Role-playing games and communities. Discussion and opinions!

Hey folks!

I'm currently in a "phase" where I'm looking into underrepresented genres of gaming, this seemed like a good place to gather more connections and feedback on it. I've recently been curious about role-playing online. First hand reaction you get when I tell people I'm looking into role-play... well, let's just say it seems to be a hard sell. Hear me out though. Have you ever played GTA? Good.

Imagine an online GTA where people own houses, arranges "street racing" with in-game money betting, where some players plays cops and scouts the city for races or illegal activities, and so forth. More or less an alive city with people playing for different factions, goals and ideals. I got convinced to play on such a server, it took me a few days to get into the flow but once I understood the approach... it was most probably the best gaming experience I've had. It felt like an interactive digital movie.

Unfortunately that place shut down and I'm now looking for more like-minded people or interesting projects on role-play. Are there any suggestions, ideas or people playing currently on role-playing games?

Thanks!
    Don't kill me for liking nerdmanship. It's fun once you try.
    Last edited by The Madgod; 2013-03-08 at 04:19 PM.

I'm going to ignore the fact that part of your post is about an illegal private server. I'm also willing to bet that server has very poor RP due to the fact that their creators feel they can write a better Warcraft than Blizzard (which while possible I find very arrogant).

Soooo if you don't mind, I edited that part out, since I think this thread does have some premise outside of that.

(Also I've never played GTA. I was always a Saints Row sort of person)

In terms of roleplaying communities I like, here's a very solid place for Warcraft RP at the very least. Lots of nice people, friendly moderator (), just a bunch of jolly good fun!

As for other avenues for roleplaying, I don't really have any good ones off the top of my head, aside from World's End Tavern on the official WoW forums or in the actual game of WoW, but that's a bit iffy. I'm working on my own RP site (there's a thread talking about it a bit here actually) but it's not fleshed out enough for a truly amazing experience just yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well as an avid forum rp'er I suggest forum rp'ing. It allows for a lot more creative freedom.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Forum RP is really the only way to go, imho.