Tell me exactly how disintegration beam/eye sore works.

I was surviving about half the time on Durumu in the few attempts we did tonight but I couldn't really get a handle on how the mechanic was working enough to avoid it 100% of the time. I get that there's melee/ranged paths but sometimes it seems like they just aren't there and you get stuck in the middle of purple crap with nowhere to go.

I assume you'd only have this problem as part of the 'melee' clump as the ranged path was always very large and clear in my experience. Two possible solutions, sometimes when you're right up close you might have to step inside the boss just a little bit in order to avoid the purple gunk. Easier than that though is to just stand at range where the gaps in the gunk are big and clear. The boss has an enormous hitbox and you'll be able to wack away from afar.

If you don't see the path then you went the wrong direction.. it's pretty clear where it's going. I'm in the ranged one and sometimes need to boost my speed, but I've never ever seen no path in front of me.
    Karuzo | Drainlife, US-Arthas
    Mistweaver Monk - armory - twitter - raider.io - twitch

The start of the maze is the hardest part since the path isn' t always obvious. Just keep an eye out for the slightest opening despite how close the beam may be to you and stand there until it starts clearing up. Once you survive the first 7-10 seconds the maze opens up. Also, my 10m group used only the melee path and marked a star on the RL to follow just incase.

We found that the ranged path is extremely easy to follow, so we have our whole raid stand there. When the phase is about to end, me being the warrior tank just leap into the melee path, so the boss has me in range. Now if you don't have a warrior, or someone that can get to the boss through the purple stuff I must say that, while the ranged is certainly easier, the melee path remains perfectly doable :P.

When he starts to charge up the beam it's harmless. Your raid should go and stack up near it so you can move either left or quickly depending on which side the purple stuff spawns on. About 10-15 seconds after he starts charging the beam, the purple stuff will start spawning from either the left or right of the boss. It will spawn either clockwise on the left side, and counter-clockwise on the right side, the beam will also spin in this direction. So when the purple stuff begins spawning immediately move just in front of it. Ranged go to the back, melee near the front. Once the purple stuff comes full circle the safe zones will appear and will start spinning with the beam. The ranged safe zone is significantly easier to do than the melee one, so if melee are struggling just have them go ranged.

Deleted

This is the best way I can explain it.

Basically you need to gather at the beams original location and wait for the first section to be covered in the purple/black AoE, then you gather at the octant just before it which isn't covered either at melee or at the middle circle bit (I would need an image of Durumu's room to point to it, which I don't have at the moment).