10+ Year Old Account

[Prot] Shado-pan Assault Talisman

Hey fellow Warrior tanks

Let's share some thoughts about the Shado-pan Assault trinkets.

Brutal Talisman:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=94508
    75s internal Cooldown, 8800 Strength equals about 10,69% Parry.
    Good expertise and I'd probably reforge it into mastery and still have much more expertise in general.

Steadfast Talisman:
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=94507
    120s Cooldown. 18% initial dodge. Every two seconds, the dodge bonus is reduced by 1.8% until the 20s duration is met.
    Chunk of mastery on it and a big on-use increase in dodge which diminishes over time.

So... I'm not certain which Trinket to take. We can only equip one talisman.

My preference goes to the Brutal Talisman, reforging the exp into mastery. 8800 bonus strength also increases the absorption of Shield Barrier and boosts our DPS which is definetly no disadvantage.

I'm also aiming to keep my expertise as high as possible - got 7.8% and I'd like to have moaarrrr - so that would also point towards the Brutal one..

Your thoughts?

Greetings

Edit: first time for me with links, I don't know how to post the items directly (mouseover).. just PM me in that case and I'll know for the future. thanks.
    Last edited by Pippo89; 2013-03-08 at 08:48 AM.
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

Deleted
    I took the mastery one because I dont like expertise/hit on trinkets.

Not having any expertise/hit on your trinkets means that you can swap them out for stamina trinkets without losing your caps anytime you want, which is insanely useful.

Deleted
    I also went for the mastery one. I'm not sure what gear level you are on, but as soon as you hit the expertise/hit caps, hit and expertise become about equal to mastery since you can just reforge the rest to it. Also, attack power you get from str is not affecting your shield barriers, it only takes vengeance AP.
    The nice thing about the dodge trinket is that it's an on use effect, so when big attacks are coming in you can use it to avoid some of them.
    So I do think they are very equal for prot, when you are not expertise capped yet I would go for the expertise one since, imo, getting exp and hit capped it quite important. Once you can reach the caps I would go for the mastery one since it has an on use effect and because it's a bigger amount of avoidance for a short while.

Deleted
    Stick with your current trinkets, I wont be changing away from double stamina for quite a while

10+ Year Old Account
    Well I'm raiding 10man, and at the moment I've got 484 Relic and 502 Vial (& 496 Nightmare). My ilvl is 498.
    For reference we've downed the first two bosses in the Throne so far.

@zulbukh + TCCB:
    To which exp cap are you referring? Soft or hard? Softcap is no problem at all, but I like expertise beyond 7.5% because I just hate parried Revenge and Shield Slams.
    And this is getting rarer with 7.5+.
    However I do not force the hardcap = no exp gems besides 1x exp/mastery in the only red socket in my gear..

@TCCB:
    "Also, attack power you get from str is not affecting your shield barriers, it only takes vengeance AP."
    Really? Source please. Tooltip says absorbed damage is increased by attack power. Nothing about only Vengeance AP.

@eddy:
    2x Stam? I guess you're raiding 25 man?
    We are as God intended. Fallible, yet capable of great things.

Deleted
    If you look at the formula, the base AP from str is discounted. So only the +10% AP of the raid buff is accounted for str.

I bought the Brutal and I'm rather happy with it. I was using double stamina trinkets, but I had the relic and the improved to 497 shado-pan trinket. The relic was too low ilevel at this point, although the thing is great, and I would overbudgeted for it's ilvl, it's falling behind at this point.

About the reforge problems, the instance seems to have plenty of space to take out mounts, so you can reforge on the spot if you need it for one specific boss. Anyways, I'm going to use Soul Barrier as stam trinket, and as second tanky one the other expertise trinket (ji-kun's rising), so having this offensive trinket with expertise is rather convenient to switch both trinkets.

One on one, having to choose between the two trinkets, and forgetting about everything else, I would have took the Brutal instead of Steadfast anyways. You can't rely on avoidance to save you in a tight spot, so it's better to look at the average % you get. On that, Brutal wins, by a good chunk. Brutal have the problem that you will "lose" the proc when non-tanking something, because it procs on hit, but on the other hand, ~20kAP procs. Worth it.
    Last edited by mmoc38db56fadf; 2013-03-08 at 02:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pippo89 View Post
    @eddy:
    2x Stam? I guess you're raiding 25 man?
    Yeah, I guess you might be better off going for one avoidance 1 stam in 10 man though