Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World of Warcrafts 'Big Lipped Alligator Moments'

To start, what is a 'big lipped alligator moment' you ask? Well, as brought forward into the media by the awesomely brilliant Nostalgia Critic and Nostalgia Chick:

First coined by The Nostalgia Chick in the "Ferngully" episode of The Nostalgia Critic, in which they did a duo review.

A random moment in a film that is obscure and utterly irrevalant towards the film's plot, serving no purpose and is never mentioned by characters after.
    In 'All dogs go to heaven' a'big lipped alligator moment' has a random musical number
    In 'Willy Wonka' The creep-ass boat ride scene with Wonka's 'poem'
    The pink elephants in Dumbo
    Now keeping those rules in mind for this, that being

- Something that appears out of nowhere
    - It offers no value or purpose to the story
    - Is never spoken of again after

Now using this, think of the questing and developing story in world of warcraft, it doesn't have to obviously be singing and dancing since wow doesn't have this, but it can be a moment in the game where you stop and think 'wtf was the point in that, it had nothing to do with the story I've been following', and then its more of less forgotten about after.

My example would infact be Brazie the Botanist and Basic Botany

honestly, have you ever thought to yourself, the seriousness of what is happening in hillsbrad, the forsaken blighting the land and some insane scourge wannabe undead turning the local farms into abominations. South shore turned into a cesspit, giant spiders roaming the land... and then THIS appears right outside a zone that in being decayed by undead, with a goblin doing a parody of plants vs zombies?

It has no meaning to the story in hillsbrad, it offers nothing by extension to what is happening there, and after you do the game once and get the pet, you forget about it afterward.

A BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT!!

So, going by that example, where else were there such moments in wow, in zones whos story has a sudden deviation from the overall story of the zone and does something that feels so pointless, and yet holds no value to the plot after you do it?

Deleted
    What a fucking stupid term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    I know but I love it, and it is quite purposeful when you look at its meaning relating to something in a story that is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    The hologram in the war room in Stormwind that was shown in the cutscene you see before you go to Pandaria. It was never mentioned before!

Eh, Brazie was a minigame set off to the side of a zone intended to lighten things up after the rather weighty 'bashing planted humans over the skull' stuff going on in the rest of Hillsbrad, though much of that zone was a joke anyway...

I mean look at this one

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:A_Fighting_Chance

Just kinda sad after all the seriousness in Silverpine.
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    The hologram in the war room in Stormwind that was shown in the cutscene you see before you go to Pandaria. It was never mentioned before!
    Yeah, I never did get that, wtf was that, a crystal ball-walkie talky we see nowhere else in the game/

Still, A BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT!

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, they had planned to make it some kind of daily quest, but that plan fell through.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

My understanding was the hologram was form of magic similar to scrying used for long range communication, but it can still be jarring.

I'm not sure if this counts, but there's a quest in ice crown where you bring the dismembered body of an argent paladin to a ebon blade DK and he somehow ressurects him good as new. o.O Not 'sews him up and makes him undead,' full blown ressurection. From a dk, to a dismembered corpse, back before they even made raise ally a full blown battle res.

this isn't funny and you should probably feel bad for making this thread

10+ Year Old Account
    Kinda feel that way about all of Stormstout Brewery. I don't understand the point of anything in that place. Maybe that's the moment for the whole expac.

Saving Gnomereggan.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I lost IQ watching that video, or just became more Gay.

Could be both....

That was disturbing.

Anyway my Big Lipped Alligator Moment~~~ would have to be Siege of Mt. Hyjal, the raid edition. It came out of nowhere, not even the Bronze Flight knew why we were going there. It was crazy over the top. And afterwards, it has no bearing whatsoever on the plot of the Infinite Dragonflight, Future Expansions, or even BC's plotline.

Deleted
    Mists of Pandaria

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Kinda feel that way about all of Stormstout Brewery. I don't understand the point of anything in that place. Maybe that's the moment for the whole expac.
    Oh yeah those dancing Hozen, WTF?? That's one of the most jarring that come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    Gonna have to agree with Striipes on this one
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    Yeah, I never did get that, wtf was that, a crystal ball-walkie talky we see nowhere else in the game/

Still, A BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT!
    That's not a big lipped alligator moment necessarily, though it does seem to be Strange in Context. But if such communication device never shows up again, it will be.

I think that the quests on the Badlands about "the day that deathwing came" are a huge BLAM. They serve no purpose at all and are all "just a dream"

Deleted
    This video is so amazingly unfunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    My first thought was actually the yakwash but ya the Brewery was a very strange place.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are you calling big lipped alligators irrelevant? Racist.

15+ Year Old Account
    Big-Lipped Alligator seemed like it was going to be racial to me (the blatant cajun black voice on some of the characters)... the term is kind of nonsensical/stupid how they actually applied it in the end.

That being said, WoW has had a few non sequitur moments, but nothing so hilariously out of place as some of those 80s cartoon ones, imo.