Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I agree.
    MoP leveling is absolutely dreadful, the amount of HP the mobs have, often twice as much as the player yet they hit for nothing, it's like killing training dummies all the way to level 90.

People are acting like it takes a lot of time to go from 85-90. It only takes you between 12-16 hours playtime total. Pick a weekend and grind it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Naidia View Post
    Took them awhile to add 85 BoAs, give them awhile to add 90 BoAs. Too much blindness in this post already to respond to the rest.
    in cata both the cape and helm where 1 to 85 and you can buy it for gold from the guild vendor, i understand them not wanting peoples to rush with their main but why the new upgrade system don't bring them to 90? we are already far into the xpack there is no reason to keep this strong stance.

People are acting like it takes a lot of time to go from 85-90. It only takes you between 12-16 hours playtime total. Pick a weekend and grind it out.
    depending on how much time is left after playing your main 12-16 hours of playtime can be 2 weeks or more.
    Last edited by bufferunderrun; 2013-03-05 at 11:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by caervek View Post
    Obviously this issue doesn't affect me however unlike some raiders I don't see the point in taking satisfaction in this injustice, it's wrong, just because it doesn't hurt me doesn't stop it being wrong, the player base should stand together when Blizzard do stupid shit like this not laugh at the ones being victimised.

Quote Originally Posted by bufferunderrun View Post
    depending on how much time is left after playing your main 12-16 hours of playtime can be 2 weeks or more.
    12-16 hours is fine if it's 12-16 hours of fun.

But I wouldn't say repeating the same old quests for the 4th or 8th time is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by HardCoder View Post
    12-16 hours is fine if it's 12-16 hours of fun.

But I wouldn't say repeating the same old quests for the 4th or 8th time is fun.
    Then don't do it.

As I said, people (including me) level alts to make tons of gold and/or solo old raids for a better chance at a rare mount. Truth is, if you find leveling alts boring, you will also find constantly relogging to send items from one alt to another and killing the same bosses on 10+ toons every week boring. If you aren't mentally prepared for the gigantic grind that leveling (and playing) alts is, just don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    Then don't do it.

As I said, people (including me) level alts to make tons of gold and/or solo old raids for a better chance at a rare mount. Truth is, if you find leveling alts boring, you will also find constantly relogging to send items from one alt to another and killing the same bosses on 10+ toons every week boring. If you aren't mentally prepared for the gigantic grind that leveling (and playing) alts is, just don't do it.
    It was fine leveling alts in Cataclysm. I would run instances and BGs and do quests between them. I had 8x 85s and all of them with 2 maxed professions at the end of the expansion.

But instance and BG XP is so low now that this isn't a reasonable strategy. You can quest, or you can quest. Or if you don't like questing, then you can quest.

But instance and BG XP is so low now that this isn't a reasonable strategy. You can quest, or you can quest. Or if you don't like questing, then you can quest.
    Or you could level your cooking to 600 in all schools and be 90 within 1.5 hours with the help of a single macro and a few k gold. Yes, people do that. No, I don't know the exact details but it's possible.

Grinding mobs with the help of a lvl 90 guildie healer is also a possibility, saw multiple people do that with great success. You aren't limited to questing only.

15+ Year Old Account
    in cata both the cape and helm where 1 to 85 and you can buy it for gold from the guild vendor, i understand them not wanting peoples to rush with their main but why the new upgrade system don't bring them to 90? we are already far into the xpack there is no reason to keep this strong stance.
    All I said was give them time, don't be impatient with it, at this rate, it's inevitable that every piece you wear will be an heirloom by the last expansion, just give them time.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    *reads thread, fondly recalls MMO's where higher level gains were week long affairs, if not more.
    If any MMO took you a week for one level you were either incredibly slow or so bad that death penalties caused to you to have to level several levels to make up for them. In either case you can't blame the games for your own ineptitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeraxis View Post
    If any MMO took you a week for one level you were either incredibly slow or so bad that death penalties caused to you to have to level several levels to make up for them. In either case you can't blame the games for your own ineptitude.
    You apparently never played any of the original MMO's then. Asheron's Call in particular had one of the lengthiest leveling procedures there was, of course the ability scaling after a certain level was less and less......either way

On topic. Leveling is not hard. Anyone that complains about it either needs to a) look at what they really want to accomplish in a game, nothing should be handed to you b) look at how you are approaching it (let a bit of rested stack up and then level, if for nothing else the placebo effect of awmg im leveling faster)

tl:dr The leveling of alts system isn't broken, people being too lazy to put in effort are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by elrui View Post
    You apparently never played any of the original MMO's then. Asheron's Call in particular had one of the lengthiest leveling procedures there was, of course the ability scaling after a certain level was less and less......either way
    Wait out of the three most noteworthy starting MMO's (UO, EQ, and AC) you chose AC to state it had the lengthiest leveling procedures? I'm sorry but I have to call bullshit. Even EQ's Hell Levels could be ground out in less than a day with a decent puller at a great camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezzik View Post
    why would I do a dungeon? it doesn't even give you a bar of xp.
    I leveled on the release night 85-87 by doing dungeons only. Took us about ~4 hours as a group of 3 (tank, healer, dps) + randoms. We were doing Temple of Jade in less than 10 minutes. I'll let you do the math on how much XP we got from that and how many we run (hint: too many!)
    Educate the community: X-Perl is dead. Stop using it!

It was fine leveling alts in Cataclysm. I would run instances and BGs and do quests between them. I had 8x 85s and all of them with 2 maxed professions at the end of the expansion.

Doesn't make the statement "if you don't like it, don't do it" any less true, though.

Personally, i think Blizzard has done equal amounts of right and wrong this xpac, in the leveling area. Bare in mind i only have 1x 90, but 3 more 86s, and an 80, and countless alts below that range. I have done alot of leveling, not as much in MOP persay, but alot nonetheless.

From my perspective, MOP lacks the epic feel that both Wrath and Cata had to them. The environments, while certainly beautiful and artistic (definitely asian inspired which i LOVE) lack the scope that made the previous two xpacs that much better. I read an article on the web where the writer basically said the best reasons to play MOP are also the best reasons not to, meaning that WoW, while it has had a winning formula in the past, isnt changing much, and certainly not straying from their current path or taking risks.

What could have made MOP that much better, in the leveling respect was the sort of massive invasions and pvp-esque atmosphere that both Cata and Wrath had. I.E. who can kill LK fastest, Horde or Alliance? Who can defend the world best, Horde or Alliance. MOP certainly tries to match that sort of feel, but its lacking. So far the only HvA i have seen is the gunship/assault at the beginning of Jade Forest, and at the jade serpent battle. After that the game has me looking for stolen veggies, exterminating pests, wrangling lost animals, slaughtering mass quantities of mobs, and... farming. Like, actual farming.

Nothing about any of those tasks screams HERO. Certainly not like brazenly assaulting the gates of Icecrown Citadel (the quests, not the raid), trying to conquer an underwater land, or challenging the might of elder gods in the storm peaks. Just a few examples. MOP has you assault a family owned business under errant management, fighting off corrupted insectoids, corrupted bison, corrupted fish, corrupted monkies, etc. Throughtout all of the zones i have done, the alliance is almost constantly absent, except for, jade forest of course. Where is the WAR in WARcraft? Give us something epic like the Gunship battles and Saurfang encounter from ICC, especially after leading us into MOP with our gunship assaulting a presumably alliance stronghold...

But, imho, what WoW could REALLY benefit from is a makeover of the questing/leveling system. Not for pre MOP, i think all of that is just fine and dandy, but something more Epic for the slayers of a thousand raid bosses that we are. What do raiders enjoy after all, if not raiding? Maybe just be done with this quest=reward folly. It serves as nothing but a time sink. Granted, that is what Blizzard really wants, but its not what we, the players want.

What does literally EVERY MMO have in common? Quests. Why can't we get decent experience from our crafting and gathering profs? None of this 15k per node BS. Have some long, truly engaging quest lines. Give us enemies, and allies that we can really form a relationship with. Like that story you love where your favorite character is the one that doesnt survive the telling. Or that grey fantasy where characters aren't always black or white, but real and gritty. Maybe not in the George R. R. Martin sense, but characters we can actually like. Not just throwaway nobodies. Saurfang is a PRIME example of this, everyone in my guild loved him, none of us could wait to see what happened next. The Garrosh intrigue is a good example of how that sort of thing isn't altogether absent in MOP, but its still lacking.

Somebody, somewhere needs to figure out how to tell a story. And come up with something other than questing. Its all we ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringthane View Post
    Doesn't make the statement "if you don't like it, don't do it" any less true, though.
    I've had 2 toons sitting at 89 since November. One of them is still mounted on a broomstick. So, guess what, I don't like it, and I'm not doing it.

Now, I don't know how you think about games, but I think of it as a failure of the game designer when I can't find something I want to do in the game, over a period of months, that will gain me that one last level on two toons.

Quote Originally Posted by Elysara View Post
    Except...they are not. The zones are very different in style. Are you honestly telling me The Jade Forest looks exactly the same as the Dread Wastes or Kun-Lai summit?

So far, You have called anyone who disagrees with you a brainwashed Blizzard fanboy. And now you are starting to throw out "How great BC was".

Thinly veiled trolling?
    Thinly veiled? Try no veil at all.

Wish I could be bothered to level up my Priest/Lock/Shaman as they're my maxxed out Tailor, LW and Scribe (Tailor and LW are utterly useless with pretty much no access to harmony).

Sadly I agree with the 'it's too boring to bother' - maybe not too long if you sit there and force yourself into doing it, but certainly too boring to bother in the first place, even if fully rested. Gearing the alts at level 90 is somewhat enjoyable - getting them to 90 in the first place is just a total tedious snoozefest of looting 10k items and killing 10k mobs while trying to run around as much rubbish as possible without a flying mount, auto accepting quests without reading them/skipping all the videos as you've seen it all before and just don't give a f anymore.

So yay at being ripped off on the AH because they've made certain professions nigh on worthless if you're not 90 - but it's sadly better than being bored to tears forcing myself to level any more alts, until they fix either flying or looms or...change something. Couldn't even level my miner/herber to 90 by actually mining and herbing like I did in Cata, due to the whole retarded no BoA flying tome for alts thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bany View Post
    why are you playing an mmo ?!
    i know that wow totally ruined and wattered down the genre but this doesn`t seem like the type of game for you
    Exactly, they have watered it down, the guy who said you can level 4 toons without overlapping is full of crap, it's the same quests, every time. In tbc, vanilla, even wrath and tbc, you had options. you had more zones to pick. Pandaria is very good as a story, but also very linear. WOW isn't a leveling mmo, it's a End-Game MMO.
    It was never Hardcore Vs Casual. It was Socialites Vs. Solo players
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    World of Warcraft started life as a Computer Roleplaying Game, where part of the fun of the game experience was pretending to be your character. Stuff like applying poisons and eating food enhanced the verisimilitude of the experience of playing a fantasy character in another world. Now that game has changed to become a tactical arcade lobby game.

this is why ill wait at last for the boa fly license, if blizzard never introduce it my alts will skip pandaria till next xpack when they nerf the xp required for each level; i still don't understand why blizzard cut off all the good shortcuts we once have for alts, no fly boa, no heirlooms all the way to the cap, shitty rep to grind again etc.
    Basically summed up my feelings.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 08:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by roahn the warlock View Post
    Exactly, they have watered it down, the guy who said you can level 4 toons without overlapping is full of crap, it's the same quests, every time. In tbc, vanilla, even wrath and tbc, you had options. you had more zones to pick. Pandaria is very good as a story, but also very linear. WOW isn't a leveling mmo, it's a End-Game MMO.
    Again how i feel. Blizzard is now like the game is about raids / heroics. So why if that being the case don't you have toons start at 90. After you get your first 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    I remember when you ran out of quests when hitting 50 and had to grind to 60.
    And getting to 60 in under a month was a big deal.
    And people actually enjoyed the journey instead of just getting to endgame so they can sit in a line to get their pixels.
    You can't compare leveling 1-60 in vanilla to leveling 85-90 in mop.
    Things change you know......

Hitting max level for the very first time is a whole different experience than hitting max level for the 5th time.....
    Getting to max level was in those days a journey and a very exiting one... nowadays hitting max level nowadays is just a mean to start end-game; it isn't a journey anymore nor does it contain the same excitement.