Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Thumbs down Has the mo-champion team changed the rules? Infraction issue

I haven't used mmo-champion in 2 years or so. My signature was made back in the day after shamans got nerfed hard, and I found it amusing. I recently came back here, and I suddenly got an infraction for my signature being too big, something that was commonplace in size when it was actually uploaded YEARS ago. Can a mod look into this? Thanks.

edit: seems you auto stripped the signature so you cant even see in the post what the problem is. -.-

Deleted
    Your signature was:
    Dimensions: 549px by 105px by 17.5kB.

The signature guidelines state: (emphasis mine)
    • Maximum amount of images, quotes and text in your signature: As much as you can fit within the other rules.
    • Maximum signature width: 500px total. If you have a 250px image and a 300px image side by side, that would be violating this rule.
    • Maximum signature height: 100px total. If you have a 75px image and a 50px image one below the other, that would be violating this rule.
    • Maximum signature filesize: 50kB total. If you have multiple images then the filesize is added between them. Smilies also count.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lol, removed for 49 pixels too wide 5 too tall. WOW...moderators are bored.

Quote Originally Posted by Woa View Post
    How far would you go? "Oh, it's only 50 over, it's fine!"... Then you might as well make it 550/100. Then you do the same and, well, you get the point.

Rules are there for a reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't take very many brains to look at an image and think that it's too big. That is not very big at all. Hardly over the limit, not a large file size.

Maybe if you see one that's like 800x600...sure..that's big. This is hardly over and you could remove them if there was a trend. Which there wouldn't be because that's, in my opinion, a really dumb thing to compete over?

No one sees someones sig size and says "Hey, his is big I'm gonna make mine a little bigger!"....No one.

It doesn't take very many brains to look at an image and think that it's too big. That is not very big at all. Hardly over the limit, not a large file size.

Maybe if you see one that's like 800x600...sure..that's big. This is hardly over and you could remove them if there was a trend. Which there wouldn't be because that's, in my opinion, a really dumb thing to compete over?

No one sees someones sig size and says "Hey, his is big I'm gonna make mine a little bigger!"....No one.
    No, but for a guess more people using bigger sigs makes people load things much slower, and I'm no expert, but I bet it also takes up some website space and stuff too.

I would. Just give me the word that you can go above 500x100 and I'll resize the pictures in my sig.

And don't insult moderators for doing their job.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know they put the numbers but I'm not very technical so if they could give an example for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable other then numbers I'd be cool with that. That's my suggestion anyways.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I know they put the numbers but I'm not very technical so if they could give an example for what is acceptable and what is not acceptable other then numbers I'd be cool with that. That's my suggestion anyways.
    Put a ruler up to your screen...

Lol jk. If you want to know whether or not your signature is the correct dimensions, copy the image into Microsoft Paint and crop the image -> it will show the dimensions on the bottom left of the program. For the number of bytes an image is, save the image, go to where you have the image saved (i.e. My Pictures), open the image -> right click it -> properties -> general tab, it should show you the number of kilobytes your picture has.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Lol jk. If you want to know whether or not your signature is the correct dimensions, copy the image into Microsoft Paint and crop the image -> it will show the dimensions on the bottom left of the program. For the number of bytes an image is, save the image, go to where you have the image saved (i.e. My Pictures), open the image -> right click it -> properties -> general tab, it should show you the number of kilobytes your picture has.

Touche good sir. Touche.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    If you don't know if your signature goes over the limit size allowed, you're free to PM any mod and ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post

Or in Firefox, right click, View Image Info.
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-04-01 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Or in Firefox, right click, View Image Info.
    Or in chrome, right click, inspect element. Press the magnifying glass in the bottom toolbar and hover over the Image.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use this chrome extension for it; gives you an image properties option in the right click menu:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...fmckaflngbmpon

Also, if you find out your signature image is greater than the allowed amount, try saving it as a PNG image instead of a jpeg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Also, if you find out your signature image is greater than the allowed amount, try saving it as a PNG image instead of a jpeg.
    Don't do that.
    PNG is a lossless image file. In general, if there is enough colors, your PNG file will be a lot bigger than a JPG which is a lossy file. JPG to begin with does a lossy compression in order to make the file size smaller. If you're saving with photoshop for example, when you do save as JPG, remove 'save with color index' or whatever that option is, it takes quite a few for those that concerns file size.

Really? In my experience swapping to PNG has reduced the file size, not increased it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's painfully easy to make sure your signature is the right size.

15+ Year Old Account
    Really? In my experience swapping to PNG has reduced the file size, not increased it.
    Yeah, jpg is usually much lower than png, but it also depends how the original jpg was saved. I've found that even just opening a jpg in paint and resaving still as a jpg sometimes lowers the file size significantly.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    To add: A sig that is a quote like mine is allowed, although it appears to be bigger in pixel size....
    We don't really worry about width in quotes/text because it can wrap nicely, unlike images. We do still pay attention to the height, so stacking quotes is usually too high unless it's just two quotes at one line each.

10+ Year Old Account
    Take an example of these two. (You might recognize these?)
    PNG 23.99

JPG 14.03kB

Remember that PNG is a 24bit image.
    While JPG has the potential to contain a 24bit color index, by nature it does a compression algorithm.

However for example if an image is only 8 colors, a PNG should be smaller in file size than a JPG, mostly cause the JPG algorithm actually can create more colors, and some programs do save JPG files with the color index for later use / modification if someone wants to (this can add up to 6-8kB sometimes).
    So if you can, uncheck that box.