Upgrade for Rift help please?

I want rift to run on ultra. Currently I'm getting 16 fps in a mob filled rift and I want at least 40. Im running a gtx 470 and an outdated E8400 cpu. My upgrade will be an i5 2500k with 8 gigs of ram. Z68 chipset. Will I see these results with this upgrade or will i be missing something?

Your gpu, while a little old, should handle Rift nicely. The MB/CPU/RAM upgrade should give the desired results. I would still advice you to buy a 3570k and a Z77 MB instead as it gives better performance for not that much more money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, you're choosing stuff to upgrade with that's already starting to be considered dated. Your best bet is to post with the questionnaire including budget and what you want to do.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your best bet to run Rift the most smoothly for a decent cost is some Z77 motherboard, i5-3570K, and an NVidia GPU, GTX 660 Ti and up.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

They'll be fine but, can you wait a few months. If I were you I'd hold out for the 1150 or the end of the line deals to be had. Haswell won't be a major jump in performance but, at least you wont be stuck on a dead platform.

10+ Year Old Account
    1155 will hardly be a 'dead' platform, and I imagine with Haswell prices, people will be buying 1155 well into 2014.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    1155 will hardly be a 'dead' platform, and I imagine with Haswell prices, people will be buying 1155 well into 2014.
    That would be really silly, it is like buying a 2500k now, you save maybe $10-$20.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

i5-3570K? Isn't that Ivy Bridge and doesn't Ivy Bridge run 20 degrees hotter then Sandy Bridge? I was under the impression Ivy Bridge was only better for integrated graphics.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serithin View Post
    i5-3570K? Isn't that Ivy Bridge and doesn't Ivy Bridge run 20 degrees hotter then Sandy Bridge? I was under the impression Ivy Bridge was only better for integrated graphics.
    Whoever told you that is a moron.

Ivy Bridge:

1. MAY run hotter than Sandy Bridge, when a certain overclocked voltage point is reached and multiplier. Some chips are lower, some higher, but either way, they will need some overclocking, sometimes hefty OCing, before they actually start to run hotter.
    2. Is about a 10% improvement in general power over Sandy Bridge, supports PCI-E 3.0, more SATA 6Gb/s, more USB 3.0, and requires less power, not to mention it seems to support higher clocked RAM as well.
    3. If you're planning to OC that hard, you might as well go all the way and do what some enthusiasts have done and split the CPU apart to take out the internal heat-transfer stuff and put in better stuff. Not sure why Intel flubbed on this one. n0cturnal should have some links on this, he knows more about it - I'll bug him. ^_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Is the thermo material they used the primary reason it runs hotter? Is there any other contributer to the higher temps? From a video that I watched the die uses less space on the cores and more space on the integrated graphics vs sandy bridge.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serithin View Post
    Is the thermo material they used the primary reason it runs hotter? Is there any other contributer to the higher temps? From a video that I watched the die uses less space on the cores and more space on the integrated graphics vs sandy bridge.
    Basically, it's packed into a smaller space, but it's also more efficient. Heat wise, they're about the same until you start shoving a LOT of power (in the 4.7ghz+ range) into it

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Really, do you still recommend people buy a 1156 MB? No, of coarse not. It's a dead platform just like the 1155 is about to be. If it was me I'd wait for the newer socket.

Dead and dead, If someone owns a 1156 socket right now, I wouldn't advice them to upgrade. The 1156 CPU's are still capable enough for all games on the market and they are actually quite easy to OC to sandy stock levels of performance as they are among the coolest cpu's I have ever encountered.

The Ivy Bridge is awesome compared to the Sandy clock for clock, but as you point out, the sandy has a higher OC potential with normal cpu coolers. There is no way you will exceed 4,8GHz on a 3770K on a normal aftermarket CPU cooler. To do this you have to have a custom waterloop with high flow. My sig show's my 3770k at 4,6 but I do have a 4,8GHz clock profile as well which I intend to use once I get my NF-F12's for my H100i. The 4,8GHz is stable at 1.395Vcore, problem: at 100% Load it goes to 82-83c, hoping the Noctua fans will solve this problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    problem: at 100% Load it goes to 82-83c
    Well. At least it's not lupus.