Page 1 of 82
1
2
3
11
51
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,977

    [Megathread] SimCity 5

    For all discussion regarding launch issues, technical issues, launch day fail, EA eating babies or deflowering your new girlfriend, post here.

    All discussion in this thread is to be limited to gameplay discussion only.

  2. #2
    so as i just said in the other thread, that button that says "show regions with abandoned cities" is the biggest load of bull i have ever seen. it does fuck all! takes for ever finding a region with an abandoned city!

    we should start a mmo-c region! whos with me?
    Too cool for a signature

  3. #3
    I am Murloc! rhorle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,493
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    ive actually not gone into the red yet but my city has reached a point of stagnation, i dont have room to build much else
    That is part of the "puzzle" and city simulation part of the game. Sometimes you have to demolish for the sake of city progress. It is a bigger hassle and deal when you have high cost buildings like say a Stadium or a fully upgraded Hospital/Station. Thats a lot of money lost just to rebuild. But commercial, industry, and residential zones don't really lose you anything to rebuild or reshape. You only lose the cost of the roads to redo it (and the parks or other objects).

    You'll take a temporary hit in taxes, population etc. But it should all rebound quickly enough if you do it small chunks. I redid a section of residential zoning to get an avenue down the center and everything built right back up quickly. I'm not even sure if my budget took a hit (beyond the cost of roads).

    I've just done a little fumbling around in a city and it isn't doing very well. I'm starting to see that to create my tourist/gambling mecca I should start my city off first by exploiting industry and raw materials to build up the basics and get a decent cash flow. Then slowly demolish the industry to make way for the rest. That or actually play in a public region. My commercial zones kept closing down cause I couldn't get enough residents to work in my casino city (didn't create any others in the region).

    I also really wish that the profits from the casino went straight into my pocket. Maybe they do with a gambling HQ but I wanted to cry every time I looked at the profits of the basic casino while I was struggling to get the cash to build police stations and other need stuff.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post

    I also really wish that the profits from the casino went straight into my pocket. Maybe they do with a gambling HQ but I wanted to cry every time I looked at the profits of the basic casino while I was struggling to get the cash to build police stations and other need stuff.

    where do the profits of the casino go?

    i was thinking something was up, mine was saying profits of 15k.
    Too cool for a signature

  5. #5
    Old God Nerraw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    10,499
    Having a meteor shower take out your most profitable coal mine hurts.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaeed Massani View Post
    Having a meteor shower take out your most profitable coal mine hurts.
    LOL

    i had a tornado a while back, luckily it was in the one corner of the map i hadnt built in, like 5mins later i built quite a bit there, lucky it didnt hit then :P

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-08 at 11:57 PM ----------

    are people here playing in a private region with friends, or a region with random people?
    Too cool for a signature

  7. #7
    According to the week-old letsallbemayor.com livestreams, air pollution can be reduced by educating the sims (they will use less water, power, produce less garbage and more recycling), also by planting trees (under the parks, it's in the "nature$$" tab, at the end). As for ground pollution, putting in treatment addons to your water facility over a patch of brown water (not the water tower, but the other one) as well as the regular water holding addon, is apparently supposed to give you clean water to use. So having the sewage building that is just a pipe that shoots poo out onto the ground, and having it next to your water treatment plant with the filter addons, is supposed to give you near an unlimited amount of water.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    According to the week-old letsallbemayor.com livestreams, air pollution can be reduced by educating the sims (they will use less water, power, produce less garbage and more recycling), also by planting trees (under the parks, it's in the "nature$$" tab, at the end). As for ground pollution, putting in treatment addons to your water facility over a patch of brown water (not the water tower, but the other one) as well as the regular water holding addon, is apparently supposed to give you clean water to use. So having the sewage building that is just a pipe that shoots poo out onto the ground, and having it next to your water treatment plant with the filter addons, is supposed to give you near an unlimited amount of water.

    thanks didn't you write this in the other thread? someone said something similar. after i built a college some factories upgraded and reduced pollution so its fine now
    Too cool for a signature

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    thanks didn't you write this in the other thread? someone said something similar. after i built a college some factories upgraded and reduced pollution so its fine now
    Nope, that was someone else. I just added in the planting trees part, since this is a different thread.

    Oh, and if you find yourself running out of water, apparently building water towers near the ocean/river will give you an unlimited amount of water. Of course, that doesn't help if you don't have that option, so doing the sewage thing would probably help. And my guess, that would be a cheaper way than having the sewage treatment plant. Not sure, as I don't have the game. All my "knowledge" comes from the livestreams I mentioned.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,728
    Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    EA eating babies or deflowering your new girlfriend, post here.
    My day has been made right here Sj. Thanks.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

  11. #11
    I am Murloc! aikoyamamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,021
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    so as i just said in the other thread, that button that says "show regions with abandoned cities" is the biggest load of bull i have ever seen. it does fuck all! takes for ever finding a region with an abandoned city!

    we should start a mmo-c region! whos with me?
    I think I would be! Add me at sillysilly3
    Edit: Oh this is is a shared account so it might not always be me at the other end xD

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post

    we should start a mmo-c region! whos with me?
    Actually I'd be down with a MMO-C region.

  13. #13
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Amsterdam
    Posts
    202
    me too, EU or NA?

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! aikoyamamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,021
    I'd be happy to set up the region. I'm not sure what all there is to talk about but I might have an old WoW vent we could borrow if it takes off.

    So server. I'm leaning NA because it has probably had the most work to smooth out the issues. Anyone have any issues with that? We could try one more middle-ground for location if most of us aren't in the US.

  15. #15
    Over 9000! Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    9,990
    Can i join? You can see my amazing city building skills..and by amazing i mean, "omg everything is on fire and covered in poop..it's prob best to just put them out of their misery!" >.<

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    LOL

    i had a tornado a while back, luckily it was in the one corner of the map i hadnt built in, like 5mins later i built quite a bit there, lucky it didnt hit then :P

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-08 at 11:57 PM ----------

    are people here playing in a private region with friends, or a region with random people?
    I had a monster lizard natural disaster once, and it went straight for my garbage dump in the fringes of suburbia and... ate the garbage. lol

    I've been playing with random people, but those regions are just deserted. I'd like to join MMO-C region if you want to start it up, add goosie.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Can i join? You can see my amazing city building skills..and by amazing i mean, "omg everything is on fire and covered in poop..it's prob best to just put them out of their misery!" >.<

    hahahaha :P


    i would lvoe to join an mmo-c region, but where? EU or US? we got a lot of players for both, so someone can chose where to make one and put the origin ID here.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 12:34 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Goosie View Post
    I had a monster lizard natural disaster once, and it went straight for my garbage dump in the fringes of suburbia and... ate the garbage. lol

    I've been playing with random people, but those regions are just deserted. I'd like to join MMO-C region if you want to start it up, add goosie.

    a monster lizard?!

    yeha, im going to let someone else start the region i think, i dont know where to make it, EU or US. seems to be a queue for every EU server right now.
    Too cool for a signature

  18. #18
    I am Murloc! aikoyamamato's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Orem, UT
    Posts
    5,021
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Can i join? You can see my amazing city building skills..and by amazing i mean, "omg everything is on fire and covered in poop..it's prob best to just put them out of their misery!" >.<
    Everyone and anyone can join!

    I'll tentatively set one up right now on Europe West 2. It's a new server so it's not too full. Add my ID and send me a message for an invite: sillysilly3
    The region will of course be locked so it's invite only. I'll choose one of the bigger maps to let more people in.
    Last edited by aikoyamamato; 2013-03-09 at 12:42 AM.

  19. #19
    is there any draw backs to playing on a NA server from EU? i cant imagine lag will be a massive problem here.
    Too cool for a signature

  20. #20
    Moderator Sj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    4,977
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    My day has been made right here Sj. Thanks.
    I take a swing every once in a while

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •