Such a dramatic swing in combat DPS

So ive recently returned to the game. I dont expect much because I am undergeared at the moment. Rockin about a 462 ilevel. Still against comparable DPS as combat I feel so incredibly weak. My normal rotation hits like wet noodles when my cooldowns arent up. I know combat is about maximizing cooldown usage with restless blades so maybe ive answered my own question. I am expertise and hit capped. Even forked over the dough for that darkmoon trinket. Is this commonplace? I have been meaning to try assassination until I get more geared but all I seem to get from heroics are slow 1h. Is assassination the way to go for the undergeared?

Not sure about combat at that ilvl, but with the 460 blues you have stuff all secondary stats, a huge portion are eaten by hit/exp meaning that even though you're maximising your DPS with the gear you have, you're missing out on the damage modifiers/bonus regen of secondary stats, so of course you'll suck.

Deleted
    Most classes around that ilvl feel slow because - like Ryve said - hit/exp caps ruin the stat budget. For combat that means very little haste, which transcends directly to pace to play. That will change pretty rapidly though, and before you know it it'll be the most fast paced spec of the three.

Well, what kind of content do you run? If you are not yet raiding, then you only need 2040 each of hit and expertise to cap against dungeon bosses. That frees up over 1000 points of your secondary stat budget for other stats.

i have been raiding. Just LFR. Tryin to hit like 475 ilevel by this weekend to maybe get into some raids. Most pugs on my server 475 is minimum. Also I guess it doesnt help that I have yet to max my professions past 550. At 525 though so that shouldnt be too expensive. I guess I am missing more DPS than I thought with no real enchants or professions. Not to mention being outta the game im sure my rotation is a little rusty.

If I recall, assassination at lower gear levels should massively outshine combat - you may want to give it a go, it should be ahead all the way until BiS T15 gear (barring any extreme disparities in weapon item level).
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    If I recall, assassination at lower gear levels should massively outshine combat - you may want to give it a go, it should be ahead all the way until BiS T15 gear (barring any extreme disparities in weapon item level).
    This was my experience, before both were buffed (although assassination saw larger buffs for a lower gear level). OP: try plugging yourself into ShadowCraft (shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com) with your combat set, and as assassination with "reasonable" daggers for you to farm, and that will give you an approximate look at your single target capacity in each spec. Do tweak the settings for buffs/potions to match what you expect to be using.

I couldn't pull "comparable" DPS in combat until mid-480s, and I still found assassination ahead with lesser weapons, usually.