Rogue: beginner advice

I was wondering if there are any up-to-date sites or guides that shows current best in slot items, best specs, best rotations, stat and skill priorities etc for rogues? I thought elitist jerks would be the best but their guide is out of date and doesn't comment on the best in slot items.

If something like this doesn't exist, maybe someone can help me answer my basic rogue questions:

1) I'm starting from level 1 on a PVP server. I heard Subtlety is great for both PVE and PVP so I'd like to level as that. Is Subterfuge, Nerve Strike, Leeching Poison, Shadowstep, Dirty Tricks and Anticipation a decent spec for this?

2) How are rogues for solo leveling? Am I going to run into huge problems? I'm an experienced leveler but I've never played a rogue before.

3) Can I use one poison at a time or is it one poison per weapon? I'm guessing leeching poison will be pretty useless during PVE raiding if it only heals and does no damage?

1. I don't find Subt to be a particularly good leveling spec. Some people like it though. It's a good choice as far as PvP, but other specs may be better at lower levels.
    2. Rogue is my favorite leveling class simply because Stealth. You do have to be more careful as a rogue than most other classes, but it's a fun style.
    3. You get to use 1 lethal poison (deadly/wound) and 1 utility poison (crip/mind-numbing/leeching/paralytic); poisons are not applied to MH/OH anymore. Both weapons proc both poisons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I leveled as Assassination up till Wrath content, when I switched to sub. I found I could kill non-elites in the space of a cheap shot, and at the time, having shadowstep boosted leveling speed dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

Deleted
    so... short story, my wife started to play as a rogue 2 years ago. she was a noob as far as mmo goes, so it was all new. she found out ( with a little hlp) that combat was the "easy" spec for leveling, not having to move around alot or use alot of abilitys to throw down the oponent in pve. as far as leveling she could use sinister strike and evecerate most of the time ( she didnt and still dosnt like dungeons )

my advice as an old-timer mmo player is, that you should try the different specs , and think about how you wants to level - do you like solo content for leveling, or are you a dungeons-crawler? or are you into PvP?

imo combat is best all-around for new rogues, but assasin for dungeoncrawler, and sub for dungeoncrawler / pvp

Currently leveling a rogue as sub, and its pretty easy going. Almost nothing within 3 levels of my current level lives through cheap shot to 4-5 pt eviscerate. I personally went combat readiness in case of too many mobs pulling, and elusiveness for better spot survivability, but you can easily go with your talent choices.

I have previously leveled a combat rogue to 85, and I find sub to be more bursty, due to FW, but much more of a lame duck outside of FW. I dont really recall from when I was leveling comabt, but the main annoying thing with sub is that you dont really get any of the fun skills/spells until seemingly a good chunk of levels go by. For example, you will be hemo spamming until level 30 or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
    1. I don't find Subt to be a particularly good leveling spec. Some people like it though. It's a good choice as far as PvP, but other specs may be better at lower levels.

sub have most burst.... Find Weakness debuff when u attack from ambush/garrote/cheap shoot - fast was to kill single target! even in pve.

dont use cheap shoot always use ambush ... top dmg in dungeons (even with dk tanks, but u need to be hierloomed and know how to maintain buffs)

Thanks for the replies I think I'll go subtlety with the spec I said in my first post, it sounds like it's pretty good for solo pve levelling and pvping.

Quote Originally Posted by AseyBL View Post
    sub have most burst.... Find Weakness debuff when u attack from ambush/garrote/cheap shoot - fast was to kill single target! even in pve.

dont use cheap shoot always use ambush ... top dmg in dungeons (even with dk tanks, but u need to be hierloomed and know how to maintain buffs)
    I have no heirlooms, I'll be starting from scratch with nothing. I stopped playing a few years ago and my account was hacked during that time, so I have pretty much no items or gold in my other characters. Heirlooms would be nice but I'm not even sure how to get them with a goldless, naked character.

If you're a new rogue I would not worry about BiS gear for a while. Leveling is as simple as taking the best items you can get (assuming appropriate weapon types per spec. BiS items should only be a concern for when you're level capped and playing at a high level (ie, clearing heroics). Concern yourself only with immediately obtainable gear.

Regarding which spec to level as, you can use any of the 3 specs, however once you get into level 80+ (cata/mists) mobs will start to survive the openers, and by the time you get to townlong steppes/dread wastes 88-90, mobs will have higher health pools than you do and will take longer to kill than find weakness lasts. When I was leveling my rogue, a 2 point slice and dice (18 sec) had to be refreshed before I was able to kill a mob in dread wastes.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-03-07 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboy View Post
    When I was leveling my rogue, a 2 point slice and dice (18 sec) had to be refreshed before I was able to kill a mob in dread wastes.
    wrong !

recuperate and sns always on 5 combo points, u MUST have glyph of deadly monumentum (after kill it refresh recup and slice and dice)

and subtelity is fo ROGUEish FTW !

Dont go combat aoe i is nightmare ( u will have no energy for dps), in sub/muti always DAGGERS in BOTH hands. i strongly recomend sub

btw u should learn to play in all specs in higher lvls
    Last edited by AseyBL; 2013-03-07 at 05:05 PM. Reason: btw

Quote Originally Posted by AseyBL View Post
    wrong !

recuperate and sns always on 5 combo points, u MUST have glyph of deadly monumentum (after kill it refresh recup and slice and dice)

and subtelity is fo ROGUEish FTW !

Dont go combat aoe i is nightmare ( u will have no energy for dps), in sub/muti always DAGGERS in BOTH hands. i strongly recomend sub

btw u should learn to play in all specs in higher lvls
    no not wrong. in dread wastes there is enough travel time and mobs take long enough to kill that deadly momentum loses a lot of its value. When something takes 20-25 seconds to kill that only leaves a 5-10 second window for movement, and a couple seconds of that are spent looting.

When I got to dread wastes I dropped glyph of deadly momentum because recuperate, and to a lesser extent, SnD started falling off more frequently, and other glyphs became more valuable (evasion comes to mind). Do note that I hit level 90 by ~7pm PST launch day, so slow was not a description of my leveling.

Realm first 90 rogue, and I leveled as combat, specced nightstalker, nerve strike, leeching, shadowstep, prey on the weak, glyphed for stealth, adrenaline rush, and deadly momentum, swapping out deadly momentum for evasion in dread wastes, and nerve strike for combat readiness.

Once I hit 90 I swapped out for shadow focus, added anticipation, then glyphed adrenaline rush & feint full time and swapping out 3rd glyph based on situational needs. I change talents and glyphs a lot more than I did while leveling.

I'm not saying what I did is definitely better, but it certainly isn't ineffective.
    Last edited by shadowboy; 2013-03-07 at 06:26 PM.

The reason I don't like Subt for leveling is you have to use energy/CP on stuns in order to use BS and SD instead of putting it towards more damage. I just found things died faster as Mut while having no downtime and great AoE capabilities. I've picked up the last two Realm First Rogue leveling feats as Mut.

If you're leveling in a PvP situation, obviously that's a factor too. I'm on a carebear server.