ToT Balance - NV Vs HOTW (Damage amp fights)

So the consensus tends to be that HOTW is better for patchwerk, and NV pulls ahead on fights with a damage amp like Elegon for example, but I was wondering how long/large of a buff you would need for NV to pull ahead...or, unless you are really pushing world top 50 say progress wise will the numbers difference really be too small to notice? (How you play will be a larger difference in dps than the talent choice I mean?)

Thinking of Jin and Horridon (as that is as far as we are so far, doing council tonight), I was Resto on those but I am MS Balance, so wondering for next time =)

Cheers.

I personally like NV more than HoTW. The Healing it does isnt inconsequential. I don't know the exact damage amp you need for NV, but I'm almost certain Horridon and Jin'rokh have enough of one to benefit. Perhaps Tortos if your group is really good about keeping the buff up.

Deleted
    I read somewhere that i cant remember that HoTW is like 3k around ahead of NV in DPS. Patchwerk Style that is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by moveth View Post
    I personally like NV more than HoTW. The Healing it does isnt inconsequential. I don't know the exact damage amp you need for NV, but I'm almost certain Horridon and Jin'rokh have enough of one to benefit. Perhaps Tortos if your group is really good about keeping the buff up.
    For Jin'rokh you obviously go with NV and use the cooldowns when you enter the first Conductive Waters.

For Horridon, HotW is going to be clearly ahead because of all the multi-dotting going on.

I've been trying both out. I used HoTW for Jin this week and our first couple attempts on Horridon, it was fine, a little lower dps than I had been doing before, but didn't seem like a big deal. Later this last week we went back into Terrace to help a guildy get their Sha kill and I switched to NV to play around and there was a marked difference. Basically for me, HoTW plus the new 522 neck was less dps than I was doing before with old NV and a 496 neck. NV plus the new neck was a big change to the positive. It's a bit more difficult to manage cause you can't just macro it together and if you delay hitting it when it's off CD to match it with an eclipse, it can mess up things when Incarnation comes off CD, but just something that comes with practice I think. I'm looking forward to trying it out in ToT this week on Jin and Horridon to see how it plays out.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's really hard to compare NV on paper with HotW because the value of NV can be boosted by trinket procs, eclipse, Owlkin Frenzy, Incarnation, etc. In terms of pure DPS, NV should be a little bit better on any fight where there isn't insane movement and you can get casts off for the entire duration. The better raid utility is definitely the hotw buffed Tranq though, and I do think the DPS is close enough where the better utility talent should win out. That being said, if there is a really tight enrage timer during heroics this week, I think it would be best to pick up NV.