Thread: making tea

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I make my tea from a kettle, but I have a hard time believing there is any actual science behind the idea that water boiled in a kettle is going to make tea taste better than water boiled in the microwave.

That just seems like the kind of thing that people believe just because everyone says it's true.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    While I make my tea from a kettle, but I have a hard time believing there is any actual science behind the idea that water boiled in a kettle is going to make tea taste better than water boiled in the microwave.

That just seems like the kind of thing that people believe just because everyone says it's true.
    You must clean your microwave a lot. I try to get around to it about once a week, but something as subtle as tea, especially since you would boil it without a lid... well you'd definitely taste the difference.
    ___

There's also something cathartic about brewing tea the classic way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Incase you were thinking I was joking about deep frying a liquid.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fried_Coke

Thats a US invention though, the Jocks cannot claim that one.
    Oh I can one up that with something even more horrifying: fried beer. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddr...-in-Texas.html

Yes it came from Texas.

OT: At home, I heat water in the kettle until a steady stream of steam comes out the top which is just before it whistles. Then I pour the water over the tea and let it steep until it looks like coffee. And then I proceed to drown the son of a bitch in milk.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Surely no one is that daft? I hope.....
    i know of a person that tried to make a softboiled egg in a kettle. so... yeah people are that stupid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    You must clean your microwave a lot. I try to get around to it about once a week, but something as subtle as tea, especially since you would boil it without a lid... well you'd definitely taste the difference.
    I don't boil water in the microwave myself -- I use a kettle for my tea -- but my microwave is pretty spotless since I barely use it.

I'm just curious about the claim. I hear people say this all the time but I can't imagine any logical reason why the heat source used to boil water would have any impact at all on taste. People just repeat it over and over but I've never actually seen any science supporting that claim. It doesn't really make sense from a chemical standpoint. I'll bet that assuming it was otherwise made identical (same temp, same time, etc), even the biggest tea snob wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.

I mean, it might be true, but I'm pretty skeptical.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Could be something to do with the way the steam is created, with a kettle there is lots of steam hence the phrase 'freshly boiled water', with a microwave I notice hardly any steam.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't boil water in the microwave myself -- I use a kettle for my tea -- but my microwave is pretty spotless since I barely use it.

I'm just curious about the claim. I hear people say this all the time but I can't imagine any logical reason why the heat source used to boil water would have any impact at all on taste. People just repeat it over and over but I've never actually seen any science supporting that claim. It doesn't really make sense from a chemical standpoint. I'll bet that assuming it was otherwise made identical (same temp, same time, etc), even the biggest tea snob wouldn't be able to tell the difference in a blind taste test.

Let us have our false sense of superiority, dammit!
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted

I don't know about anyone else, but I can taste the difference between microwaved soup and soup heated on a stove.

My point was that a dirty microwave would give it a noticeable difference in taste, while a clean microwave would not.

Deleted
    I think all teas taste bad without sugar.. and adding sugar is just extra calories so I stick to black coffee and water.

But I've got tea as a gift so I just put the bags in a coffee filter and made it like I make coffee:P

I don't know about anyone else, but I can taste the difference between microwaved soup and soup heated on a stove.
    Different... The microwave does cook differently, so it's going to alter the texture of food. In the case of clean water, there should be no difference.