1. #1

    Has anyone ever actually won in solo que?

    Sounds like a stupid question but I'm starting to wonder if I've actually won a game in solo que. We all have games where we feel like we won the game for our team....but did we?

    From what I'm seeing LoL actually has very little to do with making winning plays, but instead rests on grinding it out and not throwing the game because the moment things start to go wrong on a team people explode and then give up the ghost completely, either AFKing or spending so much time being a keyboard hero whilst defending their honour or verbally attacking a team mate.

    By which point it doesn't matter if your 30/0/X because the games over, the other team already succumbed to infighting and stopped playing properly 15 mins ago, it's not that you won but instead they lost.

    Anyone else feeling the same? Bear in mind this about solo que, obviously 5v5 is another beast entirely and those guys can get the props they deserve for being imba......but for me in the solo que I'm starting to feel like the game has very little to do with me beyond the obvious.

  2. #2
    What? You beat them, how did you get 30/0/X? By outplaying them with your team and killing them. Because you end up dominating them they quit.

  3. #3
    I disagree. I've seen many games snowball because someone made an excellent play early game. In fact I've done this myself before (flash twisted advances are sooooo sexy)
    WoW PvP; Where DPS are healers, tanks are DPS, and healers are tanks!

    RETH RETH RETH!

  4. #4
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Nomad
    Posts
    56
    Maybe not what youre looking for:
    but lately ive started playing zilean support in solo q. and when i go 2/2/21 preventing 5-10 deaths and making my adc run around like a sprinter. i feel like i won that for my team
    i5-3570k 4.3Ghz P8Z77-V Pro (2x4) G.Skill RAM 1600
    ASUS GTX 670 Crucial M4 128Gb

  5. #5
    Dreadlord Rakeer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The realm of Torment
    Posts
    892
    yes, my first (and only) ranked game. I played as support. We won.

  6. #6
    I recently started playing ranked to see where I deserved to be (silver 4) and one of the games, we were outscored pretty badly in the laning phase, like maybe 10 kills. The Garen up top was saying it was over since they were out farming us minion wise too, but we all fought on and something clicked in the team phase. We just dominated them again and again. It was probably due to composition; I think we had Sona aoeing stunning and they didn't stick together as well as they should have. We completely turned the game around.

    I think people just tend to think oh no, we are down kills, let's surrender. That's just completely the wrong way to win. Yeah, you'll probably lose if you are down, but you do turn them around.

    I was on a premade team doing the blind queue for practice, and the enemy team was Alistar, Ad Thresh (both double top), Anivia, Corki and Mundo support. Our team was Riven (myself), Trynamere Jungle, Morganna, Sona, and Caitlyn. We completely got rocked by the two at top early on. They just rolled with their minions and destroyed my tower pretty easy and my jungler wasn't able to stop them. Corki and Mundo lost less dramatically to our carry, but it was still pretty bad. We were down something like 15 kills at one point and they were even taunting us pretty badly, but when the team phase turned around, we forced Corki to die or retreat and then focused Thresh. The other three couldn't do any damage compared to our composition.

    The point I am wandering around is, you really just have to keep fighting regardless of the situation. You get more ip and there's a portion of the games that will turn around. As long as you have good spirits yourself, there's one less player on your team that will afk or disconnect or troll your team. If someone flames me, I try to say I am still learning and ask for advice and usually try to disarm the situation. Be the puppet master, and make the others do what you want. I wish I could hotkey, "Wow, that team fight went well. We should stick together and repeat it." The best tip out there is how to herd a bad player. Flaming them will just make them unhappy and make it harder. If you flatter them, even if it is true, then you can coax them into helping you win.

  7. #7
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanyuu View Post
    I recently started playing ranked to see where I deserved to be (silver 4) and one of the games, we were outscored pretty badly in the laning phase, like maybe 10 kills. The Garen up top was saying it was over since they were out farming us minion wise too, but we all fought on and something clicked in the team phase. We just dominated them again and again. It was probably due to composition; I think we had Sona aoeing stunning and they didn't stick together as well as they should have. We completely turned the game around.

    I think people just tend to think oh no, we are down kills, let's surrender. That's just completely the wrong way to win. Yeah, you'll probably lose if you are down, but you do turn them around.

    I was on a premade team doing the blind queue for practice, and the enemy team was Alistar, Ad Thresh (both double top), Anivia, Corki and Mundo support. Our team was Riven (myself), Trynamere Jungle, Morganna, Sona, and Caitlyn. We completely got rocked by the two at top early on. They just rolled with their minions and destroyed my tower pretty easy and my jungler wasn't able to stop them. Corki and Mundo lost less dramatically to our carry, but it was still pretty bad. We were down something like 15 kills at one point and they were even taunting us pretty badly, but when the team phase turned around, we forced Corki to die or retreat and then focused Thresh. The other three couldn't do any damage compared to our composition.

    The point I am wandering around is, you really just have to keep fighting regardless of the situation. You get more ip and there's a portion of the games that will turn around. As long as you have good spirits yourself, there's one less player on your team that will afk or disconnect or troll your team. If someone flames me, I try to say I am still learning and ask for advice and usually try to disarm the situation. Be the puppet master, and make the others do what you want. I wish I could hotkey, "Wow, that team fight went well. We should stick together and repeat it." The best tip out there is how to herd a bad player. Flaming them will just make them unhappy and make it harder. If you flatter them, even if it is true, then you can coax them into helping you win.
    What you just said is completely true. I've had games where the enemy dominates the laning but is just god awful at that teamfighting stage of the game vice versa. I sort of cry inside when someone says the phrase "surrender at 20" because even if we have inhibitor down and I never quit, there is always that chance.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    What you just said is completely true. I've had games where the enemy dominates the laning but is just god awful at that teamfighting stage of the game vice versa. I sort of cry inside when someone says the phrase "surrender at 20" because even if we have inhibitor down and I never quit, there is always that chance.
    Yeah, I am that guy that never wants to give up on any team. If they are going to win, make them. We get more IP out of it regardless.

    Plus sometimes, you'll have a crazy good team. I forget who we were playing, but my team was Wukong top, Amu jungle, Karthus mid, Ezreal and myself as Sona. We were down about 8 kills going into the team phase and then they just lost...in like three team fights. Amu jumps in, ults, then Wukong after that, then I'd launch Sona's ult and the entire time Karthus and Ez wiped out the enemy team with aoe damage. It was a super mean team comp, that just had to survive the opening phase of the game. I am sure there are better ones out there, but it rocked for the team phase.

    That's why I am a stubborn survivor. I was so thrilled when I won that ranked game for my placement out of the jaws of defeat.

  9. #9
    Legendary! Falco Lombardi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Lylat Star System
    Posts
    6,595
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanyuu View Post
    Yeah, I am that guy that never wants to give up on any team. If they are going to win, make them. We get more IP out of it regardless.

    Plus sometimes, you'll have a crazy good team. I forget who we were playing, but my team was Wukong top, Amu jungle, Karthus mid, Ezreal and myself as Sona. We were down about 8 kills going into the team phase and then they just lost...in like three team fights. Amu jumps in, ults, then Wukong after that, then I'd launch Sona's ult and the entire time Karthus and Ez wiped out the enemy team with aoe damage. It was a super mean team comp, that just had to survive the opening phase of the game. I am sure there are better ones out there, but it rocked for the team phase.

    That's why I am a stubborn survivor. I was so thrilled when I won that ranked game for my placement out of the jaws of defeat.
    Whenever I see a Kennen, Amumu (rare), or any AOE CC champion on our team, I know team fights can be trivial.
    I'll take the sky any day.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Sounds like a stupid question but I'm starting to wonder if I've actually won a game in solo que. We all have games where we feel like we won the game for our team....but did we?

    From what I'm seeing LoL actually has very little to do with making winning plays, but instead rests on grinding it out and not throwing the game because the moment things start to go wrong on a team people explode and then give up the ghost completely, either AFKing or spending so much time being a keyboard hero whilst defending their honour or verbally attacking a team mate.

    By which point it doesn't matter if your 30/0/X because the games over, the other team already succumbed to infighting and stopped playing properly 15 mins ago, it's not that you won but instead they lost.

    Anyone else feeling the same? Bear in mind this about solo que, obviously 5v5 is another beast entirely and those guys can get the props they deserve for being imba......but for me in the solo que I'm starting to feel like the game has very little to do with me beyond the obvious.
    I somewhat agree. This mainly has to do with the fact that I encounter so many games where people claim they are carrying the game. They have 19 kills before 15 minutes. They also have 14 deaths. The big issue lies with the fact that they have 7 kills on supports and they died 14 times to a carry. They still claim they are pulling their weight in the game, but they run out to get 1v1 exchanges. Short version; If you do not die, you will not lose. That's how I play the game. Get in on team engages, because that's what you do. Only go in on solo engages if you have vision on the surroundings, have to push a lane, know you can win, or are baiting your enemy.

    I have a pretty low K/D Ratio, a pretty big A ratio, so my main game revolves around playing supports or tanky junglers and the occasional Top lane bruiser with a primary focus on farm. As a Jungler, I focus on objectives, blue, red, dragon, baron, warding the river and if I am confident I can survive or even win, the enemy jungle. I'll gank or pressure the lane if an enemy champ plays careless, or if you plan to turret dive and can get away with it. For all other references, I direct you to Sky.

    So yeah, my game is about preservation when I solo queue.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Plagiarizer View Post
    Maybe not what youre looking for:
    but lately ive started playing zilean support in solo q. and when i go 2/2/21 preventing 5-10 deaths and making my adc run around like a sprinter. i feel like i won that for my team
    Might get Zilean actually since I mainly jungle or support and that sounds fun. Taric seems hideously OP post buff, stun>shatter>dead ADC seems hard to counter unless those PBE changes have landed yet. Wasn't trying to be negative in the OP but was philosophising before going to bed and reflecting on a recent win streak.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    Has anyone ever actually won in solo que?
    The winning teams, yes.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •