10+ Year Old Account
    Trying destruction again after a few months flirting with affliction. I hate how since 5.0 the stats seems to chance so quickly. If I use Observer as pet, than I should go with Haste (no breakpoint?) > Mastey > Crit? But if I change the pet or the grimoire I should change stats too? And you guys use Rain of Fire in your single rotation? Because Noxxic says so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabsy View Post
    Question for some of you guys...

I know it's almost never a good idea to use chaos bolt when you have 3 or more stacks of backdraft, but what about when you have so much haste that your incinerates start to have less than 1sec cast time with backdraft? With the VP trinket proc and backdraft, I'm at around 1second (With Heroism I'm at under 1second). Now, that's just with me balancing haste and mastery-- I've seen a few destro locks go full haste, and even go as far as gem pure haste. I imagine that with just normal raid buffs, their incinerates go to under 1second.

So here's my question- I assume that it's not worth using backdraft procs for incinerates at this point if you have so much haste, and you should only use them for chaos bolts. Is this correct?
    It's not just the cast time reduction that makes Backdraft good, but also the mana cost reduction. The less mana you spend on Incinerate, the more you have to work RoF into the mix without hitting points where you can't do anything due to lack of mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any chance you could list the fights which you recommend using which build on?

For example:

Jin'rohk - GoSup - Haste>=Crit>mastery
    etc etc.

It would be very appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenneth View Post
    And you guys use Rain of Fire in your single rotation? Because Noxxic says so.
    From the first post:

Rain of Fire is a small DPS increase to use in the single target rotation, assuming that the target will take every tick of the Rain of Fire, one's not already there, and you have nothing more important to cast than an Incinerate. (An incinerate can be more important to cast if, for example, without casting the incinerate your next Chaos Bolt will consume 3 stacks of Backdraft)
    So, yes, but only if your target stays in it the whole time, otherwise it's a DPS loss.

Is spell damage (procs, buff etc) determined at launch or on impact?

in other words if i cast a Chaos Bolt, do i benefit from whatever procs i have at the start of my cast even if they expire by the time the bolt actually hits the boss?

Quote Originally Posted by miasmah View Post
    Is spell damage (procs, buff etc) determined at launch or on impact?

in other words if i cast a Chaos Bolt, do i benefit from whatever procs i have at the start of my cast even if they expire by the time the bolt actually hits the boss?
    At launch/end of cast.

---------- Post added 2013-03-14 at 10:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Lenneth View Post
    Trying destruction again after a few months flirting with affliction. I hate how since 5.0 the stats seems to chance so quickly. If I use Observer as pet, than I should go with Haste (no breakpoint?) > Mastey > Crit? But if I change the pet or the grimoire I should change stats too? And you guys use Rain of Fire in your single rotation? Because Noxxic says so.
    Haste Rating + Crit Rating >= Mastery Rating

For pure single target the above is pretty much true.

As the number of targets increases, mastery's value increases, and overcomes crit's value at around 4 targets. (ish)

10+ Year Old Account
    i was wondering if somebody could help me decide how to gem and reforge for the most optimal dps without me having to change gems and reforges for every encounter...

currently on simcraft for a single target fight my stat weights are: Int:4.49 crit:2.12 haste:1.78 mastery:1.64

for 2 target they are: int:4.85 crit:1.92 haste:2.46 mastery:1.56

8 target aoe: int:16.61 crit:6.33 haste:10.74 mastery:12.93

i am currently reforged and gemmed for mastery... should i switch my gems to haste to match the 2 target stat weight? then reforge to haste>crit>mastery? or are there many fights where mastery is better than crit or haste?

also, should i buy the shado-pan assault trinket?
    Last edited by Bladeface; 2013-03-15 at 05:50 AM.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    i was wondering if somebody could help me decide how to gem and reforge for the most optimal dps without me having to change gems and reforges for every encounter...

currently on simcraft for a single target fight my stat weights are: Int:4.49 crit:2.12 haste:1.78 mastery:1.64

for 2 target they are: int:4.85 crit:1.92 haste:2.46 mastery:1.56

8 target aoe: int:16.61 crit:6.33 haste:10.74 mastery:12.93

i am currently reforged and gemmed for mastery... should i switch my gems to haste to match the 2 target stat weight? then reforge to haste>crit>mastery? or are there many fights where mastery is better than crit or haste?

also, should i buy the shado-pan assault trinket?
    I am in the same exact boat as you. I am considering geming the normal way (lots of int) which makes playing affliction a no go but seeing as destruction is doing pretty well on all fights that might not be a bad idea.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 06:09 AM ----------

My character link is in my signature btw if you want to see my gear/gems atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericprydz View Post
    I am in the same exact boat as you. I am considering geming the normal way (lots of int) which makes playing affliction a no go but seeing as destruction is doing pretty well on all fights that might not be a bad idea.

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 06:09 AM ----------

My character link is in my signature btw if you want to see my gear/gems atm.
    *looks at your gear* *looks at my gear* ...i wish i could be pretty too ._. lol
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

Trying to decide whether or not breaking my T14 4PC is worth it until I get my T15 4PC? Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Kulu View Post
    Trying to decide whether or not breaking my T14 4PC is worth it until I get my T15 4PC? Thoughts?
    If you are like me and have 509 ilvl tier then you should get the t15 as soon as possible.

So are we RoF'ing single target DPS now or not? I see mixed reviews. What do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by Design1685 View Post
    So are we RoF'ing single target DPS now or not? I see mixed reviews. What do you guys think?
    It's just that. Mixed.

It's a marginal DPS increase on 1 target if the target is in the RoF for it's full duration. 1 tick missed means it's a loss.

I don't really use it on single target fights unless I'm fishing for trinket procs and I'm 100% sure the boss won't move.

Tonight my guild worked on the Hydra.

I am in love with Destro for this fight. The bosses always stay in my RoF and most of the time I can nail two heads at once with it. Plus I can havoc Incin/Conflag to the other head, and if I'm feeling ambitious, Immolate it as well. So many embers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brusalk View Post
    fishing for trinket procs
    This... LotC as destruction is so frustrating. Sometimes my opener is nearly done before I get a LotC proc.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calz View Post
    This... LotC as destruction is so frustrating. Sometimes my opener is nearly done before I get a LotC proc.
    This should not be the case if you are using RoF as part of your starting rotation. It should proc almost immediately.
    “I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: ‘O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.’ And God granted it.” -- Voltaire

"He who awaits much can expect little" -- Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Deleted
    I only use RoF when I want to proc my LotC and maybe when I have 6-7-8 stacks of Wushoolay's Lightning (Electrified). And ofc when there are 2+ mobs.

seeing some results that dont make sense to me on WoL. Some of the highest destro ranks on fights (excluding the obv of horridon and tortos) are locks using sacrifice , some of those locks posting in this thread as well. Seems like the only fight we use gosup being iron qon, and even then one of the highest destro ranks on that fight is a gosac.

and for the guy above wondering the best way to gem/reforge if you dont want to be changing from fight to fight: Int+mastery in yellow sockets. mastery/crit/haste= 1:1:1
    Last edited by weakdots; 2013-03-15 at 01:50 PM.

I went back through my logs from last week and did not find a single fight (including Horridon and Tortos where I ranked 65 and 45 respectively with a 505 ilvl) where using GoSac would have been a dps increase for me. My understanding is that GoSac increases dps by 15% of incinerate, shadowburn, conflag and chaosbolt. It does not increase the FnB version of incinerate or shadowburn. Assuming my understanding is correct I went back through my logs and added the total damage of those 4 spells and multiplied by 15% then compared that to the damage done by my pet. Every single time my pet did more damage and it wasnt even close. Outside of Ji-Kun where pets bug out everytime you fly I think GoSup is simply the better choice but there may be something I am completely misunderstanding here.
    Last edited by Hatelocker; 2013-03-15 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    @Hatelocker: But I guess you were with GoSup reforging (i.e less mastery) so you can't really know how much you would have done with GoSac+Mast.

@Weakdots: I used GoSac a lot on the first week in normal mode. The difference is probably thinner than what Simcraft shows, because in the real encounters we often get more embers, more Shadowburn opportunities, Havoc, better buffs/ember use synchronisation... but overall this is still a loss on most fights to stick with GoSac.