Thread: smite healing?

Deleted

smite healing?

is smiteing & penance really the way to go? if it is, then is it better to stack haste, crit or mastery?
    the reason i ask, ive been looking at numerous posts on the priest forum & some swear by it, even after the latest patch & 10% nerf.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything is ilvl dependent so I can't give you perfect advice based on your post, and variables differ from boss to boss, but in general crit > mastery >>>> haste with your spirit at a comfortable level. For reference, I run with around 9k spirit give or take 500 with two regen trinkets, though I would replace one with lei Shens crit trinket once I get done passing to other dps.

And yes, Atonement is generally the way to go, particularly in 10 mans. Obviously you need to dig into your arsenal and use several other abilities along with atonement, but most of the time you'll find atonement will account for 40-70% of your healing (mileage may vary, of course depending on the fight, your raid comp, etc).
    Last edited by ramennoodleking; 2013-06-03 at 02:15 AM.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by ramennoodleking View Post
    Everything is ilvl dependent so I can't give you perfect advice based on your post, and variables differ from boss to boss, but in general crit > mastery >>>> haste with your spirit at a comfortable level. For reference, I run with around 9k spirit give or take 500 with two regen trinkets, though I would replace one with lei Shens crit trinket once I get done passing to other dps.

And yes, Atonement is generally the way to go, particularly in 10 mans. Obviously you need to dig into your arsenal and use several other abilities along with atonement, but most of the time you'll find atonement will account for 40-70% of your healing (mileage may vary, of course depending on the fight, your raid comp, etc).
    Crit trinket? for what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Crit trinket? for what?
    New! Halo! Now, buy one, get one free! (Insofar as it leaves a Halo's worth of Divine Aegis all over the raid. ~700k's a pretty good estimate without proper aiming.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    Crit trinket? for what?
    Lei Shen's trinket with the 100% crit proc is excellent for disc. In the proc you can get off around three 300+k PW:S or otherwise be guaranteed DA procs via whatever you are casting at that moment. It's an excellent choice for disc and some dps are passing it for their disc priests. I've let them have it cause I dont want to give my guild more reasons for me to play disc.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    It's actually the worst of the dps trinkets for disc. It only has a 3-5% uptime, and because crit is the stat you want to have on all your gear, the value of the trinket diminishes quickly. If you wanna play with big heals such as halo or if you wanna spam a few shields you better do it when your healing meta procs, as you won't have enough mana anyway to use those kind of spells outside of it (even with that trinket proccing). Much better trinkets are the crit trinket from Dark Animus and the haste trinket (reforge to crit) from Megaera. Even the haste vp trinket is better.

Stat prio is crit > spirit/haste > mastery. Since you'll be dpsing mostly mastery is bad because it does nothing for your dps. 2 crit > 1 int.

You can totally heal entire fights with nothing but atonement spam. That's on normal fights though, on hc's it's a bit harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    You fail to see the point of atonement. The dps is a side effect and a utility. Atonement is just the current healing filler rotation, and the reason you want crit is for the DA procs, which is why you also want a healthy amount of mastery because it not only increases DA size but also increases your atonement healing by way of the throughput increase mastery also provides. So you go from 90% base healing with atonement to 90% + whatever your mastery is adding.

If you are there for only your dps then actually the best way to go is full haste. But since more than likely your dps is playing second fiddle to keeping the raid alive by healing, crit > mastery >>> haste is the stat priority. There are obviously cases where you might have a disc that is only casting atonement, but in most situations what I described is the normal way to play disc. You either didn't explain your personal situation or you don't really know the spec that well.

And as far as the trinket goes, it obviously changes the way you play/gear, but you are incorrect on your assessment of the trinket.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    Full haste would only make you go oom faster. I tried a haste setup ealier, did around 85k dps, but had to use potions of focus and still was oom before the end of most fights. It only works if you have enough spirit, but since you want crit on every piece of gear it's pretty hard to get more than 8k spirit. My smite casts where only 0.6 secs at some point; someone else pointed out anything below 1 sec is just a waste.

As for trinkets, 3% uptime on 100% crit chance when you already have a 40% crit chance really is not as good as 1.5k crit or haste.

The OP is asking about people who swear by atonement, seems rather obvious he doesn't want to dps just as a filler.

10+ Year Old Account
    If he was asking if disc dps was worth if agree with you. But he asked about atonement...so in order to attain what you need out of atonement in most general raid settings, crit is valued highly with a balance towards mastery, haste far behind, and as little spirit as possible.

I only mentioned straight haste because that is the best theoretical dps, and only offered it as a counter to what you said.

You can argue the merits of the trinket, but I personally know several 12/13 heroic disc priests who actively use it, and I personally prefer it over the two you mentioned because it guarantees monster heals.

16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Deleted
    i roll with UVLS + HLG, the static int is huge on lei shens trinket + if it procs at the same time for something like a divine star its insane. like over 2.4mill healing just on a DS cast