Gearing before tonights first 5.2 raid

OK! So some of you might have read my thread a about 3/4 weeks back when I was looking at swapping to a warrior for 5.2, well here's 5.2! Now, the rest of my raid is 505-509 ilevel, and I'm playing catch up, I haven't raided at all other than a few LFRs but I have stockpiled some points for today. See below for my armory link. I have available to spend; 3600 honor, 4000 JP, and 2200 VP.

My RL said 490. That's pretty much impossible at this stage, but it's normal modes - and they have stated there should be no DPS check bosses so maybe he can be swayed. I still want to boost as much as possible.

My plan was;
    Klaxxi VP Legs
    Klaxxi VP Belt

Convert JP to honor
    Honor Bracers
    Honor Shoulders
    Honor Ring
    Honor Back

Then try and get hold of some crafted 496 chest and hands and a DMC Trinket. Can anyone see a better path to take?
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Zikel/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Go put some pants on.

pointless to buy old items with valor, spend it only on the new 522 items, this will boost your ilvl much faster and less likely to be replaced by other things.

if what others have said it right, you can buy a 522 neck for 1250 at neutral, and a 522 ring 522 wrists at friendly both also 1250, friendly only needing 1 boss kill.

i don't know how long till honored but more 522 vp items open up.

Interesting, I heard you had to do a bunch of dailys before unlocking neutral?
    Go put some pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zik3l View Post
    Interesting, I heard you had to do a bunch of dailys before unlocking neutral?
    My understanding is that the neutral rewards are unlocked straight away. Therefore i would think it's more profitable in the long run to invest in the 5.2 valor gear unless you risk capping VP and overshoot it a lot (which does not seem to be the case here if you buy the neck right off the bat). Getting the friendly stuff will require running ToT LFR, which is released next week and requires an ilvl of 480. You still have some way to go before getting that ilvl, but with the 522 neck and increased drop rates in the 5.0 LFR, you should be able to hit that before capping VP. If you risk capping, you can buy for example dominance offensive ring, which is pretty cheap and ok value. Rings are generally a pita to find as loots in my experience :P

Relic of Xuen was one of our strongest trinkets (even part of BiS in some setups) pre-5.2, so if you can get your hands on it cheap it could be worthwile until you can get some 5.2 trinkets. Someone might start bashing me for this but a pretty good tool to determine best value for upgrades is askmrrobot once you get the correct stat weights in it (this obviously requires an up to date SimC for 5.2)

I do, however, sincerely doubt that your ilvl is going to cut it for normal mode ToT even if the dps checks are more lenient. The general consensus seems to be that 490 is a minimum approximate to aim for.

If they are all 505-509 ilvl and they treat you as an equally skilled player/value you in their raid/guild... then they will take some time to run you through H MSV/H HOF/H TOES since it got nerfed to get you prepared for throne of thunder.

You main switched for THEIR benefit, correct? So then they should have no problem spending a few hours running you through old content to get you caught up on gear before doing the new 5.2 raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromnak View Post
    If they are all 505-509 ilvl and they treat you as an equally skilled player/value you in their raid/guild... then they will take some time to run you through H MSV/H HOF/H TOES since it got nerfed to get you prepared for throne of thunder.

You main switched for THEIR benefit, correct? So then they should have no problem spending a few hours running you through old content to get you caught up on gear before doing the new 5.2 raid.
    This is the appropriate response. There is no catch up mechanism anymore. It's back to Vanilla and Burning Crusade gearing where if the raid wants to catch you up, they need to sacrifice losing a better geared person, and running through the old stuff in order to do it.

With that said, you can get to friendly without killing a boss. Farm trash til 2999/3000 and then turn in your quests for the three rare drops and that will push you up to friendly, so for someone in your case, you can get your three 522 items, reforge, enchant etc. and be better prepared for the raid. However like Gromnak said it's your raids responsibilities to catch you up now just as it was in vanilla and Burning Crusade.

Deleted
    I'd suggest getting the neck from the new raid rep as has already been stated, then going with a thunder king's palace key and grabbing as many old world tokens as possible, then just clearing a HC MSV/HOF, that should set you up pretty good

Thanks for the posts guys, I ended up raiding on my 508 monk last night after all. We just geared a trial up during T14 progression (from 460 ilevel as they rerolled for us). I explained that it's pretty much impossible to work full time, raid 4 nights a week and maintain some sanity / sleep levels whilst gearing an 'alt' to 490 by myself - 90% of the guild logs on 10min before raid, and off 10min after raid. This being said they want me to farm LFR for a while and see if the drop rates increase make it a little better.

Originally in 5.1 we were Melee stacked to the point of having 1/2 ranged, I leveled a hunter to 90 and got it ready to come in for farm only for us to want to speed through farm for time on progression so I think it saw a few bosses. Then we recruited a semi-geared hunter and a Spriest which balanced it out a lot more, however our only Str dps quit the game and so we had a huge gear sink. This coupled with the fact that playing WW monk is like giving a concert pianist a triangle made me want to look at a class swap - which they agreed to.

At least Storm, Earth & Fire makes WW a little more bearable to play for now...

Edit: I also don't think that it helps that WW is insanely powerful right now and everyone keeps referencing how crazy they are simming.
    Last edited by Zik3l; 2013-03-07 at 02:23 AM.
    Go put some pants on.