Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Steam ****ing starts downloading!

so hai

So i just got the New Tomb Raider game today and was all giddy about geting to play it. So i start installing the game only to notice that steam stopt installing the game at 80% and then proceeded to think it was a good thing to start download those last 20%. And for some of u that might not be a problem but for me downloading something over 1GB takes a shit load of time.

So anyone know how to fix this and stop it from happening anymore?
    Because when i go out and buy a copy of a game i don't really like having to download 1/5 of the game when i should be able to install it all.

yeah i can't say i like steam whery much atm

Probably a day 1 patch.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    i dont even understand what youre asking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pixul View Post
    i dont even understand what youre asking.
    Pretty much this,

You don't wan't Steam to download your game?
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

Deleted
    ok i get disc i try to install but steam then stops the install and instead starts downloading the rest of the uninstalled content at 80% completion

i bought a game from a IRL store and it wont install all of the game

Deleted
    Do research befor you buy a game to see if there is a day 1 patch or not or buy the game on console is probably the only way you can avoid this (some games have patches on consoles however so its not a safe bet anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by MmoFanatic View Post
    ok i get disc i try to install but steam then stops the install and instead starts downloading the rest of the uninstalled content at 80% completion

i bought a game from a IRL store and it wont install all of the game
    Thats becos not everything is on the Dvd now days becos between launch and creation of the dvds a lot of bug fixes might have been done to the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh okay, I get it.

Yeah I'd have to agree with it probably being a Day 1 patch, sometimes things get missed
    Quote Originally Posted by eternalwhitemoon View Post
    Why strive to be excellent, when being just mediocre still kills the boss?

Deleted
    yeah but a 2gb day 1 patch is a bit over the top

I downloaded the game via Steam this morning, was just a solid 8.9gb download, with no additional downloads after.

Companies usually don't optimise their updates for people who need "shitloads of time" to download 1GB. I know it sucks, yeah...

Out of curiosity how did you manage to get an internet connection in Sweden that is so slow 1GB takes a lot of time to download? Unless you're using mobile internet, in which case you shouldn't be downloading anything like that in general.

Deleted
    well i live on the countryside and where i live i can only get internet from one company and they don't offer any higher than 4 MB where i live. oh and also i pay about 50 USD or 36£ for those 4 MB

10+ Year Old Account
    It's cause physical game copies are shipped way before hand (a month or two). Within this time it's possible they've fixed bugs or whatever update. Don't know what they did to make the file size that big, but that's the dev's thingy.
    Can only be patient =\

Deleted

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude your silly. Apparently you still think games are shipped as a finished product. Not even console games go without fairly large Day1 patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why I avoid Steam. I'm in the minority on these forums big time but I simply do not like Steam and have no reason to even get it. I'm the kind of person who actually gets up, goes out to a store and buys the physical copy and 95% of the time it's for console because these days almost all PC games require you to download an online service like Steam or Origin and I don't want to go through that crap. I just want to put in the game, type in the CD code and start playing why should I have to make an account with some online service? Is it really that necessary? I miss the days where you could just buy a damn PC game and not have to download all this crap in order to just play a simple game.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    This is why I avoid Steam. I'm in the minority on these forums big time but I simply do not like Steam and have no reason to even get it. I'm the kind of person who actually gets up, goes out to a store and buys the physical copy and 95% of the time it's for console because these days almost all PC games require you to download an online service like Steam or Origin and I don't want to go through that crap. I just want to put in the game, type in the CD code and start playing why should I have to make an account with some online service? Is it really that necessary? I miss the days where you could just buy a damn PC game and not have to download all this crap in order to just play a simple game.
    Same. I hate having to go through some service like that when all I want to do is play a damn game.

What do you think Xbox Live/ PSN are then?

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    What do you think Xbox Live/ PSN are then?
    Yeah but that's only for multiplayer and buying DLC and other download only games. You don't need to have Xbox Live and I'm pretty sure you don't need a PSN account to just play a retail game.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-03-06 at 12:24 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Geminiwolf View Post
    Yeah but that's only for multiplayer and buying DLC and other download only games. You don't need to have Xbox Live and I'm pretty sure you don't need a PSN account to just play a retail game.
    Mark my words its going that way.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Mark my words its going that way.
    probably not anytime soon, they would lose a lot of money when parents who are afraid of doing anything online and people who don't have internet stop buying games
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"