pvp resilience vs pvp power

hi

i am using pvp power gems on my gear as a ret pala coz we " suppose " to be a dps class but i see alot of rets using pvp resilience gems they dont use pvp power gem at all so what is the best ????

Deleted
    You can't dmg when you're dead.

Deleted
    Assuming you're hit capped (3%) then go for PvP Resilience > Strength > PvP Power.
    At around 68% PvP resilience you may look to aim to get more strength instead as some people have reported that resilience stops scaling as well.

Vanguard wrote on arenajunkies:

"Resilience is usually considered the second or third most important stat. However, similar to all things in PvP nothing is truly definite. There could be a lot of situations where more damage would be better. Sometimes gemming full Resil could be smart. If a team only targets you, and your damage is neglectable due to how much damage you take, go full Resil! If they don't even hit you, don't gem any resil!"

Imo gemming depends on the comp u run. My choice atm is full pvp power. But I only do weekly caps with a random dps. I definately gonna try resil gemming in next season for 3s and 2s with healer.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Useful View Post

"Resilience is usually considered the second or third most important stat. However, similar to all things in PvP nothing is truly definite. There could be a lot of situations where more damage would be better. Sometimes gemming full Resil could be smart. If a team only targets you, and your damage is neglectable due to how much damage you take, go full Resil! If they don't even hit you, don't gem any resil!"

Imo gemming depends on the comp u run. My choice atm is full pvp power. But I only do weekly caps with a random dps. I definately gonna try resil gemming in next season for 3s and 2s with healer.
    While I won't dispute Vanguards' logic, as he knows what he is talking about for sure, Resilience does scale better than PvP Power. In most cases, you want to have hybrid resil gems such as str/resil, pure resil, and power/resil for their respective colors, OP. This is especially true as Ret, because in most cases you are the train target of choice if the other team has half a brain. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Useful View Post

That quote is quite old. If you look at Vanguard's current armory (http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Cards/advanced) he stacks Resil while making socket bonuses, and has for majority of the season.

Reason being: ret has very few defensive options when getting focused, and they are very strong when it comes to supporting allies through freedom and Selfless Healer, which makes them a very high priority target. With the only defense rets have being their very weak off heals, divine protection every minute for 10 seconds (a rather weak shield wall or spells and even weaker when glyphed for physical damage) and bubble every 5 minutes (which limits your damage output, and is often dispelled quickly upon application anyway). Gemming resilience to reduce all damage you take to a "managable" amount, making it easier for your healer to keep you alive and allowing you stay alive for more than 30 seconds in a match.

As said before as well, Resilience scales much better than pvp power does: resilience becomes better and better at increasing your effective health the more you get, while pvp power is a linear increase on your damage against players. Pvp power is by no means a bad stat, but resilience is more desirable.

I imagine PvP power will make a small comeback, since it will increase healing again in 5.2. But considering they did very little to make Ret less of a train target, I don't think things will change much for Ret. I can see hybrid specs with better defenses going for more PvP power soon thought.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangra View Post
    I imagine PvP power will make a small comeback, since it will increase healing again in 5.2. But considering they did very little to make Ret less of a train target, I don't think things will change much for Ret. I can see hybrid specs with better defenses going for more PvP power soon thought.
    I don't think its enough of a comeback to switch, though, TBH. Just kinda take the 12.5% we get is what I would do.

Ik this thread is a little old, but this video is pretty helpful if you're debating PvP power vs Resil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEY4_R60PkE&sns=em

10+ Year Old Account
    With the latest change, resil now DRs faster. So stacking resil gems wont make that much difference now. Considering the healing buff pvp power might pull ahead.

Would be very nice if someone posted numbers for resil vs power gemming.

We have indeed made a change to the formula for resilience. Currently in patch 5.1 resilience scales exponentially, in patch 5.2 it will scale linearly. What this means is that at higher ratings of resilience you will see little to no change in damage reduction, but at lower ratings it will go up.
    Does it have much importance or not in our choices, I mean I have it hard to know how big the impact is in terms of gemming choices ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going Red = Str, Yellow = Str+Resil, Blue = PVPPower+Resil for now.

Remember PVP Power is a Str multiplicator and 5*2 is less than 4*3. So Str can be important too, just need someone to make the precise math about it. If I remember right is 1 Str to every 3 PVP Power, and there is the Weapon buff on top of that we can't just leave Resil behind.

So we just wait for someone to do the math.
    "I notice my rating actually boosts when I remember to have fun. Playing competitively while also enjoying yourself and focussing on having good games instead of getting rating is way more important.
    After 2.2k the fun devolves into a twisted realm suffering and despair and you will quit pvp from extreme traumatic stress and you will probably xfer to Moon Guard and join some Belf rp guild and become a prostitute in Silvermoon."by Clukclukbewm

Quote Originally Posted by Cronosmash View Post
    I'm going Red = Str, Yellow = Str+Resil, Blue = PVPPower+Resil for now.

Remember PVP Power is a Str multiplicator and 5*2 is less than 4*3. So Str can be important too, just need someone to make the precise math about it. If I remember right is 1 Str to every 3 PVP Power, and there is the Weapon buff on top of that we can't just leave Resil behind.

So we just wait for someone to do the math.
    In 5.1 it was the best way. In 5.2 they changed how resi scales and after like 9k resi it's IMO not worth to invest more, since it no longer scales linearly.

Quote Originally Posted by LukashP View Post
    In 5.1 it was the best way. In 5.2 they changed how resi scales and after like 9k resi it's IMO not worth to invest more, since it no longer scales linearly.
    Correction:resil no longer scales exponentially*

What this means that you will no longer get more bang for your buck when stacking resilience.

With our new healing capabilities pvp power wins for me. Not only does it save my own skin but my partners as well.

Somebody do the maths o.O?

Man , I have the same doubt here !!!!! , and is driving me crazy.
    People in my Guild are saying that Resillence has become less important than PvP power contrary to what happened in 5.1.

So what do you think? Staking PvP Powa? For the Win? OR keep stacking full resillence like we use to do in 5.1?

I mean PvP power is worth to swicht our gems?
    How significantly is going to increased our heals geming for pvp powa? taking into account the recent changes to Flash of Light (+100% effect) and Pasive Healing Buff (+25% pvp power, was 0%).

I am really really considering switch my gems to pvp powa , but i need more Feedback.

If you find that you are constantly low on hp, you should go for resil.

Quote Originally Posted by Vathius View Post
    With our new healing capabilities pvp power wins for me. Not only does it save my own skin but my partners as well.
    Try to heal while you're stunned... you can't. Resilience still wins if you're getting trained - and any team worth their salt trains the Ret.

An example of why you should continue to gem resilience in any high end pvp:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHiS4tTL-KI