Deleted

Dead Space 4 possibly cannceled according to "inside source"

http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/de...d_space_3.html

"UPDATE: EA has responded with the following official statement:

"While we have not announced sales for Dead Space 3, we are proud of the game and the franchise remains an important IP to EA."

ORIGINAL STORY: EA has ceased development on Dead Space 4 and effectively axed the series following lower than anticipated sales of Dead Space 3, VideoGamer.com has learned.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a source familiar with the unannounced project told VideoGamer.com that Dead Space 4 had been in pre-production at Visceral Games, with a small team at Visceral Montreal allegedly tasked with developing prototypes and mock-ups for the title, and collaborating on ideas for the game's narrative.

However, the project was cancelled after Dead Space 3 failed to meet its sales targets, our source claims, telling us that EA executives visited Visceral Montreal last month to inform staff that the project had been terminated and announce details of the company's restructuring.

Visceral Montreal is rumoured to have closed following the restructuring.
    dead space1 -

Though EA had yet to announce Dead Space 4, Dead Space 3's cliffhanger ending suggested that a fourth game had been planned by the publisher.

As well as discussing Dead Space 4's alleged cancellation, our source also gave us further insight into Dead Space 3's development, telling us that the game was almost cancelled partway through its development, and saw continuous cuts made to its budget throughout production.

Weapon-specific ammo was allegedly switched for generic ammo late in development, too, as a method for shoehorning in the game's controversial micro-transactions.

EA also advised Visceral that Dead Space 3 needed to appeal to a wider audience than the series' previous two titles, our source added, and the studio was reportedly told to focus on action over horror in an effort to make the game feel more like BioWare's Mass Effect.

Our source's comments tally with those made previously by EA.

Last year, EA Labels president Frank Gibeau suggested that Dead Space 3 would need to sell around five million copies in order for the series to survive.

"In general we're thinking about how we make this a more broadly appealing franchise," Gibeau told CVG, "because ultimately you need to get to audience sizes of around five million to really continue to invest in an IP like Dead Space.

"Anything less than that and it becomes quite difficult financially given how expensive it is to make games and market them."

Though sales figures for the game have yet to be officially released, the game's first week sales in the UK were down 26.6 per cent on the game's predecessor Dead Space 2.

In the weeks following its release, Dead Space 3 has gradually slipped further down the charts. The game currently sits at no.8, placing behind last year's Need For Speed: Most Wanted, Far Cry 3 and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

EA announced plans to restructure its Los Angeles and Montreal studios in February, stating that though "many employees are being retrained for new positions... a small number will be released".

A former Visceral Montreal employee claims to have told Game Informer that "the entire studio has been laid off".

EA told VideoGamer.com that it does not comment on rumour or speculation when contacted about Dead Space 4's alleged cancellation."

This all smells true enough to me, despite EA's response to the claims. They just need to stop destroying the few unique IPs that they have/had. It'd be a pity to see Visceral go down in flames after this. Hell, half expecting the next game (if it isn't actually written off already) to be called Dead Space 4: Warfighter and be as generic and mulch like as possible.

The fact that they needed to break 5 million sales with the game suggests to me that they dumped at least $120,000,000 into the game's production. Something that it clearly didn't need or benefit from. What they should've done was kept it it more focused and chopped the co-op.

By trying to "broaden" the game's appeal, they damned it to mediocrity and shot down any chance of mass sales based on a solid follow up to the first two games.

Never played a Dead Space game, but I do follow news and EA has buried another franchise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow EA....

"EA also advised Visceral that Dead Space 3 needed to appeal to a wider audience than the series' previous two titles, our source added, and the studio was reportedly told to focus on action over horror in an effort to make the game feel more like BioWare's Mass Effect."

I wonder why the sales of Dead Space 3 didn't meet your expectations. Why do they think making Dead Space 3 more like Mass Effect (another game they ruined) will bring in more people to the game. For fuck sake EA, people loved this series because of it's horror and scary feeling, so they go and take out the core aspect of the game which was horror and make it more action-y "like Mass Effect" in hopes to bring in more people. I also hate how they're the ones who decide which direction the game goes whether it have more action or horror. So it's just like well who's really making the game here EA or Visceral? My god EA this is why people fucking hate you. You ruin games and not only that but apparently you also ruin lives by releasing a whole studio of honest workers.

I think it's better to leave the Dead Space series as it is before EA destroys it even more.
    Last edited by Pony Soldier; 2013-03-06 at 12:53 AM.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

"You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

//edit: seems it's fake

Closing. It's a fake story.