Playing Prot Pala in Arenas, how crazy would it be?

Hello fellow paladins, I am wondering if I could play a prot pala in arenas(gearing as retri though) and get a successful rating. By successful rating Im not after 2.2k, I mean could I help my team to hit only 1.8k-1.9k?

If I would go for that, which pvp items would you suggest and do you have any other suggestions?

Usually not though because they will kill your healer because you have very little pressure. In arena its all about being able to pressure the other teams healer and force them to be go oom or cc them while you kill a them/dps. As a prot pally your damage isn't high enough to do this so if you run with a healer the other healer will never be oom and if you are with another dps you wont be able to kill anything and would have to rely on your partner. Then they just kill your partner and mess with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyreth View Post
    Usually not though because they will kill your healer because you have very little pressure. In arena its all about being able to pressure the other teams healer and force them to be go oom or cc them while you kill a them/dps. As a prot pally your damage isn't high enough to do this so if you run with a healer the other healer will never be oom and if you are with another dps you wont be able to kill anything and would have to rely on your partner. Then they just kill your partner and mess with you.
    ^Basically that. I had a topic on Prot PvP a few pages back but it was mostly about RBGs.
    The only time prot was viable for arena was back in WoTLK when Prot paladins briefly had more utility and better heals than Holy.

I ran into a few prot warriors and blood dks in the 3v3 1500-1600 bracket, but we ended up winning almost every single time. Even with more interrupts/snares/stuns, most tank classes just delayed the inevitable loss. The only match I recall losing was to a blood DK who had a warrior (IIRC) that did absurd amounts of damage. It just caught us off guard and the next time we faced that team, it was a fairly easy win.

Ever since Vengeance taken away in PvP and Wrath (the whole expansion) prot has been inferior to the other specs AFAIK except in low level BGs.

Deleted
    actually, I thought they banned tanks from rated PvP, as in tanks can't even join?

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    actually, I thought they banned tanks from rated PvP, as in tanks can't even join?
    They did that in 5.2 then? Faced some Blood DKs last season for sure.. And there is always tanks in RBGs, wich is also rated PvP. So I assume you mean arena?
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    You can join. All they did, by the end of Cata, was remove Vengeance from PvP, mostly due to Blood DKs who were OP as hell.