Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    You think a fictional concept can't encourage real life racism?
    No.

I've been prejudiced towards a very particular type of black people ever since I was young. World of Warcraft has done nothing to intensify it or progress it into racism.

Quote Originally Posted by Warak View Post
    I have no problem with heterohobic gays, what right do i have to prohibit them anything ? They can hate me and think M+F is wrong, call me sick and so on. But i expect same treatment, if i think that M+M\F+F is wrong what right do they have to call me homophob ? Be gay, who cares ? Why they so consern about what other people think of them ? Be zoophile, necrophile....its u right.

But no, EVERY minority demands special treatment to themselfs, want to stand out from the crowd, why ? on what basis ? note that heterosexuals rarely\never parades propagating this lifestyle, we simply live.

Or white people rarely\never demand to forbid consider them racists based solely on skin color, btw why it is considerered normal to adress to any caucasian as White ? Its not racist ? South Park has a great episode on the subject.

Some minorities simply hypocrites...but i bet most live normal live and understand than it doesnt matter gay, white, black, man, woman and so on what matters is good people and bad, and both types are present in any group of people.

btw USA developers thinks it's ok to make Russians main villains in 90% of games, why u not protest against it ? No one even carres about it, exept few couple deprived of attention officials.
    That's called hypocrisy, my friend. And 90% of western population is full of it.

Nerevar, sometimes I think that the more a country screaming about freedom of speech and freedom of expression, the less of these same freedoms in this country.

Majority: People, we don't really care about your skin/race/orientation/religion etc, do w/e you like/prefer/want.
    Minority: Ignorant bastards, you don't care about us! We're gonna shove up our different preferences to your faces! We're gonna sue you!
    Last edited by Marahdeka; 2013-03-09 at 09:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

Wow encourages racism at its core. The very principle of the game is to have players hate on people on the opposing side of something just because they can.

You think a fictional concept can't encourage real life racism? If anything it makes it easier for people to be that way because the developers make it so, its like giving a alcoholic a barrel of beer, saying 'do what you like with it', and then turning away.
    Woah, woah, woah. That's... taking it a bit too far, isn't it?

I mean, every 'good guys against bad guys' story has some hate in it, but I wouldn't say that every story where wars happen between different races is encouraging racism. In fact, Warcraft has always been about joining the enemy to fight a bigger threat.

There are racist characters in Warcraft, most if not all considered wrong and dangerous. Garrosh is a huge example of how stupid someone can get when driven by hate and prejudices.

And your statement would also imply that WoW encourages killing people and many different kinds of animals, stealing, drinking, suicide and grave robbing, among many, many other things. If you honestly believe that, and are somehow influenced by games that much, you should look for help.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just because gay is synonymous with shitty doesn't make you a homophobe. I'm sure people are going to say it's not but they didn't grow up in the 90s.

Deleted
    This thread will end well. I'm fairly sure these types of threads are not allowed either.

Because next up posts like:
    1) Someone who will go "deserved justice, I dont want them to shove their beliefs to me!1"
    2) Someone who says they should be jailed, banned forever and forever shamed on some website
    3) Someone saying that "how do you know anything you havent even done heroic raids"
    4) Someone telling why do you play if you hate the game so much or to "grow thick skin and get over it, ugh".

Wow encourages racism at its core. The very principle of the game is to have players hate on people on the opposing side of something just because they can.
    Just because they can? I beg to differ, one faction (X) is turned to hate the opposite faction (Y) because Y has done horrible things to X. Not because they can. Alliance burned Taurajo, Horde will hate Alliance.
    Last edited by Marahdeka; 2013-03-09 at 10:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Hemet was behind Garrosh's escape and time travel just so he could hunt big game on old Draenor.

I left 10 level 80+ toons to roll on Proudmoore because of homophobia on my first server.

I hear WAY more gay jokes than racist jokes in this game. Hell, I hear more sexist jokes than racist jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    That's called hypocrisy, my friend. And 90% of western population is full of it.
    Why do people make sweeping generalizations like this? Oh yeah, hypocrisy is only wide spread in the West... Yeah that makes sense. It's not a common human trait found everywhere, and in large quantities, all over the world. Like that comment is just so unfounded and adds nothing to the conversation but being wrong. Or do you think hating the western world is the cool thing to do? Seriously, if you're going to speak like you know everything, then stop making snide comments that don't even make factual sense.

OT: No, I haven't seen racist or homophobic talk in WoW, and in games in general, go down. There's always trolls, people who think it's cool, and people who actually hate others. My guild, which is somewhat family oriented, still has people saying the most fucking awful hate-filled racist, sexist, and homophobic comments ever. And it's been every guild I've been in too; there's always at least one or two people who think it's ok to spout that shit at us.

10+ Year Old Account
    meh I feel like most of this is people just poking fun as a tension reliever, not really serious

Blatant racism is pretty rare, especially in wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    meh I feel like most of this is people just poking fun as a tension reliever, not really serious

Blatant racism is pretty rare, especially in wow
    Pretty much this.

People make racist/homophobic remarks in trade chat all the time, yes... but I don't think those people are actually "racists" or "homophobes" in real life; they're just using the internet anonymity to make remarks they'd never make in real life because they can.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

I have no problem with heterohobic gays, what right do i have to prohibit them anything ? They can hate me and think M+F is wrong, call me sick and so on. But i expect same treatment, if i think that M+M\F+F is wrong what right do they have to call me homophob ? Be gay, who cares ? Why they so consern about what other people think of them ? Be zoophile, necrophile....its u right.

But no, EVERY minority demands special treatment to themselfs, want to stand out from the crowd, why ? on what basis ? note that heterosexuals rarely\never parades propagating this lifestyle, we simply live.

Or white people rarely\never demand to forbid consider them racists based solely on skin color, btw why it is considerered normal to adress to any caucasian as White ? Its not racist ? South Park has a great episode on the subject.

btw USA developers thinks it's ok to make Russians main villains in 90% of games, why u not protest against it ? Its normal, not racist ? Political correct even it PC heaven aka USA ? No one even carres about it, exept few couple deprived of attention officials.

Some minorities simply hypocrites...but i bet most live normal live and understand than it doesnt matter gay, white, black, man, woman and so on what matters is good people and bad(mannered and rude), and both types are present in any group of people. educated person can convey his dislike for any group, even without direct insults.
    Nobody is demanding special treatment unless special treatment is being treated like a white straight male.

And no those games aren't right, they're riddled with jingoism and xenophobia.

Also, lol at all the people in this thread saying it's ok because they're not being serious/they're joking. Ironic racism is still racism you idiots.

Infracted. "You Idiots" is not appropriate
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-03-09 at 11:48 PM.

Both are still really bad in game and on the internet at large. Glad the OP's experiences have been more positive, but there's a reason I avoid Trade and General.

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

here's 5.2 patch day this week when only one server was up

http://i.imgur.com/CXaYutK.jpg

btw USA developers thinks it's ok to make Russians main villains in 90% of games, why u not protest against it ? Its normal, not racist ? Political correct even it PC heaven aka USA ? No one even carres about it, exept few couple deprived of attention officials.

Some minorities simply hypocrites...but i bet most live normal live and understand than it doesnt matter gay, white, black, man, woman and so on what matters is good people and bad(mannered and rude), and both types are present in any group of people. educated person can convey his dislike for any group, even without direct insults.
    Wow... just... wow... I don't even know where to start with all that is wrong with this post. Are you serious or being ironic or something and I'm missing the joke?

"There is a thin, semantic line separating weird and beautiful. And that line is covered in jellyfish." - Welcome to Night Vale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Also, lol at all the people in this thread saying it's ok because they're not being serious/they're joking. Ironic racism is still racism you idiots.
    The comments they make may be racist, or homophobic, but does that make the people racist, or homophobic, if they don't actually treat people of a different ethnicity/sexual persuasion differently in practice?
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Boblet View Post
    Nobody is demanding special treatment unless special treatment is being treated like a white straight male.

And no those games aren't right, they're riddled with jingoism and xenophobia.

Also, this.

I've been with my other half for 11 years. We do not have the same rights as straight couples. I've even been barred from being told what was going on or being able to see her in the hospital when she was in the ICU because I was "just a friend." I don't think having the right to share my life with the person I love and means more to me than anyone else in the world without having to jump through all kinds of crazy legal hoops is "special". Just basic human rights many straight people tend to take for granted.

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    The comments they make may be racist, or homophobic, but does that make the people racist, or homophobic, if they don't actually treat people of a different ethnicity/sexual persuasion differently in practice?
    It makes them people contributing to bigotry at large, yes. It has an impact on our society and culture. Enabling bigotry while being nice to someone's face is not an "acceptable form" of bigotry.
    Last edited by Roulette Kneebasha; 2013-03-09 at 10:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roulette Kneebasha View Post
    It makes them people contributing to bigotry at large, yes. Enabling bigotry while being nice to someone's face is not an "acceptable form" of bigotry.
    If people start basing their world view on what they hear in World of Warcraft trade chat jokes, profane language will be the least of our problems.
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

1. Gay synonymous with the word shitty? I'm a 90's kid and I've never heard that one. I think other minorities have "synonymous" names with other negative things too, but I personally don't use them to describe people. I think other people who do have low self esteem and need to find ways to be "better" than other people.

2. Russians aren't a race.

3. If I ask any gay person I've ever met they simply demand equal treatment. No more and no less.

4. Who care if gays can have a pride parade. When you are gay you spend a huge bulk of your life afraid everyone will reject you and being told you should be ashamed. I think a pride parade isn't harmful at all for the community. It might actually help some people. The reason why heterosexual people don't have a pride parade is because they have never went through the same hardships. That and they are invited to gay ones because they really celebrate being proud of who you are regardless of yours sexual orientation and that includes heterosexual people.
    "Punching things is cool and stuff. Pow bam bam bam Pow. O yah... God I'm eloquent." -Dalai Lama