Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mineth View Post
    That's because BM is broken OP since cataclysm. Just roll your face across the keyboard for instant 2400.
    What does this have to do with hunters being a great at 1v1 encounters again? Hunters have always excelled at 1v1s, even since classic. Good pet control, refusing to let any melee class near you outside of your own mobility cooldowns, and demolishing any cloth class, hunters are powerhouses in solo encounters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Human Unholy DK,
    sitting in Bloodpresence,
    10700+ resilience,
    super defensiv runic usage to keep 100% conversion uptime,
    spamming DEATH STRIKE,
    with Death's Advance vs kiter and Asphyxiate vs melee.

very hard to counter in 1v1.
    As said before, any hunter smart enough to keep his distance and keep his pet passive outside of cooldowns won't lose. Even if you're being defensive with your runic power, you're not going to generate a lot when you're constantly chasing after a hunter. Death's Advance is a nice cooldown, but you'll just end up getting scattered when you use it, and then possibly eat a freezing trap after that. Any time you grip, you end up eating Narrow Escape's root from disengage (and your 4 piece is nullified by a silencing shot).

Of course any poorly played hunter will lose when he panics and pops every defensive cd h has at the same time, but a good hunter will toy with you.
    Last edited by mmmmmmmBacon; 2013-03-07 at 10:46 AM.

Hunters for sure. You have to look at the number of classes a class can beat 1v1. Hunters take the cake for that.

i would say frost mage, a top frost mage like of venruki's/jahmili's caliber beats everything

Quote Originally Posted by Ange View Post
    Human Unholy DK,
    sitting in Bloodpresence,
    10700+ resilience,
    super defensiv runic usage to keep 100% conversion uptime,
    spamming DEATH STRIKE,
    with Death's Advance vs kiter and Asphyxiate vs melee.

very hard to counter in 1v1.
    Curious, how do you SPAM death strike as unholy when you can't take advantage of blood tap because you are saving all your RP for conversion?

But for the OP, Id say, in order;

1 - BM hunter
    2 - Demo lock
    3 - shadow priest
    4 - rogue (maybe higher with 5.2, haven't seen how they look yet)
    5 - frost mage
    Last edited by Skarssen; 2013-03-07 at 01:24 PM.

Hunters in general. Rogues being able to bail instead of die is also a plus. Healers! especially resto druids lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Skarssen View Post
    Curious, how do you SPAM death strike as unholy when you can't take advantage of blood tap because you are saving all your RP for conversion?
    Icy Touch convert frost runes to death runes.
    Icy Touch convert unholy runes to death runes, if you got DDDDUU. (DDDDUU -> DDDDDD since 5.2)
    Sudden Doom helps a lot to keep the RP high enough.

Hunters can be scary if you are undergeared and/or without enough resilience.
    I can only speak from my own experience with my DK (human, unholy, 10864 resilience, T1 weapon) and the only strong 1v1 classes I see in duells are fire/mages, demo/warlocks and unholy/deathknights.
    -

Hunter is a good duel class.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by stickyjam View Post
    this shadow isn't a good spec to recommend the OP for 1v1 especially in a duel scenario.. if you can get Fear> LOS's off then shadows not a problem. but dueling in elywnn its fear > (trinket/fear breaker) > gap closer.

vs a caster shadow only has a 45second cd silence vs mage/locks 24, combine that with a burst that requires 3 orbs and any dk/rogue/warrior will of locked you down and killed you before you see 3 orbs.
    If you've ever browsed the old shadowpriest.com, there are actually ways to fight these melee classes. First and foremost, rogues and warriors can no longer drop a shadow priest.

Playing shadow vs an anti-caster class requires more skill than the average dueling Shadow Priest has. In particular, the old shadowpriest.com has several recommendations for a shadow priest fighting DKs (in the olden times it was vs brutal Unholy DKs). Open with a silence into a VT>SW:P (stops AMS, Strangulate and Mind Freeze) and a Mind Blast. Since Frost has no ghoul, they have no hard counter to silence (unless they AMS early). The timing of silence and AMS means you pop it right at the DK's AMS comes off. We can Fade the first Chains of Ice and fear the Death Grip (followed by an immediate free cast Mind Blast). On top of that, if you time it right, you can get a Psyfiend off after Lichborne is down and really mess with the DK (or better yet, Void Tendrils, although people usually run with Psyfiend). You're also underestimating the raw healing output of a Shadow Priest (especially while kiting). This is a large reason why Shadow Priest heals got nerfed in 5.2. PoM is some 25K, Renew is 50K, and Divine Star (15s CD) is some 60K all on top of a 70K PWS (this is the amount of healing Shadow Priests can pull off consistently every 15s). All of these spells can be performed while our Shadow Spells are locked. As Shadow Priests, we churn out a ton of healing while we bide our 24 seconds to build up 3 Mind Blast orbs. Mind you, we can also spam SWP initial tick to proc Divine Insight, bringing down the 3 orb timing to 16 seconds. All the while, we have 15% passive damage reduction and when we have 3 orbs, the DK is guaranteed dead with Insanity into 2x SWD and no heals (especially with VE on the DP and MFI).
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-03-07 at 06:22 PM.

Deleted
    Call me crazy but I think warrior.

Deleted
    Enhance shaman GG

in 5.2? not sure, yet. Need to check out monks and rogues more, play them both and many other specs.

In MoP i played a DK and Druid(feral/heal).

All things taken into consideration with arena gears gemmed for resil:

I would say before 5.2 definatley Feral for 1vs1. In especially duels he was really overpowered absolutely no contest.....well, if it weren't for the BM hunter.

So Feral and BM hunter it is(was?).

Why?

They both have stacking Cd burst that kills you instantly. Thats why, its the retardest and highest burst in the game. You think burst of locks, spriests and espcially mages is competetive?
    Either those need to cast or just get silenced or set up their burst. BM hunter and Feral do not need to set up their burst that comes instantly and you can not do much to avoid it, if its well executed - a feral at least, can be feared and stunned, if you get the chance, but he prolly will deny you that chance if he is any good. BM hunter burst is hard to survive didn't see that many game mechanics to be prepared against that one in a duel.

In 5.2 of course rogues, ww monks and unholy dks(they are 10 times more defensive than frost dks, cause of bloodpresence+conversion while still doing about the same dmg, yet not as bursty) are interesting again in duells. Feral and BM hunter still is on top, i believe, as their burst is still too much and easy to use along with good survival. well, while the feral cyclone was nerfed(that isn as relevant in duells 20 sec cd nerf) his bleeds got a buff! even more dmg! I might add, i saw often dying those powerful warrior to feral bleeds, whenever i was on my feral i am looking for dks and warriors to gank.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-03-08 at 04:10 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rogue for 1v1, by far, they never have to lose a real 1v1.

Best Class I'd probably say priest, I think Shadow Priest will be as viable as a rogue in Arena (OP), while being easy to get into RBG groups on, while being pretty powerful in 1v1 itself. And Disc was just buffed and I expect it to do well (largely from playing with rogues.)

---------- Post added 2013-03-08 at 05:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarepublic View Post
    Call me crazy but I think warrior.
    You're crazy. Rogue, Mage, Hunter shouldn't be losing 1v1s to a warrior in 5.2 more then a 3rd of the time.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    Rogue would best the most OP at 1v1. After that is BM hunter. Demo lock is very powerful too.

Mage OP ?! Really ?! Hunters, feral druids and WW monks don't have issues with mages. Even I, an average WW monk, have never been killed by a mage ever since I hit 90, as monks have a lot of things that counter roots and it's nigh impossible to sit in a nova while a mage is spamming /lol at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventolin View Post
    Rogue would best the most OP at 1v1.
    The problem just is Feral for the rogue. I mean he is the hard conter. Even in 4.3 i saw the best rogue on a big pvp server losing several times to a feral dueling in front of SW. You cannot possible have as many resets against a feral than against some other classes, and this is the problem. Since it happened to legendary dagger rogues with about/over 2,6k rating, i doubt 5.2 will fix it. But if it does, rogue just wrote history.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am going to pull out a wild card and say mistweaver, we can do a good amount of damage while able to survive damage. On the ptr I was able to go 1v1 many times and won. They were not really expecting it:}.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Hunter being the only hard counter to mages (if the mage sucks) and everyone complains about hunter, what fail logic by this horribly demented community

Mages have been OP for 8 years, and are still top 3 pve and pvp classes

Deleted
    I'm starting to get really sick of all this shadowpriest hate thats flying around here.

What people have to realise is that,1. Shadow is nerfed alot now and 2. Shadow was only OP when paired up with a mage or some other heavy-ccer, this being in 3s.

For me to win duels, i have to burst people down in the start. I secretly start with 3 orbs and sometimes even use potions. I win easy against people who don't know how shadowfiend works and thinks its just for mana, upon which i tell them to check their logs on how hard it hits.

Why is the heavy-ccer so important for shadow? Well this is discussable but it could have something to do with shadow being very stationary, and that they cant kite. Melee fear is not easy to get off against a competent ranged player unless lined up with some other cc. Shadow is also built on alot of utility and needs to have freetime to fully utilize its capabilities.

When you can't CC, you become a target dummy, susceptible for interrupts and stuns. This is why classes with CC immunitys are the hardest counterclasses to shadow. Warriors can zerker rage your fear, trinket your disarm and safeguard your roots. If you use a psyfiend he can stun/cc it, outrange it etc. If he turtles my initial burst i have no chance, because the longer the fight goes on, the less the chance the priest have of winning. Second wind negates your dots and without CCs you cant get no casts off, because of stuns and interrupts.

Hunters can successfully kite your meleefear, outrange the fiend and trinket your disarm. Should you get your CCs off, he can always bestial wrath it, and reset and do it again. So a hunter unCCd, well maybe you could win the burst race? Nope, because he can still CC you, drop target and double deterrance/exhili and stampede heals.

Same could be done with a mage. By being very offensive at start, trinketing fear, iceblock silences and CCing you hard offensively you could win too. Its not as easy for mage though, because if i get off a second fear he cant stop me from healing to full, but he defo isnt chanceless.

To my conclusion i want to point out that besides burst damage in duels, priest is no threat to many classes if you know how to counter the priest, so its not a strong duel class.

On-Topic: My vote goes to Hunter, Mage and Rogue. Reasoning is that these three classes have some very strong cooldowns. With having another row of cooldowns due to cooldownreset, it gets very overpowered when in a 1v1 situation. They can also escape easily, wish is of value to me in w-pvp situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Oopsmezedya View Post
    Hunter being the only hard counter to mages (if the mage sucks) and everyone complains about hunter, what fail logic by this horribly demented community

Mages have been OP for 8 years, and are still top 3 pve and pvp classes
    Sorry son, hunters are definitely the best 1v1 dueling class. They own all melee and mages.

I'd say whoever gets the opener should in most cases have a clear advantage in a 1v1 scenario.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Oopsmezedya View Post
    *cough*bullshit*cough*

Hunter counters all melee, to begin with. They have more cc and escapes than frost mages in wotlk, and that says a lot. The only reason they don't get nerfed is because their damage in arena is pretty piss and GC doesn't care about balancing pvp outside of 3v3.

Only classes that stand a chance against a hunter with more than 2 neurons are shadow priests and locks (especially demo spec).