Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Prot Paladin vs Prot Warrior for high end raiding

Are they both viable or do guilds pick one over the other ? and what one is better at keeping aggro and soloing

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Whatsausername View Post
    Are they both viable or do guilds pick one over the other ? and what one is better at keeping aggro and soloing
    Protection Paladins are probably one of the best tanks at the moment.
    Battle Healer glyph + Seal of Insight is Godly.
    Devotion Aura.
    Light's Hammer.
    Array of personal cooldowns.
    If you're Haste stacked, you'll probably be 2nd-4th on DPS.
    Great burst.
    Our AoE has been buffed.
    Dodge/Parry is slightly less useless for us now, still useless though.

I tank with a warrior in 10m progression, maybe a lsightly above average guild but nothing cutting edge. I think warriors have the potential for higher dps, but paladins have good snap threat, especially aoe snap threat. Warriors have excellent mobility, paladins have excellent raid utility. Unless you're a bleeding edge progression guild you don't need to worry about picking one or the other, just take the better player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    I tank with a warrior in 10m progression, maybe a lsightly above average guild but nothing cutting edge. I think warriors have the potential for higher dps, but paladins have good snap threat, especially aoe snap threat. Warriors have excellent mobility, paladins have excellent raid utility. Unless you're a bleeding edge progression guild you don't need to worry about picking one or the other, just take the better player.
    I heard Warriors have to have some Crit because their rage regen is a bit screwed up. Is that true?

Quote Originally Posted by Felir View Post
    I heard Warriors have to have some Crit because their rage regen is a bit screwed up. Is that true?
    I play prot pally, my co-tank is the warrior. Bad wording on my part. All of my warrior evidence is purely anecdotal :x

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Monolith of Mazes View Post
    I play prot pally, my co-tank is the warrior. Bad wording on my part. All of my warrior evidence is purely anecdotal :x
    Oh yeah, I misinterpreted that! Sorry. Prot Paladins unite.

I could be wrong but I don't think crit does anything for warrior rage generation. However, expertise and hit are much more highly valued now because most of our rage generation is tied to damaging abilities, which need to land. The amount done by said abilities doesn't change the rage generated afaik.

Deleted
    Both, one of each

Deleted
    Fury Warrior can hold two two-hand wreapons, thats why I roll the warrior!

I prefer prot paladin, though both offer good raid utility. pala though their healing, hop and sac and warrior through banners and rallying cry

Deleted
    10m = paladin no doubt.

25m I'd say they are about equal

Deleted
    Nah, crit has ZERO value for rage gen.
    With that said, prot warrior damage is on the low end of tanks atm.
    We seriously need buffs but GC is retarded beyond belief, he nerfs us and calls it a buff......... GG.....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Nah, crit has ZERO value for rage gen.
    With that said, prot warrior damage is on the low end of tanks atm.
    We seriously need buffs but GC is retarded beyond belief, he nerfs us and calls it a buff......... GG.....
    Weird. I got told by some Warrior in one of the best guilds on Twisting Nether that he'd picked up some Crit as their rage regen was so shit. Oh well.

Deleted
    Weird. I got told by some Warrior in one of the best guilds on Twisting Nether that he'd picked up some Crit as their rage regen was so shit. Oh well.
    Sounds like he's mixing up the enrage mechanic between DPS warriors and Prot Warriors or he's talking about DPS warrior to begin with. Prot warriors aren't struggling with rage regen.
    On topic, while paladins are maybe a bit more optimized for 10-man, warriors are extremely, extremely reliable tanks for progress in any setting. Rock solid tanks any way you look at it.

Deleted
    currently....having a pally (not just a tank) in the raid can nulify so many fights into removing or delaying tank swaps

for example on horridan one tank can stay on him the whole fight....just bubbling/Bopping the debuff at 6 stacks during a double swipe

on durmumuu you can bop/bubble of the healing debuff

these only name a few...add in the 100k-200k dps and 40k hps a prot pally will do in a raid environment (if they are good)......they are even stronger this tier than they were before

on 25man they are not essential but in a 10man they are easily the best tanks on the majority of the fights

Deleted
    Prot paladins outdo warriors so much on dps, raidhealing and raid/self utlility that it's not even funny. There you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Espada View Post
    Prot paladins outdo warriors so much on dps, raidhealing and raid/self utlility that it's not even funny. There you go.
    He just said everything here..... This new tier prto paladins are awesome. Doing around 20-30k more dmg tthem the other tank in my guild (warrior) Still taking the same amount of dmg as him or even less. and doing 15% of the raid healing

battle healer glyph alone is enough to bring a prot pally.

not that warriors are gimpped or anything, they're in a good spot apart from the recent dps nerfs. i'd still pick a prot pally over a warrior.

Having played 4 of the 5 tank classes at 90, I have the following conclusions:

Warriors are more mobile than Paladins. This means they are a more proactive tank. With offensive and defensive cooldowns, stuns, and banners this means they can do more than Paladins can. Warriors also have the capability of having a block ability and a shield ability to mitigate more spell damage.

Paladins, while less mobile, are more reactive tanks. Glyph of Battle Mender, Hand spells, and our only raid cd is the defensive Devotion Aura.

When it comes to AoE, both classes are what-and-what. Neither of them have impressive upfront aoe snap threat, Paladins edge here slightly with Avenger Shield. Neither of them are close to the aoe upfront threat of a Monk's Keg Smash. Paladins will scale better with Vengeance for aoe than a Warrior will. At some point the Warrior will end up being GCD locked with Revenge procing considerably more in an aoe situation than he has GCD's to use, while the Paladin will end up casting Avenger's Shield more often.

With Paladins stacking more haste, something that's pointless for Warriors to do, it gives them the edge as far as tanks go. Allowing for more Seal of Insight/Battle Mender procs, and being able to go through their rotation faster. There are many situations where I would want to play my warrior tank, but in general the paladin is the one I main due to being "overall better". Just because the warrior is doing less damage, don't under-estimate his Crit banner and the high mobility of the class on certain fights.

Deleted
    In 10man Prot paladin eases things so much that your just gimping your raid when not bringing one. I dont mean its necessary, but its like not bringing a Bloodlust.