Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    I adjusted the first post for more accurate info.
    Still think an Aussie is your best bet. Mine likes to follow me around when I'm out front doing gardening. She never strays far.

Whatever you do and whatever breed you decide upon, ADOPT! You will never find yourself a more grateful, loyal companion than an adopted dog. There are a million reasons they end up in shelters and you can even find so-called purebred dogs. "Purebreds" have many breed specific ailments like the German Shepard and hip dysplasia while "mutts" or mixed breeds tend to have fewer problems. Papers are worthless, the AKC will certify anything that they get paid enough to certify.

ADOPT your dog whatever you decide upon!!!!!
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    Whatever you do and whatever breed you decide upon, ADOPT! You will never find yourself a more grateful, loyal companion than an adopted dog. There are a million reasons they end up in shelters and you can even find so-called purebred dogs. "Purebreds" have many breed specific ailments like the German Shepard and hip dysplasia while "mutts" or mixed breeds tend to have fewer problems. Papers are worthless, the AKC will certify anything that they get paid enough to certify.

Or you could end up getting one with serious problems. I support adoption, I've had multiple dogs from Rescues and Shelters but it's not the best choice for everyone, every time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post

Got a cat a few years ago from a shelter. Made my dog sick and the cat died a week later. Never again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Still think an Aussie is your best bet. Mine likes to follow me around when I'm out front doing gardening. She never strays far.
    our poodle never strayed far either.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

my dog. got from a shelter. mix between german shepherd and rottweiler (and maybe other sutff idk)

one of the prettiest mix dog ive seen

http://i.imgur.com/FFcjyhB.jpg?1
    Last edited by phenix; 2013-03-08 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    It's also very important that the dog can go loose!! I like to give my dog a free life so he can go wherever he wants to be. BUT the dog needs to come back when called.
    Unless you are getting a well trained adult do not expect this on any dog. Recall, especially reliable recall comes with consistent and dedicated training, you are responsible for the dogs behaviour and if you do not place proper time and effort in training reliable recall with and without distractions then do not complain if the dog doesn't come back. A dog doesn't know it has to come back everytime when called unless you train it, if you do not want to spend a year teaching a bomb proof recall I would suggest you keep the dog leashed. It is people with unleashed dogs with no proper recall training which endanger other people and their dogs as they have no manners and no control.

You need to be able to recall a dog in every situation, be it a squirrel, a dog attack, sudden noises and away from any dog you see while walking, it doesn't matter if your dog is friendly, it is rude and inconsiderate if you allow your dog to freely approach a stranger and leashed dogs, leashed dogs are vulnerable and do not take happily to a rude dog in their face, attacks are often created because of some Morons apparently friendly off leash dog.

A regular Black Lab is an amazing dog and fits your description perfectly. Its not large per se, but compared to other dogs it is. Its rather medium sized. They can easily be trained, and are very loyal. They are insanely playful too if you're up for play. They can easily survive living outside as long as food and fresh water is supplied (a warm cozy place is needed aswell, but it could just be a haystack with a bunch of cats to cuddle with and it'll do fine down to like -5 or so.)
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Don't buy a dog get one from shelter.
    Agreed, please. Save one of millions that need a home. As a plus, one you adopt may already be trained.

I would go for a lab, two of the guys I work with have labs and I always spend hours playing with them when we're on call together. They're very smart.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaidu View Post
    Unless you are getting a well trained adult do not expect this on any dog. Recall, especially reliable recall comes with consistent and dedicated training, you are responsible for the dogs behaviour and if you do not place proper time and effort in training reliable recall with and without distractions then do not complain if the dog doesn't come back. A dog doesn't know it has to come back everytime when called unless you train it, if you do not want to spend a year teaching a bomb proof recall I would suggest you keep the dog leashed. It is people with unleashed dogs with no proper recall training which endanger other people and their dogs as they have no manners and no control.

You need to be able to recall a dog in every situation, be it a squirrel, a dog attack, sudden noises and away from any dog you see while walking, it doesn't matter if your dog is friendly, it is rude and inconsiderate if you allow your dog to freely approach a stranger and leashed dogs, leashed dogs are vulnerable and do not take happily to a rude dog in their face, attacks are often created because of some Morons apparently friendly off leash dog.
    Wrong! My dog (belgian shepherd) which died a month ago never received any training. He always returns when called unless he is chasing a rabbit. He can go loose in the city and staying near me all the time. And he doesn't give a damn about other dogs, only about their toys which he steals and never gives back He is the most kind dog ever. If he catches a rabbit he always brings them to me alive and well.

I miss him so much Most perfect dog ever
    Last edited by mmoc9f2c949fa4; 2013-03-09 at 10:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    SIBERIAN HUSKY. No really, get one of these dogs if you do not want to get a german shepherd. I HIGHLY recommend getting a GS, because they are amazing, talented, and very VERY loyal dogs. If you train them, they will always listen to you. I would definitely get a german shepherd, but if you have doubts... get a Siberian Husky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nillah View Post
    Agreed, please. Save one of millions that need a home. As a plus, one you adopt may already be trained.

I would go for a lab, two of the guys I work with have labs and I always spend hours playing with them when we're on call together. They're very smart.
    A trained puppy? I doubt it

And that dog was an exception, do not place the same expectation on a new dog, no dog is the same. You are only setting the new puppy up to fail with that mindset.
    Last edited by Khaidu; 2013-03-10 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive always had Golden Retrievers and Labrador Retrievers. Great dogs that love to play and are also very smart/easy to train.

And of course adopting a dog from a shelter is great, but saying dont buy a dog is stupid. Those dogs also need a home to go to.