Deleted

Sennheiser PC360s

So as the title suggests, I'm planning on getting a decent headset/pair of headphones for my birthday in a few months time. I've been looking at the 360s and I was wondering if anyone has any experience with them?

I've also looked down the headphone + clip on mic route but I'm not really sure which pair of headphones I'd go for, so if you have any suggestions that would be nice. A rough budget would probably be between £150-200, with 200 being pretty much the maximum I'd pay, give or take a few pounds.

So yeah, opinions on the 360s/suggestions would be much appreciated.

I have the PC350's and they're basically the same except for mine are closed and not open can like the PC360's I believe? (note I'm talking about the original PC350/360, I guess new ones with virtual surround sound and other improvements just got announced) http://www.techpowerup.com/178480/Se...-Headsets.html

For the PC350 I've found it's quite good as long as you have a sound card/speakers with a built in headphone amp or like a FiiO E6 portable amp. However, with out them being amped they may sound too weak to your ears.
    Last edited by KayossZero; 2013-03-09 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Typo

I have the PC360 and they are much better than the PC350 if you don't mind the openness of them.
    They are also far easier to drive, so they don't really need much of amplification either.

But truth be told, you will get more for your money with headphone + clip, but if you are allergic to such ghetto-ifications, if you will, the PC360 are one of, if not the best option there is.

HD598 + clip-on, Takstar Hi 2050 + clip-on, Creative Aurvana Live! if you want a pair of closed with clip-on.

Deleted
    Eh for some reason I managed to delete my earlier post. Anyway I think I'm swaying towards the 360 as I'm too lazy to mess about with a headphone/mic setup. The sound quality also seems to be easily good enough for my needs. Next topic, sound card. Been looking at the Asus/creative cards but not sure which one to choose, preferably somewhere between £50-100 would be ideal, any suggestions?

If you have to use a headphone with out a mic I recommend modmic http://www.modmic.com/ modmic's setup is pretty slick and works well.

Can't speak much about the newer Creative cards (the old ones sucked for anything not directional foot-sounds imho), but the ASUS Xonar DX is more than good enough to let the PC360 stretch it legs. I recommend a kind of soft V-shaped EQ in the Xonar-driver interface for sound to go with them, to give the Bass some impressive oomph and tone down the mids somewhat.

I'd try without sound card first and see if they feel adequate.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Can't speak much about the newer Creative cards (the old ones sucked for anything not directional foot-sounds imho), but the ASUS Xonar DX is more than good enough to let the PC360 stretch it legs. I recommend a kind of soft V-shaped EQ in the Xonar-driver interface for sound to go with them, to give the Bass some impressive oomph and tone down the mids somewhat.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I could always try it without the sound card and see how it sounds, it just feels weird to be spending quite a bit of money on headphones and then run them off my onboard sound?

Deleted
    Might be worth taking a look at the new and improved Sennheiser PC350SE Special Edition £130, that would leave enough room for a sound card as well with your budget ASUS Xonar DX £60

There is also an updated Sennheiser PC363D (360 upgraded) but they're £205 unless you can find them cheaper somewhere.

Both the newer versions and changes are mentioned in this video from CES

I've used a PC350 for several years now, they're a very solid headset.

Deleted
    yep i've been using the HD250 series for ages now combined with the pc153 and i'm very happy with both of em ^^

Deleted
    Yeah I looked at linus' stuff on the 363D but for what you get the price difference just doesn't seem worth it. The actual headset itself is being bought by my gf so the extra money on the sound card isn't a problem as I'll be paying that myself. Atm I'm going with the PC360s and maybe the Xonar DX, although that is far from finalised. I'll take a look at the PC350SE too now you've mentioned it.

EDIT: PC 350SE are closed though, which is a downside. Much more of an open design fan myself.
    Last edited by mmoc8b01500a1c; 2013-03-09 at 09:21 PM.

Deleted
    Yeah closed isn't for everyone, I prefer no sound leaking and having to worry about how loud m sound is. I do like the open design though, especially when talking with people on Skype, Mumble etc.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Yeah closed isn't for everyone, I prefer no sound leaking and having to worry about how loud m sound is.
    I would agree with you for headphones that I'd plan to listen to outside of my room, however I'm not planning on taking the headset away from my computer. Considering I'm the only one in my room 90% of the time, I quite like the open design when gaming/listening to music inside etc. My head tends to get too hot with closed headphones too.

But anyway, if I can someone persuade my girlfriend to fork out the £206 for the 363D then all is good, if not I'll stick to the 360s I think I'll wait till after I get the headset to buy a soundcard and actually test what the sound is like from my onboard. (No doubt I'll end up buying one anyway but you never know)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post

I am enjoying my new creative sound card, none of the asus cards never worked for me. I love that I can listen to music on my speakers and still talk in my mic with them not even being able to hear my music.:}.

You can grab headphones first, but just make sure you have enough power for your board to handle it, do not get ones that have a high Ohms.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose