Deleted

Honorgear-grind from heroics? Viable? Optimal?

Heya

Firstly, my apologies if this question has been raised and answered earlier, if so please redirect me and lock this one down

My question is simple - with the change to bosses in heroics giving 100 JP per boss, 120 with the 20% guildperk, wouldnt the optimal way to gear up a new PvP character be through grinding heroics and converting the Justice to Honor at a 1.5 cost.

Heroics would give anything between 300-500+ JP (360-600) which translates to 200-333 HP (240-400 /w perk) per run and take between 5 and 15 minutes (less if you do it in a guildgroup ofc). And it has a 100% successrate (in my experience)

Compare this to doing random BGs. On my paladin I have decent protgear but aim to pvp as holy. Doing BGs as holy would be horrendous (even with a full set of 458 crafted) while I can instantly get dungeon-pops as prot. In any given BGs, barring the first-of-the-day-win, a win will net you 2-300 honor right? Including the honor guildperk. So even if you have a 100% winrate, BGs usually take 15-20 minutes (AB/AV some of the longer ones) you're still looking at less honor per hour than heroics. And you usually dont have a 100% winrate <.<.

Am I missing something or is the fastest way to gear someone in honorgear simply through doing heroics for a few hours? Does this seem a bit weird to anyone else?
    Last edited by mmoc241f3fedf6; 2013-03-05 at 11:00 AM.

Why not do random BGs with a guild group instead? You are comparing guild speed dungeon runs to solo random BGs. That said the increase to JP gain is huge (up from a pathetic 35 JP per boss), so it could very well be the quickest honor/hour gain.

I don't know if it will be the case this time when the patch goes live, but random bg wins have given conquest points on wins during the season transition week (when no arenas/rbg's are available.) If that's the case it may be worthwhile to do random bgs anways.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, one thing is certain - the amount of time it takes to run a 5 man dungeon with any group is pretty similar unless they are some godawful kind of terrible or raiders who are geared to the teeth.

It could be optimal, depending on your circumstances. It definitely is not as inconsistent as random BGs can be.

Quote Originally Posted by AvaEve View Post
    I don't know if it will be the case this time when the patch goes live, but random bg wins have given conquest points on wins during the season transition week (when no arenas/rbg's are available.) If that's the case it may be worthwhile to do random bgs anways.
    Yep, but if you don't have friends to Random with you're going to come across a heap of premades of the opposition with the same idea. For the OP with little gear I'd agree the JP conversion tactic would probably be best and probably try some Randoms when kitted out.

If you have guildies/friends who have decent gear and strive to clear each dungeon as fast as possible, yes it is viable and possibly even optimal depending how much pve gear you and your friends have.

Viable but not optimal.

dominion offensive + tol barad + BG spam with guildies will still be faster.

I forgot about TB, how much Honor does it give?

How can you get fast honor from Krasarrang world pvp?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Healingsara View Post
    Well the weekly victory quest gives 300 honour by itself, then you have the honour gained from the battle itself (losing grants you 150 honour, I forget how much for winning at least 200 maybe 250)

Destroying towers also grants honour.

Deleted
    This is exactly what i will do too.
    I only pvp for some fun in arena's, and literally can't stand battlegrounds.
    The first one i did in MOP was for my legendary quest...
    And on my monk i switched to middle of 5.1 (let's be honest, ret paladin will stay a crappy burst then no damage class forever, and prot is boooooring) i have NO pvp gear yet.
    And doing random battlegrounds i already hate with no pvp gear at all..? No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Healingsara View Post
    300 for weekly, a win gives 300-400 ish and a loss is still 150. Nobody destroys towers anymore so you can normally grab a win in the 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakesong View Post
    How can you get fast honor from Krasarrang world pvp?
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=93411 from the 3 rares. They have a 30 minute (~ish) respawn time, so I normally get a BG or two in between spawns.

JP conversion seems to be the way to go for sure, especially if you have little to no pvp gear. As I have a geared tank spec I can pretty much carry random heroics and clear each in 15-20 minutes (less if my friends are with me). At 230-400 honor after conversion, that's very hard to beat by running random BGs as you could potentially earn 1600+ honor per hour in heroics. Of course, you'll want to get your daily win out of the way.

Deleted
    Maybe it's just my server but its been a long while since I was in a TB where the towers werent destroyed. Even so, youre right, it's a truckload of honor (close to 800 if you include the weekly quest).

Ah well, will be doing a bunch of heroics anyways (to cap valor asap) so atleast now it feels like im 'cheating' but doubledipping (getting valor -and- useful honor).

Thanks for the replies everyone