Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    What's bad is that pulling that much from the local economy is really going to hurt. GL to those affected by the upcoming losses.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    I'm somewhat surprised that we still have that many troops there.

Has there already been a major reduction since the Berlin Wall fell, or are the numbers similar to then?
    Much less numbers since the Berlin wall fell, but we were expecting the Soviets to invade then, so it made sense to have a large force ready to react.

I agree with this move, no point in the UK army being in Germany anymore, if Germany wants to take over Europe they are going to do it financially instead of by force and if they do well it's everyone else's fault for allowing it to happen.

I guess you could say it's a different war now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dejec1989 View Post
    I agree with this move, no point in the UK army being in Germany anymore, if Germany wants to take over Europe they are going to do it financially instead of by force and if they do well it's everyone else's fault for allowing it to happen.

I guess you could say it's a different war now?
    Again, having troops there had nothing to do with watching Germany, we were watching the Soviet union.

10+ Year Old Account
    yesss finally. Hopefully the US follows suit with some of our random bases everywhere

10+ Year Old Account
    70 years? Man I thought we were bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    An English team finally beats a German team on penalties in Germany so... our job is done. We've proven we we're better than the Germans now and can leave!

I know we were really watching for the Soviet Bloc
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Good for the Brits! Wish America would do the same instead of pouring more money into defense.

I'm not sure if this is true everywhere. I've read an article that once army bases are emptied out after being there for so many years it disrupts the local way of life. The people living there may of been employed by that base are even felt safe by it. Might be different depending on the people,but just looking at the other side of this.

Deleted
    i didnt even knew brit troops were there until this afternoon lol

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    I'm not sure if this is true everywhere. I've read an article that once army bases are emptied out after being there for so many years it disrupts the local way of life. The people living there may of been employed by that base are even felt safe by it. Might be different depending on the people,but just looking at the other side of this.
    Sorry for the locals, but I would put our troops ahead of the local German economy. I would prefer it if our lads are closer to home (driving distance) rather than only going back 3 times a year. The German economy may suffer, but the British one will benefit from this, and at the end of the day, we have to be a little selfish in these hard times.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 08:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    i didnt even knew brit troops were there until this afternoon lol
    20% of the British army are stationed in Germany (not including the reserves).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Sorry for the locals, but I would put our troops ahead of the local German economy. I would prefer it if our lads are closer to home (driving distance) rather than only going back 3 times a year. The German economy may suffer, but the British one will benefit from this, and at the end of the day, we have to be a little selfish in these hard times.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 08:52 PM ----------

20% of the British army are stationed in Germany (not including the reserves).
    20k soldiers? Not every local is working near the bases and even less people have something business related to do with those soldiers.
    Should only affect a few hundred people.

This wont only safe money to the UK but also for Germany. In 2005 Germany had to pay over 120m € for foreign forces. And 20k Soldiers, thats something about 10 to 15 barracks, not a great deal. US forces on the other hand will stay as long as they have no other base in Europe. And with Rammstein and the relative near harbour in Mannheim/Ludwigshafen, both in the middle of the continent, there are not many alternatives for the US.