 seconds with deep freeze without cds.

I am probably being biased but I'm saying fire mage. Pvp now days is all about the instants.

Due the recent nerfs go anything but not warlock, just it.
    Last edited by Biruta; 2013-03-05 at 06:41 PM.
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

Appreciate all the comments so far.

My fire Mage is still my main, but I have been levelling my Warlock anyway - he is now level 85.

I like Flameglow and Burst of speed - but that last minute Pyro nerf has put a sever dent in my burst damage, so Im keen to get my lock to 90 and compare the two. I have been trying both Affliction and Destro while levelling and I like them both.