Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10 of the last great wilderness areas

For those of us who love the wild. #7 is pretty much my "backyard", the westcoast during summer is quite nice. Out of these I would love to go to Scotland first and foremost, the highlands just looks awesome. I don't think the US is included btw, areas like Yellowstone in Wyoming is certainly a place I would love to go to one day. Keep in mind these are just some of the areas in the world, there are a lot of lovely places still about, this list doesn't mean they are the best, it just mean they are great in their own way.

1. Tarkine Rainforest, Tasmania

A rarely visited, ancient and pristine forest wilderness, the Tarkine calls to mind myth and legend.

It's in the northwest corner of Tasmania and is often referred to as the "forgotten wilderness."

It's not entirely that. It's a wonderland of wild rivers, secret waterfalls, giant tree ferns, rare birds and the near-extinct Tasmanian devil (the world's largest carnivorous marsupial). Hikers who make it here leave enchanted.

2. Knoydart Peninsula, Scotland

Rugged, isolated and beautiful Knoydart Peninsula is often described as Scotland's last wilderness. Tucked in the Highlands, it's accessible only by boat or on foot.

There are exhilarating mountain passes to cross and sandy inlets to explore.

Whether they have soaked in epic sunsets or caught glimpses of the whales, dolphins and porpoises that live in its waters, visitors usually leave feeling spiritually restored.

3. Salar de Uyuni, Bolivia

The stunning, lunar-like salt flats in the southwest of Bolivia are the largest in the world, covering 3,860 square miles.

June and July are arguably the best months, when the whole area appears blindingly white. After the rains, the salt "desert" resembles a giant mirror. It is beautifully barren and straight out of sci-fi central casting. You would be hard-pressed to find a more meditative escape.

At more than 11,400 feet above sea level, you'll need to be able to handle high altitudes.

4. Sossusvlei, Namibia

Few sights are as nourishing as the apricot-colored dunes at Sossusvlei, in the southern part of the Namib desert.

So much of Namibia is a natural paradise seemingly drawn by eco-genies. Highlights include the white salt pans of Etosha National Park, the stark beaches of Skeleton Coast, the remote, little-visited wilderness of Kaokoland in the northwest and the lush Kunene River.

5. Great Bear Rainforest, British Columbia, Canada

Never heard of it? All the more reason to visit.

The Great Bear might fly under the radar, but this is one of the largest remaining tracks of temperate rainforest left in the world.

Stretching along British Columbia's island-dotted coastline, its marvels include ancient red cedar cathedrals (some of the trees are more than a thousand years old) and other towering trees, glacier-fed fjords and wooded islands.

Estuaries and rocky beaches are "guarded" by brown and black bears, gray wolves and cougars.

Eagles soar overhead and humpback whales put in an appearance in summer, joining orcas, dolphins and seabirds.

6. Kakadu National Park, Northern Territories, Australia

The untamed Outback, wild and beautiful, is arguably nowhere more picturesque than in Kakadu, the largest national park in Australia.

The park's aboriginal owners have spent centuries amid its rock art, wetlands, gorges and stunning escarpment scenery.

7. The Bohuslän coast, West Sweden

If you've ever fantasized about gliding silently through the water on a kayak, camping on deserted beaches, enjoying the midnight sun, spotting seals and soaking up the spirit of the sea, you'll find no shortage of experiences here.

This sublime stretch of coastline extends to the border with Norway and is dotted with an archipelago of some 8,000 islands and islets.

8. Dana Biosphere Reserve, Jordan

The largest nature reserve in Jordan is a protected region about 120 miles to the south of Amman. It's an Aladdin's trove of hills, canyons, gorges and deserts, wildlife (including the rarely spotted Nubian Ibex) and plant species.

It's perfect for hikers, nature lovers and those seeking a slice of serenity.

9. The Isles of Scilly, United Kingdom

For wannabe castaways, little compares with what's probably the most beautiful spot in the UK, a tranquil sun and windswept archipelago 28 miles off the Cornish coast.

Bryher Island, with a population of around 80 (all trusting locals who leave their doors unlocked) offers coastal walks, sandy coves, wildflower-strewn bays and rocky outcrops for a wind lashing by Atlantic breakers.

Further away from it all still is the uninhabited Samson Island, an easy boat ride away.

10. Uttarakhand, Himalayas, India

Uttarakhand state forms a part of the Himalayas, but one that's often overlooked by tourists.

Yet two of India's greatest rivers, the Ganges and the Yamuna originate in the glaciers here.

Glittering peaks and vivid landscapes create an environment that can calm the most unsettled of hearts.

The region is home to some of the holiest of Hindu shrines, rare species of plants and animals and the quixotically named Valley of Flowers National Park.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

One of the reasons I love being Canadian. The great outdoors

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 10:13 PM ----------

question about #3. Are those natural formations? That's so weird looking.

Quote Originally Posted by My Body is Ready View Post
    One of the reasons I love being Canadian. The great outdoors

---------- Post added 2013-03-09 at 10:13 PM ----------

I think it is, I think it's kind of like salt pillars, will have to google it to be sure though!
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I surprised the BWCA wasn't on that list.

Wilderness is stupid. Let's rank something like best sports/fitness gym/club or somewhere you don't have to breath fresh non-air conditioned air.

Although I'm not gonna lie. #9 on the list looks fucking tight.

Quote Originally Posted by My Body is Ready View Post
    The Salt Flats of Bolivia are extremely flat (experience: been there), so I would have to say that these are piles that are ready to be picked up and sold.

Quote Originally Posted by proteen View Post
    The Salt Flats of Bolivia are extremely flat (experience: been there), so I would have to say that these are piles that are ready to be picked up and sold.
    Good to know, so they are sort of in there "exploiting" it(for lack of better words)?
    I'm sure one could make good use of it without ruining the area of course.

How about Greenland.

Deleted
    The Isles of Scilly really are worth a visit, been camping there a few times.

The sea in that picture is far far colder than it looks though heh

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaino View Post
    The Isles of Scilly really are worth a visit, been camping there a few times.

The sea in that picture is far far colder than it looks though heh
    Is it that clear though? Not actually been, even though it's so close.

Damn, I wish I'll someday be able to take 1 or 2 years off, take my gf or my best friends with me and do a world trip in a van and see some of those places and some others. I'd love to go to Canada, Australia, NZ, USA, Africa, Brazil etc. and just travel around

I quess I should already start saving money though lol...but hopefully someday :]

I had always thought all Tasmanian devils had gone extinct. Learn a good bit from researching some of these places tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Is it that clear though? Not actually been, even though it's so close.
    Yeah, on a sunny day you could almost believe that you were on a tropical island. The beaches on St.Martins and Tresco have white sands and turquoise seas

10+ Year Old Account
    Try to look up the Azores.

Apparently whoever made this list has never been to the United States...

15+ Year Old Account
    I would not the wilderness in my state is great but it is very underestimated. It is sad it is slowly disappearing:/.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    No mention of the South Island Of New Zealand the whole island is wilderness.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Deleted
    And about 95% of Russia.

10+ Year Old Account
    im surprised that north america isnt on there. some of canada's forests are real beautiful.
    edit:forgot where bolivia was apparently that makes me a bad person.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-03-10 at 04:31 PM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    im surprised that south america isnt on there.
    Bolivia... look at a globe sometime