Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Class/spec themes

Do you feel like the theme of your class/spec fits the name? Does your BM hunter feel like a beast master? Does your Fury warrior feel like a beserker?

10+ Year Old Account
    "Does the execution of the concept deliver on the fantasy"?

This is actually an important question developers ask themselves before putting things live. It's what gets us things like Glyph of Verdant Spheres, because they're in charge of drawing a line between what lives in the minds of the players ("I wanna play a Blood Mage!") and what's technically possible, fitting for the game, thematically correct, etc ("Warlocks use visible soulshards now. We can utilize this to deliver on the bloodmage fantasy").

I must say that after the introduction (and uphill-targetting fix) of Heroic Leap, WoW has delivered on the Fury Warrior / Barbarian fantasy a lot more than it did previous.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepherd57 View Post
    Do you feel like the theme of your class/spec fits the name? Does your BM hunter feel like a beast master? Does your Fury warrior feel like a beserker?
    I can only tell from a paladin perspective.

Holy: Should feel a little more "holy". I would def. like a form of light coming from my paladin or having his eyes (perhaps by glyph) flash when critting with a holy spell. I like armor that is more silvery/golden with blue/red/purple accents.
    Retribution: Should feel a little more menacing. I mean... come on. They are like the Lights-Justice. Tier 2 armor was very good towards retribution.
    Protection: I have no input on the matter, I don't feel paladins should be tanks. I have tanked tho and I wouldn't say they should take it away. I just have no image of a paladin tanking. I see warriors/bears tanking. I feel pretty much the same with DK's and Monks

Deleted
    Well, my frost Death knight is frosty, but i would like it to look bloody cause ... red is my favorite color that's all.

My survival hunter doesn't feel like a survivalist. BM and MM feel more like their spec descriptions.

My blood dk needs more blood sprinkling out of me and the mobs I attack.
    I'm still thinking about it...

I don't really see much discipline in the Discipline spec. Other priest specs fit thematically though.
    In cata I really though that the plague and disease aspect of Unholy were missing, but now they actually do decent damage and it's closer to a DoT class. Frost really doesn't feel very frosty to me, it's just a lot of physical damage.
    Balance druids are a bit weird because they are at their strongest when they're in one eclipse or the other, not when they are balanced in between both. Maybe that's just me.
    I'm not quite feeling the Enhancement part of shamans. To me it sounds like a support spec whose main purpose is buffing(ergo, ehancing) team members.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    Yeah, DKs really need some new spell animations. Their current ones are quite boring and remove a lot of falvor from the specs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Protection: I have no input on the matter, I don't feel paladins should be tanks.
    Protector of the Innocent! Just imagine all of your party/raid members are Lvl 18 pigtailed female gnomes wielding fishing rods.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't played MoP so far, so my feeling might be very inacurate...

At Cata launch Fury warriors have been presented with 2 major changes, one was smf, the other was raging blow... if we compare it with enhancement we will notice that raging blow (artwork wise, not its mechanics) is very similar to shaman's stormstrike... With MoP they added two other shaman like spells, being them totem, sorry banners i wanted to say, lol, and wild strike wich is just like lava lash, even that wild strike uses a proced mechanic... I still haven't understood why they maded slam arms only.

So answering your question, it looks that Fury's is currently closer to enhancement the it was untill WtLK, even that this feeling coming from me isn't accurate at all, because i haven't tested MoP yet.

They'll never be able to do it perfectly, even with what they themselves describe each spec as providing. But I think they do a good job with most. In fact, with the new glyphs they've gone beyond that to where players can create their own themes. For instance, I'm working on a warrior, kinda loving it actually, that with some minor glyphs I can play as a sort of mystical/magical melee fighter. Lightning strikes on thunder clap, blazing trail, etc.

My survival hunter doesn't feel like a survivalist. BM and MM feel more like their spec descriptions.
    Beast Master Hunters feel the most like their spec is depicted to be, although I feel like they could benefit from more moves that evoke a sort of "bestial" nature.

The other hunter specs definitely need some work. The overall flow of Marksman is strange and only feels like an archer with Aimed Shot procs and Survival definitely doesn't feel like a wilderness hunter either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuqui-tuqui View Post
    Mortal Kombat levels of blood, amirite?

Blood lacks... Blood, I agree.

Enhancement seems to look a lot more like 'lightningfireRAGERAMPAGERAAAAAARGH!' than it does 'I make things work better!' So... I feel the spec doesn't really sound like the things it does.

Windwalker is another one that really doesn't sound like what it does. What it does: Death. What it sounds like: Running in the air. The two aren't all that closely related.

Arcane is another one that really doesn't fit. I mean: What's so arcane about 1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-2-1-1-1-1-2? :P I kid, I kid... Though 'obscure' is not how I would describe the spec.

Druids have Balance... Which isn't really balance at all. Oh; you now need to 'balance' your lunar and solar power, but with 'balance,' I'm thinking more of achieving a balance between life and death, destruction and growth. As it stands, all it does is 'balance out' the restoration tree. Maybe Druids shouldn't have a balance spec, but instead a Blight spec, that works with diseases, afflictions, infections, rot and... Oh; that's Unholy.

Unholy, then! Should be re-named Blight and made a Druid spec. :P Seriously, though... What is so incredibly Unholy about Unholy? Where is the profanity? Is this a Death Knight who goes around saying 'I hate both religion AND people, and all can go to hell for all I care!'? The self-destructive emo-Death Knight spec? Maybe a DK that also swears and curses a lot, and eats pork and shellfish?

Or how about Subtlety? 'I teleport to you, and then turn your backside into so much minced meat! Hah! I am SUBTLE!' Yeah... Ehm... About that...
    Seriously, with Subtlety, I'd expect a rogue who'd sneak up on their opponent, slip a bit of poison into their waterskin, and sneak off again. Maybe. Or possibly a rogue who plants a forged letter into their opponent's pockets, planted to be found by another enemy of that opponent, containing false implications that will have their opponent hanged. What I do NOT expect is cruel, dual-bladed evisceration with blood flying everywhere.
    Maybe Subtlety could be more aptly renamed to 'Shadowstriker.' Or something like that.

So... There's a few.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Blood lacks... Blood, I agree.

Enhancement seems to look a lot more like 'lightningfireRAGERAMPAGERAAAAAARGH!' than it does 'I make things work better!' So... I feel the spec doesn't really sound like the things it does.
    You enhance your .. everything.. with lightningfireragerampageraargh. Not sure how you're mistaking Enhancement with .. uh.. gnomish engineering.

Deleted
    Fire mage. I shoot fire. I burn things.

I think it fits fairly well.

holy priests depending on a shadowfiend and turning into scourge units don't feel very holy.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    All three mage specs are basically the same thing with different colors. I do not feel like a master of magic, I feel like a proc fisher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really, in some cases not at all. I mean for Hunter for example, your pet does do a lot more damage but the other specs still have the pet. Only thing is that it gets bigger and you can have dinosaurs etc. The other specs in appearance are pretty much the same but I think they do fit with the abilities. Survival focusing on better ways to survive and MM having more shots that hit hard etc.

Warriors, on the other hand, feel the same.
    Last edited by TJ; 2013-03-12 at 07:49 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    All three mage specs are basically the same thing with different colors. I do not feel like a master of magic, I feel like a proc fisher.
    pretty much.

Keep things on cooldown, hit a button when something proc's. We are pretty much Elemental Shamans from WOTLK.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just use mog set themed on a spec i use:

(yeah its called beastmaster)
    Don't sweat the details!!!