Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Really? In my experience swapping to PNG has reduced the file size, not increased it.
    Take an example of these two. (You might recognize these?)
    PNG 23.99

JPG 14.03kB

Remember that PNG is a 24bit image.
    While JPG has the potential to contain a 24bit color index, by nature it does a compression algorithm.

However for example if an image is only 8 colors, a PNG should be smaller in file size than a JPG, mostly cause the JPG algorithm actually can create more colors, and some programs do save JPG files with the color index for later use / modification if someone wants to (this can add up to 6-8kB sometimes).
    So if you can, uncheck that box.

Regarding the PNG vs JPG thing: It's purely anecdotal of course, but I've experienced instances where signature sized (500x100) PNGs without transparency end up being smaller than sufficiently high-quality JPGs. That's always been with very simplistic cartoon graphics, though it doesn't have to be as low as 8 colors. However if you're saving an image with enough colors - evidently not a very high limit judging from your example Remi - you should roll with a high quality jpg.

A general tip that always works is "use the save for web tool and compare both formats before deciding". That way you'll always end up with the slimmest possible file, and if your editing software has such a slider, be able to tweak the Jpg loss levels to your liking. I'm fairly sure that tool exists in both Paint.Net and GIMP from what I've heard, so you shouldn't need photoshop (what I use) for that.
    PvE:er to the bone. Plays a druid. Also plays DotA and a whole bunch of other stuff. Listens to mostly everything.
    "We actually contracted out the creation of the equally-epic-yet-non-loot-dropping-non-boss mobs in Throne of Thunder to a giant snail. I think he did a pretty good job."
    - Blue Q&A

I'm sure it would be helpful to some users to add a 500px by 100px image placeholder to the guidelines page so some less informed people have an idea what that means.

Feral Druid Maintainer of SimC // Moderator at Fluid Druid forums
    Pawkets' Armory
    // Pawkets' Pro Raiders // <Forgotten Aspects>

Hello guys i want to ask you how can i get the permission to have a signature in my account because i'm new to mmo champion?

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Or in Firefox, right click, View Image Info.
    Is there any browser were you can't get this info fairly easy? In explorer to you right click and then properties.

---------- Post added 2013-03-24 at 04:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sorasan View Post
    Hello guys i want to ask you how can i get the permission to have a signature in my account because i'm new to mmo champion?
    Couldn't find any info on this, but I think you needed to hit a minimum amount of posts. Not sure how many it was.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2013-03-24 at 03:41 PM.
    It's almost always the wrong argument to compare yourself to the highest DPS specs out there. "Middle of the pack" is actually where everyone is supposed to be. -Ghostcrawler
    DPS Tuning
    •Yes, this is a roller coaster. Our process is to try things out and iterate if we don't like them. If the churn offends you, just hang on for another week or two.

Hmm thank you i appreciate your help

Titan
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    Regarding the PNG vs JPG thing: It's purely anecdotal of course, but I've experienced instances where signature sized (500x100) PNGs without transparency end up being smaller than sufficiently high-quality JPGs. That's always been with very simplistic cartoon graphics, though it doesn't have to be as low as 8 colors. However if you're saving an image with enough colors - evidently not a very high limit judging from your example Remi - you should roll with a high quality jpg.

A general tip that always works is "use the save for web tool and compare both formats before deciding". That way you'll always end up with the slimmest possible file, and if your editing software has such a slider, be able to tweak the Jpg loss levels to your liking. I'm fairly sure that tool exists in both Paint.Net and GIMP from what I've heard, so you shouldn't need photoshop (what I use) for that.
    JPEG for images with lots of different colours and parts, such as photos (where almost every pixel will be a different colour), PNG for images with clearly defined shapes or transparency (screenshots of software interfaces, icons, etc). That's how I deal with images. If there's even slight variances in colours such as Remilia' example above, JPEG will work out better. If, however, the style of drawing was simple and using flat colours or just a few less, or each specific colour was in a shape, I'm sure the PNG would be under 3KB.

PNG's are more preferable for me as not only do they allow transparency, they're generally more well-rounded. When I need to take filesize into account, compressed JPG's are the only real way. For example, quite some time ago I had a signature I'd made with an old version of VTemp. PNG came out at about 100KB, while an uncompressed JPEG was 150KB. Compressed JPEG though, that came out at around 30KB.

I'd love to use SVG more, but it's just not used widely enough yet and only really useful for basic graphics.
    [...]

Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    Couldn't find any info on this, but I think you needed to hit a minimum amount of posts. Not sure how many it was.
    I know for putting links and sending messages it's 10, so probably the same here as well.

Oh thank you too

It's 10 posts I believe, Sorasan.

S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Trixie for World Domination)
    A (Sensational™)