Snes controllers

I just recently pulled my extra Snes controllers out of storage the other day and discovered that they don't seem to work right. Every button except the start and select buttons. Does anyone one know if these can be fixed and if this is a common problem with the Snes controllers?

They should be fairly simple to open and either dust out/re-allign the connectors.

Sometimes they'll just die due to metal fatigue, espcially if you've had them someplace damp. Sometimes the rubbery or plastic board inside comes loose too, which just requires a re-adjustment. They can be fidly to screw back together again and it helps to have someone else clamp the cover back shut, while you put the screws back in.

I know you can buy USB ones for the PC, so i'd imagine getting replacement ones for a SNES shouldn't be too hard to come by.

Worst case scenario is you open it up and break it, but they're broken anyways. Best case, they work!

I've refurbished and restored tons of SNES controllers. All you need is a small screwdriver to open it up, some rubbing alcohol or Windex (ammonia-based cleaner, just don't mix with chlorine/bleach cleaners), and cotton swabs. Be sure not to dump all the parts out before you observe how they fit together. Most of the time, the little rubber pieces and their metal connectors are dirty. While you have it apart, it's not a bad idea to soak the buttons (just the plastic parts) in a water & cleaner solution.

Thanks for the advise I will have to see about trying that out. I really hope its just dirt cause my A/V out cable is on its last legs too and I really hope that its not just the console it's self having issues with its contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaosbringer View Post
    Thanks for the advise I will have to see about trying that out. I really hope its just dirt cause my A/V out cable is on its last legs too and I really hope that its not just the console it's self having issues with its contacts.
    No prob! If you have any friends with extra controllers or cords, you could see if you can borrow them to test your console. The A/V cables aren't really that expensive on ebay (they use the same cable as the GameCube), but the controllers can be a little pricey at times.