10+ Year Old Account

TF or mid lane in general help

So recently I got TF as sort of a way to get back into playing mid. I figured he's not that hard to learn and he kinda wasn't. After all that talk I heard about his w being hard to master ((*could be suffering from really good draw syndrome*)) But anyway I've read up on his lane matches and how he should always use his ult to gank with the jangler or just harass another lane when gets the option to. I am still having some issues with mid in general being that I'm TF I get ganked a lot when I'm ahead or when mid seems to get pushed easy. ((My fault really)) But I was just hoping there was someone around that could maybe help me out like when to buy wards if I need them or is it good to ult just so you know where everyone is. ((waste the first part when it comes up.))
    or if QSS or QS ((quicksilver sash)) should be my second item depending on what I'm going against. I'm not asking for an easy mode mid however easy TF seems. Thanks for the help in advance.
    I'll do something witty and clever in this box one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Fenth View Post
    So recently I got TF as sort of a way to get back into playing mid. I figured he's not that hard to learn and he kinda wasn't. After all that talk I heard about his w being hard to master ((*could be suffering from really good draw syndrome*)) But anyway I've read up on his lane matches and how he should always use his ult to gank with the jangler or just harass another lane when gets the option to. I am still having some issues with mid in general being that I'm TF I get ganked a lot when I'm ahead or when mid seems to get pushed easy. ((My fault really)) But I was just hoping there was someone around that could maybe help me out like when to buy wards if I need them or is it good to ult just so you know where everyone is. ((waste the first part when it comes up.))
    or if QSS or QS ((quicksilver sash)) should be my second item depending on what I'm going against. I'm not asking for an easy mode mid however easy TF seems. Thanks for the help in advance.
    I am only in Silver 4 so my advice may not be as fantastic as some of the other posters' on this board, but I can do my best.
    To be honest I hardly build QSS on TF, I feel like Zhonyas is a better option overall - for my playstyle that is. You can pull off some fantastic baits especially since you were mentioning that you pull a lot of jungle aggro with how aggressive you play your lane.

There are times when pushing your lane is good, and there are times when freezing is even better. If you are pushing up to his tower, and not strictly going for last hits, while you do not have any ward coverage, then you are already making a mistake in my opinion. Aim to buy at the very least one ward on your backs so that you can cover one side. With one side covered, you can start to play more confidently on that side of the lane. Ganks from the opposite side will be almost futile, because you can easily run to your warded side.

You probably know this trick too, but try and keep an eye on where the enemy jungler is at all times. If you see him ganking bot, you know he will be on that side of the map for awhile, and may even attempt a gank from that side of the brush. Also, try and watch which side the enemy mid player leashed from, because unless the enemy jungler is a champion such as Vi or Lee Sin, they will grab the next buff before ganking a lane, so you already know which side he may be ganking from.

You may or may not have already known all of this, like I said I am only a Silver 4 player right now, but I am always striving to better my play and knowledge of the game as a whole. I look forward to reading other responses to learn a thing or two .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorohon View Post
    You can pull off some fantastic baits especially since you were mentioning that you pull a lot of jungle aggro with how aggressive you play your lane.
    Aim to buy at the very least one ward on your backs so that you can cover one side. With one side covered, you can start to play more confidently on that side of the lane. Ganks from the opposite side will be almost futile, because you can easily run to your warded side.
    Well I'll keep that in mind. Wards seem to be a odd purchase for mid when I think about it. Like I was playing as Diana in mid just now I bought a few of them their jungler was Mundo... but still I had managed to afford death cap around 16 minutes in on top of sorc shoes and a few wards it was a fun game. But yea seems like a legit thing to do. I'm bronze four by they way so any help would be great because apparently I'm bronze for a reason as other people like to say. Not that I mid in ranked or anything.
    Last edited by Fenth; 2013-03-05 at 07:12 PM. Reason: because janglers

Quote Originally Posted by Fenth View Post
    Well I'll keep that in mind. Wards seem to be a odd purchase for mid when I think about it. Like I was playing as Diana in mid just now I bought a few of them their jungler was Mundo... but still I had managed to afford death cap around 16 minutes in on top of sorc shoes and a few wards it was a fun game. But yea seems like a legit thing to do. I'm bronze four by they way so any help would be great because apparently I'm bronze for a reason as other people like to say. Not that I mid in ranked or anything.
    wards should never be an odd purchase in any lane. everyone needs to ward - all 5 teammates - not just the jungler or support.

10+ Year Old Account
    A cornfield by a raceway with a tornado flying through (Indiana)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAWRF View Post
    Wards are your friends. Every time you back you should be buying at least one ward, of not 2 or 3. When you do that and figure out where to place them to protect yourself you will have noticeably better games simply due to the vision advantage.
    This this this, especially for toons like TW who don't have a reliable escape.

Mid is going to get ganked more than any other lane. If you don't know exactly where the enemy jungler is, assume they have a mind to gank you. Keep both river bushes warded at a minimum before attempting a push, because if they think you are an easy gank they will go after you like crazy. The best way to dissuade them is to keep getting away and always keep an eye on your minimap. After you get a feel for how the junglers and your lane opponent go, you can play accordingly.

His ult takes practice, and can even be used to "assist" your team by cleaning up at another lane or revealing counterganks. You can use it just for map awareness, but I would only recommend that in very specific circumstances, like multiple opponents MIA at the same time (can scare them away from dragon or Baron).
    Light or darkness...which are you blinded by?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    wards should never be an odd purchase in any lane. everyone needs to ward - all 5 teammates - not just the jungler or support.
    This should be on the loading screen of any game, as a main support I just hate when someone writes "we need more wards" and I'm the only one warding and there are usually 3 or 4 wards down in that moment.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyrosso View Post
    This should be on the loading screen of any game, as a main support I just hate when someone writes "we need more wards" and I'm the only one warding and there are usually 3 or 4 wards down in that moment.
    This! So much truth in it.
    As for warding mid, don't try to place it in the brush closest to you but the one further down, same with top, this way you can see if they try to towerdive you from behind while their mid pushes. (happens allot in my games lately) Although it depends from player to player and how aggressive they are.

Deleted
    I have played quite a lot of TF, so I can give you some pointers. But, as others said, I am not high rated. Never really played ranked, managed 1270 elo during placements, normal elo averaged around 1700-1800 (back when you could read this).

TF's strength lies in poke and high, spread out damage, plus the ability to push rapidly - lichbane on towers = GG.
    Pre-6, you aren't very strong. You can set up very good ganks with your stun card. Don't be too obvious about it though, if you pick a card, lock yellow and start running towards them, they'll know what you (and your jungler) are up to...

Farm and keep your mana up using Blue card to last hit if necessary. You can poke with it too, but be careful that he doesn't out trade you. Using the AA boost with a yellow and Q does a lot more, and he can't counter attack.
    Once you are 6, you can push your lane and see if you can gank. On low ELO, it's hard to do this since you need your allies to come to your aid. Best is to gank with your jungler, or to countergank. This way it's already set-up and going, then you just join the fight.
    The other option is that you keep pushing waves/towers and use your ultimate to get away (need to ward so you have enough time!).

Yes, being perfect with your Card picks helps a lot, especially setting up ganks, but managing to poke/damage safely in teamfights is rather hard. You need to stun anyone diving you/your AD while throwing out Cards and hitting as many players as you can, and AA'ing for Lichbane.

In tournaments, I see a lot of players start with the "support" item Twin Shadows. The slow is fantastic, and it's a really good and cost effective mid item. After that, I think a lot of players rush Lichbane (for pushing power), or pure AP through deathcap/Hourglass. Another trick, use your ultimate, port into their team, see them (possibly) waste ulti's or abilities, and you hourglass before you teleport (cancels the teleport). Downside is, your ult and hourglass are on cooldown

Good luck@!

Deleted
    I don't know, he is not bad but the thing is...there are way better picks.

If played right he somewhat scary lategame, but few TF,s do.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    I don't know, he is not bad but the thing is...there are way better picks.

If played right he somewhat scary lategame, but few TF,s do.
    He is probably the best mid lane for soloqueue in the game just simply due to his ultimate and push potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just had a normal game their juggler was nocturne. ((I found out that no TFs ult doesn't reveal during nocturnes haha.)) I went 4/0/1 the game seemed lost at one point.
    Yea wards felt much safer with them even tho nocturne never ganked mid.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by VoxLupus View Post
    He is probably the best mid lane for soloqueue in the game just simply due to his ultimate and push potential.
    I see people say this all the time but after playing as/with/against TF many times I feel he is very overrated. Many mids can push just as well if not better and your ult relies on good coop from your teammates. Meanwhile if you're ulting a lot you probably lost your lane. lategame most of the time your reliance on AAs is going to get you killed and it's risky to TP into any enemies unless you have a huge hp advantage.

Just silver scrub opinion