Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Trove of the Thunder King

    So I tried to farm those but ended up with nothing after looting 1 chest. I tried to switch chars and wat do you think, I literally find a chest on the 1st spawn point I approach and then - nothing again. Is it rly 1 chest per char per X (day or even week?) or maybe I'm missing smth?

  2. #2
    I believe it's just luck based.

  3. #3
    There's a theory on wowhead that you can only loot one per week per char.

    As when I found mine (Also the first spot I checked), there were several people nearby, none looting it.

  4. #4
    One drop from a mob per week. However, you can get one in the satchel from the final daily quest too.

  5. #5
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameday View Post
    I believe it's just luck based.
    I don't think so.
    I just tried it myself with several different chars on two seperate accounts - atfer I've looted a chest with a char, I definitely wasn't able to see any more chests with that char.
    I'm certain that it wasn't just bad luck. I've stood with two toons at the same time at a spawn point and tabbed between two windows so I know that there was a trove there; still it was invisible for the char that already have looted one.
    Joining a party didn't help either.

    Edit: Note that both screenshots were taken at the exact same time.
    http://i.imgur.com/a1OaeYD.png
    http://i.imgur.com/mE3mQoS.png
    Last edited by Nivis; 2013-03-07 at 08:18 PM.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I don't think so.
    I just tried it myself with several different chars on two seperate accounts - atfer I've looted a chest with a char, I definitely wasn't able to see any more chests with that char.
    I'm certain that it wasn't just bad luck. I've stood with two toons at the same time at a spawn point and tabbed between two windows so I know that there was a trove there; still it was invisible for the char that already have looted one.
    Joining a party didn't help either.

    Edit: Note that both screenshots were taken at the exact same time.
    http://i.imgur.com/a1OaeYD.png
    http://i.imgur.com/mE3mQoS.png
    I think that's pretty good proof right there that there is some limitation going on. Whether it's one each day or week would be nice to know.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by glamdr1ng View Post
    I think that's pretty good proof right there that there is some limitation going on. Whether it's one each day or week would be nice to know.
    My priest looted the chest yesterday, so it seems like you can't loot one every day.

  8. #8
    Moderator Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I don't think so.
    I just tried it myself with several different chars on two seperate accounts - atfer I've looted a chest with a char, I definitely wasn't able to see any more chests with that char.
    I'm certain that it wasn't just bad luck. I've stood with two toons at the same time at a spawn point and tabbed between two windows so I know that there was a trove there; still it was invisible for the char that already have looted one.
    Joining a party didn't help either.

    Edit: Note that both screenshots were taken at the exact same time.
    http://i.imgur.com/a1OaeYD.png
    http://i.imgur.com/mE3mQoS.png
    I'm glad someone tested this. I too haven't seen any chests after the first that I looted - and the first chest was in an area right next to a quest mob, I have a hard time believing I'm just that lucky to be the first person to see that chest.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

  9. #9
    This kind of reminds me of GW2s watered down item gating.. diminishing returns.. it probably makes sense logistically, but.... I'm kinda mad that I spent a lot of time exploring for them for zero reason. Kinda like... find one tuesday morning.. immediately kills any point to explore for the next 6 days. Hell, make the stones a 5% drop chance, but this gating is crap... my gut feeling tells me its some sort of test to see how the community reacts to these weekly lockouts on everything you do.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorsyn View Post
    This kind of reminds me of GW2s watered down item gating.. diminishing returns.. it probably makes sense logistically, but.... I'm kinda mad that I spent a lot of time exploring for them for zero reason. Kinda like... find one tuesday morning.. immediately kills any point to explore for the next 6 days. Hell, make the stones a 5% drop chance, but this gating is crap... my gut feeling tells me its some sort of test to see how the community reacts to these weekly lockouts on everything you do.
    I think it's OK as long as the reward fits. Like the scenario is theoretically once a week (supposedly there's a rare way to get another key), but it feels OK because it's really rewarding.

  11. #11
    Brewmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Netherlands, Heerle
    Posts
    1,336
    Looted 3 chests today on my paladin
    Valkyrìe on Azjol-Nerub is Recruiting! PM me for info!
    or check http://valkyrieeu.guildlaunch.com/index.php?gid=104637


  12. #12
    All of this drop limiting on the isle bugs me a bit. I was really looking forward to having the option of some good old fashioned grinding/treasure hunting (not to mention, the chance of key drops from mobs and rares makes them that much more compelling to kill even if you don't need anything from them), but now I feel like it's going to become one of those "better make sure you do this every week" tasks.

    It turns farming keys and chests into part of the regular WoW routine, rather than letting you go on a magical treasure hunting adventure.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    All of this drop limiting on the isle bugs me a bit. I was really looking forward to having the option of some good old fashioned grinding/treasure hunting (not to mention, the chance of key drops from mobs and rares makes them that much more compelling to kill even if you don't need anything from them), but now I feel like it's going to become one of those "better make sure you do this every week" tasks.

    It turns farming keys and chests into part of the regular WoW routine, rather than letting you go on a magical treasure hunting adventure.
    If you want a grind, head to the Isle of Giants. Only 9,999 bones until you can get a shiny mount. Then a further 999 for the pet.

  14. #14
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,704
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I'm glad someone tested this. I too haven't seen any chests after the first that I looted - and the first chest was in an area right next to a quest mob, I have a hard time believing I'm just that lucky to be the first person to see that chest.
    Same here. I found the first chest right next to a quest mob with three players nearby.
    Also, the respawn rate of the chests seem to be really high - while sitting there at the spot posted above, I've noticed that the trove reappeared only ~20 mins after I looted it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Looted 3 chests today on my paladin
    I really don't get it.
    Someone on my server told me that he has looted more than one, too - but considering that I camped two spots with 6 different chars, logging around between them for a while just to check which one could see it, this definitely was no coincidence.
    Last edited by Nivis; 2013-03-08 at 04:40 AM.

  15. #15
    Bloodsail Admiral Saegno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas City, Ks
    Posts
    1,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    Looted 3 chests today on my paladin
    I question the validity of this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

  16. #16
    Was in a group when someone else looted one, did get the achievment and didn't see another chest since then. Funnily my rogue immediatly found one when I went to the Thunder Kings isle. I'll be testing for my Shaman whether or not someone else looting it blocked it out as soon as I find another one on my third character. I'd be furious to say the least.

  17. #17
    Scarab Lord Nivis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    4,704
    Yesterday I opened a ticket and now just talked to a GM about it.
    Bottom line: One char definitely can loot only one chest per week - and can't even see any additional ones.

    So I now highly doubt Téuntjûh's statement, too.
    Last edited by Nivis; 2013-03-08 at 03:59 PM.

  18. #18
    Bloodsail Admiral
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,120
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    Yesterday I opened a ticket and now just talked to a GM about it.
    Bottom line: One char definitely can loot only one chest per week - and can't even see any additional ones.

    So I now highly doubt Téuntjûh's statement, too.
    Empirical evidence would support this. On my hunter I found one just after servers came up on Tuesday. Spent 3 hours searching on Thursday to no avail. While grouped for an Elite - a group member got the achievement right beside me - on a chest I couldn't even see,

  19. #19
    I looted two chests within five minutes of each other in the troll area of the Isle of Thunder.

    However, this was mere hours after the patch went live in the US on Tuesday. They could have silently hotfixed it afterwards so that only one chest a week applies, as I haven't found any other troves since.

  20. #20
    Moderator Fhi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Carnished Toast
    Posts
    3,078
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    So I now highly doubt Téuntjûh's statement, too.
    I would caution against readily believing any statement that are not backed by anything. It's easy, and people do it all the time, to just jump in and claim something to the contrary. I don't know why people do that, but any standalone statement said on a forum should be taken with a grain of salt.

    Paladin and D3 Moderator | MMO-C Guidelines | Signature and avatar art by Dancing Hare

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •