Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Am i the only one hoping that the next expansion wont look like Burning Crusade ?

I mean, even if the Burning legion is our opponent, and i like the burning legion, i'm scared about the next expansion cause i don't want it to look like Burning crusade, i don't want the new zones to be shiny and flareful, same for the next pieces of stuff, happily i'm almost 100% sure that we wont go back to Outland (cause we already kicked the legion out of Outland), i didn't liked the artistic way of Burning Crusade and i was wondering if i was the only one.

Your thoughts on the new zones for the next expansion ?

Deleted
    If we're fighting the Legion, and Blizzard learned from their zone mistakes in Cataclysm, chances are we won't be doing it either in any world we've discovered yet, nor in any world with fancy peaceful views and lush forests. It'll be fel fire and other kinds of shit.

At least, that's my take on it.

You are a happy man.

Graphics is what matters to you ....

If you mean gear, BC has some of the best models in the game. Its not all dark and boring like Wrath gear and its not dragged through the mud like Cata gear. The stuff that people usually didnt like because it was colorful and bright is Naaru/Draenei gear which we could get in a BL exp if we go places Draenei have been.

If you mean terrain, Outland is awesome. It has a lot of variety and some of the most unique landscapes in the game. If they could make a new planet like Outland we would be lucky.

Most likely the gear they make for the next expansion will be as bad as it has been the last few exps. Thats what transmog is for.

Deleted
    But I like nice fluffy zones! I don't want to constantly wander through desolate fiery wasteland everywhere I go, I want to see fun happy zones with bunnies! Hehe

Funny, because I think TBC art and music are the best in the game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor View Post
    But I like nice fluffy zones! I don't want to constantly wander through desolate fiery wasteland everywhere I go, I want to see fun happy zones with bunnies! Hehe
    Yes but do we really need Kun-lai, Jade Forest, Valley, and Townlong to have nearly identical color schemes? Can we at least have a Xorothianesque zone?
    dictated but not read.

10+ Year Old Account
    i completely hate the zones in outlands. they are the ugliest in the game. one eyesore after another. the gear on the other hand.. some of the prettiest. i am skeptical about the legion stuff. i really dont want a burning crusade 2.0. i dont want a foreign world with huge mushroom trees, and blue grass. i dont want fel flames all over. so yah im pretty sure if it turns out to be that, im done with wow.

until then im happily enjoying MoP. and i will wait until the xpac is announced before making any rash decisions.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

15+ Year Old Account
    TBC models were amazing - best in the game. TBC music was great.

TBC art style out in the world was just awful. The color palette used in pretty much every zone except Nagrand and Terrokarr Forest just wore down my eyes to the point where I wished I was somewhere else. Don't get me wrong; it fit perfectly into the "destroyed world vibe" and all the other zones were quite varied from each other, but they were all just a massive pain to look at visually.

Awful things to look at for hours on end:
    Red on brown? Hellfire Peninsula.
    Green on black? Shadowmoon Valley.
    Brown on a slightly different brown? The worst of them all, Blade's Edge Mountains.

TBC had the best of a lot of things, but it had the worst zone art styles in terms of practicality.
    Last edited by Simca; 2013-03-04 at 04:36 PM.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

TBC models amazing: that there is a time that i am allowed to read it: I can remember when everyone hated the TBC-Model: too much crystals, too much purple, to much space technology; because of this blizzard made the WotLK-Models so rural.

And not everything was good, even today: Paladin T4+T5

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    TBC models were amazing - best in the game. TBC music was great.

TBC art style out in the world was just awful. The color palette used in pretty much every zone except Nagrand and Terrokarr Forest just wore down my eyes to the point where I wished I was somewhere else. Don't get me wrong; it fit perfectly into the "destroyed world vibe" and all the other zones were quite varied from each other, but they were all just a massive pain to look at visually.

Awful things to look at for hours on end:
    Red on brown? Hellfire Peninsula.
    Red on black? Shadowmoon Valley.
    Brown on a slightly different brown? The worst of them all, Blade's Edge Mountains.

TBC had the best of a lot of things, but it had the worst zone art styles in terms of practicality.
    Shadowmoon Valley was green on grey. Hellfire is a wasteland. I don't see you complaining about the all-red Blasted Lands (pre-cata). Zangarmarsh is gorgeous, Nagrand was gorgeous.

Dragonblight was literally grey on white the whole time. So was Icecrown, and Stormpeaks. Zul'Drak was mostly grey on white except for the scourge areas. Borean Tundra is all brown and snow. The Barrens ring a bell? How about the Burning Steppes and Searing Gorge? Badlands? Winterspring? Felwood is entirely that neon green. Silithus is tan. Tanaris is tan. Un'goro is several shades of green layered. How about the dingy blue cloud of Vash'jir?

Your argument is invalid, all of the WoW zones have the Star Wars planet syndrome. Ice Planet, Lava Planet, Forest Planet. Ice zone, lava zone, forest zone. The zones are thematically categorized, because that's what makes them zones.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think that they'll repeat the same styles if/when we do a Burning Legion expansion. MoP alone shows just how far the design team has come in terms of aesthetics.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

15+ Year Old Account
    I do hope it will be like BC/Outland, best xpac ever > demons and other worlds i love it.

So please Blizzard, let them demons come to me bro!
    That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange Aeons even Death may die.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning Crusade Zones were just awful.

They have some nostalgic appeal, I suppose, and the skyboxes were nice, but really... They were bland, color swamps with the same rehashed architecture across all zones. Moreover, it wasn't even cool architecture... they all looked like half-melted plastic models of buildings.

Hellfire was just red and boring. Red, red, and more red. The fel orc architecture didn't help at all either; nothing imposing or menacing about it, it just looked downright cartoony.

Terrokar... Terrokar would have been okay if it wasn't just "bone wastes" and "forest." Morever, the entire thing was shot through with bland mobs we've been fighting since level 10. Spiders and wolves? How original.

Blades edge would have been better if it actually stuck to its guns and cut out the repeated Terrokar forest segments. An Alien desert would have been kind of cool, but instead we got more arrakkoa and forest.

Netherstorm was just that seeping purple, dotted with squatter camps of blood elves, some nondescript draenei ruins we'd seen a thousand times before, and the eco domes, which would have totally made the zone if they weren't just lifts from Un'goro.

Shadowmoon valley... Perhaps it would have been passable if the ruins and whatnot were actually uniquely skinned, instead of being the same dauber brown pasted over ashen-green grey.

Nagrand would have been better if it wasn't so repetitive. It wasn't mountainous enough to be a mountainous zone, and was otherwise just flat and boring, meaning it was both hard to move around in but a bore to continually look at.

Zangarmarsh is the only zone I really liked. Alien Life forms, an actual alien-like ecosystem... the only thing that served to detract from it were the banal naga and ogres.

But what bothers me most about Burning Crusade is how decidedly non-alien it was. We had the same basic wolves, cats, spiders, owls, and a myriad of other repeated life forms all over outland, that served to detract more than what the truly "alien" life forms ever added.

Quote Originally Posted by Annarion
    Dragonblight was literally grey on white the whole time.
    I hated Dragonblight. The forested areas had a bit of charm, and the scourge areas had character, but the majority of it was boring.

So was Icecrown, and Stormpeaks.
    I'm not really too much of a fan of icecrown, but at least they made the huge scourge citadels a mainstay of the terrain, with a huge infrastructure built around them. A real problem with Burning Crusade was that everything looked so... temporary. Very few things seemed like they naturally matched with the terrain. This wasn't a problem in WotLk or Cataclysm.

Storm Peaks is similar to Icecrown citadel in this way, except Storm Peaks had a... soaring beauty to it, and a simplicity at the same time.

Zul'Drak was mostly grey on white except for the scourge areas.
    I loved the design of Zul'Drak; an entire zone crafted into a giant fortress city.

Borean Tundra is all brown and snow.
    Not really a fan of borean

How about the dingy blue cloud of Vash'jir?
    Don't go talking ill about vashj'ir. That place was beautiful.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-03-04 at 08:48 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by annarion View Post
    Dragonblight was literally grey on white the whole time. So was Icecrown,
    Dragonblight was purple and blue and white and grey and dark browns. Icecrown was nothing but blue and black and yes, it was a wasteland.

and Stormpeaks.
    Stormpeaks is one of the most beautiful zones in WoW. Yeah, it was white on grey, but it also had blacks, purples and blues in the skies, the Northern Lights, green from the trees up in the mountains, and golds and blues from the Titan Installations dotting the zone.

Zul'Drak was mostly grey on white except for the scourge areas.
    Zul'Drak is red and purple and light blue, brown and black and dark blue in places, with white at the upper parts. It's really a beautiful zone that seems to be eternally in twilight.

Borean Tundra is all brown and snow.
    Borean Tundra is red and blues and browns and white and grey. There's also some greener areas.

Winterspring?
    You mean the place with the beautiful fir trees and the snow and blue from the frozen ponds?

How about the dingy blue cloud of Vash'jir?
    Are you trolling? Say what you will about the questing in Vash'jir, it is one of the most colorful, visually stunning zones in the game. It's freaking beautiful.

Your argument is invalid, all of the WoW zones have the Star Wars planet syndrome. Ice Planet, Lava Planet, Forest Planet. Ice zone, lava zone, forest zone. The zones are thematically categorized, because that's what makes them zones.
    lol so angry...
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

TBC had ugly zone design for the most part, true. But then again, that was 2007. They made such huge leaps in terms of environment design since then. Just look at zones like Grizzly Hills, Vash'jir and Pandaria as a whole. Even if the next expansion takes place in Outland again, it most certainly won't look as ugly as TBC did, they'll make something cool out of it.

*snip poop*
    Your argument is invalid, yaddayadda
    Someone's very uptight. Here's a lollypop.
    Last edited by Pull My Finger; 2013-03-04 at 08:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Without resorting to trolling, my point was that you're ignoring the fact that most of the zones are dominated by limited thematic pallets. If you like, I can point out all the different and unique parts of Outland zones that break up the monotony of cloned texture squares. Oh and you can't dismiss the beautiful skyboxes from Outland and then turn around and talk about the aurora in Storm Peaks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Without resorting to trolling, my point was that you're ignoring the fact that most of the zones are dominated by limited thematic pallets. If you like, I can point out all the different and unique parts of Outland zones that break up the monotony of cloned texture squares. Oh and you can't dismiss the beautiful skyboxes from Outland and then turn around and talk about the aurora in Storm Peaks.
    Most of the skyboxes in Outland were nice. But they don't "save" the zones.

And Outland had too few "break up" parts, and the ones they did have just stuck out like sore thumbs. Coilfang Resevoir and the Naga encampments didn't add "interest" to Zangarmarsh, they just made it look crappy. Like I said, they actually serve to detract from the zone as a whole.

The few positive "monotony breakers" BC had were the singing ridges and Ethereal camps in blade's edge, the biodomes in Netherstorm (though they could have been much better,) and the Hand of Gul'dan and Black Temple in Shadowmoon.
    Last edited by Kaleredar; 2013-03-04 at 08:55 AM.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I really loved the burning crusade zones.

Hellfire is still my favorite zone. Zangarmarsh didn't do much for me but it was far from disappointing. Terrokar was great, nagrand was great, blades edge was great and shadowmoon valley was great. I absolutely loved netherstorm, probably my second favorite zone.

I am assuming you mean Outlands because the Burning Crusade was an expansion and not a zone.

If the next expansion is Burning Legion we will probably be going to another planet (Argus). So it will look like another planet (not Azeroth) that has been under the control of the Burning Legion.