Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish if could be some mods for more buildings and units, because AoE2 HD got a huge options for making nice roleplay maps etc. I would love see more feudal age buildings etc, or even alpha / beta buildings from classic version.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Fair, just never understood why people like multiplayer inn RTS. Its less fun to watch and play for me. Thats why I tend to skip most uploads from say Zeroempires thats not 1v1.

Im just to BIAS, so I ofcourse dont respresent the majority. I have clocked well over 1k games inn AOE2 1v1, with around 40% being VS computer (with useally 1-3 oppenents inn the paste on HD), rest online, and by now I could never bother play anything but 1v1 ^^
    1v1 is too stressful for me. In 1v1, the outcome is singular: either you win and so your opponent is unhappy, or you lose and you are unhappy. In 4v4, regardless of the outcome, due to the sheer size of the game and number of people involved, rarely anyone feels completely demolished, mostly the games are very unpredictable and fun. Even if I lose such a game, I don't feel bad about it.

Unfortunately, it is completely unplayable for me. I thought it was just me, but then I looked through a few Youtube let's play's - and, it seems, everyone has this problem. People just learned to tolerate it, but for me 5+ seconds latency is completely unacceptable. Any kind of micro is practically impossible, and, since I usually try to rely on my skill and not on a sheer size of my forces (I know some people like just massing Paladins, for example, and attack-moving with them), this makes my performance too low.

I guess I will wait until they switch from a very outdated P2P connection to a modern server connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    1v1 is too stressful for me. In 1v1, the outcome is singular: either you win and so your opponent is unhappy, or you lose and you are unhappy. In 4v4, regardless of the outcome, due to the sheer size of the game and number of people involved, rarely anyone feels completely demolished, mostly the games are very unpredictable and fun. Even if I lose such a game, I don't feel bad about it.

Unfortunately, it is completely unplayable for me. I thought it was just me, but then I looked through a few Youtube let's play's - and, it seems, everyone has this problem. People just learned to tolerate it, but for me 5+ seconds latency is completely unacceptable. Any kind of micro is practically impossible, and, since I usually try to rely on my skill and not on a sheer size of my forces (I know some people like just massing Paladins, for example, and attack-moving with them), this makes my performance too low.

I guess I will wait until they switch from a very outdated P2P connection to a modern server connection.
    Don't know what you are talking about, I've been playing this casually with friends since it launched and haven't ran into any real issues with latency regardless of force/map size or players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by acphydro View Post
    Don't know what you are talking about, I've been playing this casually with friends since it launched and haven't ran into any real issues with latency regardless of force/map size or players.
    The game utilizes P2P connection, that is connection directly between players. If you play with your friends, chances are you all are close to each other, so the latency won't be high. If you play with 7 random people, chances are there will be, at least, a few pairs living far from each other (you can see lots of messages like "Warning: players X and Y have moderate latency" in the lobby), plus someone is bound to have a bad connection in the first place. It all adds up, since the principle of P2P connection is getting responses from everyone to your actions. I found, for example, that random 3v3 plays better than 4v4 most of the time, although still quite bad.

In comparison, Starcraft 2 uses a centralized system, where every player connects to the central server. As such, individual latencies don't add up, and the performance of a player's connection depends only on his connection with the server, not on other people's connection. So there can be 7 players with extreme lag due to terrible connection and large distance from the server, but, as long as you have a good connection with the servers, it won't hurt your performance in any way.
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.

May90, cause you actually explained yourself nicely, to my rather BIAS comments...try these:

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7fJ5SOvAug See this

2. Install a crack aoe2 and play via voobly, maybe better on voobly (Voobly is where all the propor players play on, HD version is much less skilled player-base, eg if you are 1800 rated on HD its about 1500 on voobly or so)

3. When using AOE2 HD put inn title "Only EU players" and only acept ppl under 100 MS.

Thats all I can help with.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks, I will give 1 and 3 a shot (although I better use "Only US players" title ). As for voobly, I used to play on it or some other third party server system, and it was fine. I know that players there are much more serious, and I haven't had any lag there whatsoever. How large is the community there nowadays? How long would it take to get a 4v4 game up, for example?

Thanks, I will give 1 and 3 a shot (although I better use "Only US players" title ). As for voobly, I used to play on it or some other third party server system, and it was fine. I know that players there are much more serious, and I haven't had any lag there whatsoever. How large is the community there nowadays? How long would it take to get a 4v4 game up, for example?
    Its very fine. I played there around ½ year ago, and it was not a problem. I find AOE2 HD dead some times. I only create games trough, I never join other people, cause I play with some wierd noob settings ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Its very fine. I played there around ½ year ago, and it was not a problem. I find AOE2 HD dead some times. I only create games trough, I never join other people, cause I play with some wierd noob settings ;P
    Yes, I also don't find many lobbies there. At most, I can see 5-6 lobbies in the peak time, at worst - no games at all. I guess everyone just plays 1v1 ladder with games filled any disappearing from the lobby immediately.

I might play against the AI though, since it doesn't seem to cause any lag. AI in this game is not the brightest, but I think some uber-challenges like 1 vs 4 hardest AI might be interesting. Or campaigns - I've always wanted to beat that last Saladin mission on Hard without cheesing with building the Wonder on the island...

Yes, I also don't find many lobbies there. At most, I can see 5-6 lobbies in the peak time, at worst - no games at all. I guess everyone just plays 1v1 ladder with games filled any disappearing from the lobby immediately.

I might play against the AI though, since it doesn't seem to cause any lag. AI in this game is not the brightest, but I think some uber-challenges like 1 vs 4 hardest AI might be interesting. Or campaigns - I've always wanted to beat that last Saladin mission on Hard without cheesing with building the Wonder on the island...
    Actually 1v1 AI on AOE2 HD has gotten better. They added a new AI, thats actually pretty hard. It still suck ball's on some maps, like a guy new to the game 100% could beat it on hardest maybe, but on other maps its often quit good. They tend to do a good castle rush at 30-35 mins, and a feudal rush at 15-20 or so. There castle time is way slow trough.

I am intrigued.

10+ Year Old Account
    After all these years I'm still bad at AoE but I'm quite excited for this anyway.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

I am intrigued.
    God, I really hope they finally change that abomination of P2P network system to something with centralized servers. Lag in anything higher than 2v2 on a small map is unbearable right now.

That said, I would play it even just for campaigns. Age of Empires 2 is my second favorite RTS ever, after Starcraft 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post

I am intrigued.
    Okay... I want this expansion so badly!