Thread: Invent a race

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Invent a race

Ok so we always see threads every couple of days or so asking what races people want added etc etc. I thought it might be interesting though to find out what direction some people might go for if they could invent/make up an entirely new race that has not been seen by Warcraft before. What faction would you put them with? What classes would you allow them? Where do they come from? What's the story behind their people?
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Uummm...

Mykost. Race of mushroom-like treants, native to one of Azeroth's moon. Dunno how'd they get to Azeroth, maybe Algalon's hanging up there in his observatory and opens a portal for them.

I'd like some kind of plant/treefolk race.

I would like an avian race but not like the arrakoa the best way I would describe it would be like Falco from star fox with his wings as his arms. I guess they could be alliance cause that is what I play.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher069 View Post
    I would like an avian race but not like the arrakoa the best way I would describe it would be like Falco from star fox with his wings as his arms. I guess they could be alliance cause that is what I play.
    Would they be undisputed jerks like Falco as well though, is the question? http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com...ons-episode-1/

I played an RPG a long time ago called Exile wherein you fought evil unicorns. For some reason, I thought that was an awesome idea; what if unicorns weren't the cute and noble creatures everyone makes them out to be, but in fact, snarling, rapacious beasts?

Imagine staring one of these things down in-game:

10+ Year Old Account
    Groth -A race of husky, shaggy wild boar men. They sort of look like a resemblance between a Charr from Guild Wars 2 and a Quillboar. They have a Canadian mountain man feel to them, and are extremely aggressive, rude and unhygienic.

I always liked the idea of a Naga sub-race based upon Night Elven slaves of the Highborne that were transformed into Naga, but not completely. They are humanoid in appearance (so minus the tail and extra arms) but have the skin and features of the Naga... If the Naga ever become central in an expansion, this sub-race of the Naga could rebel and aid both sides.

Bloodsail Admiral Colonel Sandor's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Lion men

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioichi View Post
    Lion men
    A million times yes. Someday, someday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unicorns would be best.

Last edited by Nighthawk1027; 2013-03-10 at 04:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iusaset View Post
    I always liked the idea of a Naga sub-race based upon Night Elven slaves of the Highborne that were transformed into Naga, but not completely. They are humanoid in appearance (so minus the tail and extra arms) but have the skin and features of the Naga... If the Naga ever become central in an expansion, this sub-race of the Naga could rebel and aid both sides.
    So, Saurok?
    OT: Seems like the only races we can think of are races based on animals or plants >_< That being said Rhinos!
    Last edited by punksandskins; 2013-03-10 at 04:36 AM.

I'm thinking it could either be a rodent or an aquatic (some evolved mysterious murloc race or the fish people of pandaria who knows?) but I would put my bet on a Tiger being a future race for sure.
    I would love to see some Harpy like race, Lizard men done right or just introduce race variations for the existing races.

I think we might get something related to an expansion with the burning legion in which i foresee either we have to ally with ethereals or there are remnants of some ancient race in a distant world far from Azeroth.
    Last edited by Nialyah; 2013-03-10 at 05:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would mix in all the races into some misbegotten freak of a creature. The race would call themselves the Multiculturalists or rather:
    the tauren-undead-man-bear-pig-gnome-dwarf-elf-troll-dragon-horse-orc... ect ect race.
    Naturally with all those traits they could be any class and do any job.
    The race was created as a result of an old professor putricide experiment that went terribly wrong.
    After putricide's demise the experiment became neglected and forgotten, It was only just recently that Bolvar found the creature.
    He pitied the ugly thing and let it go, little did he know that the creature could reproduce on its own.

And because of that this race also has the ability to clone themselves; creates 4 clones of themselves on a 3min cd, but because of inevitable arguments amongst the clones they leave 1by1 every 20s.

The race would pester northrend, moving like locust; feasting on tanuka, vrukul and those funny bever looking things as they went along. Until one day they came upon the banished Garrosh Saurfang, he would unite the clone-freaks and lead them to the promised land; pandaria.

I made up a race called the Kattani, after having seen that lion man picture. They were Horde, found on a chunk of Outlands that hadn't yet been discovered.

I had also thought of a NPC race called the Rhinahri (rhinos)
    Last edited by Kayb; 2013-03-10 at 05:18 AM.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

Quote Originally Posted by punksandskins View Post
    So, Saurok?
    OT: Seems like the only races we can think of are races based on animals or plants >_< That being said Rhinos!

10+ Year Old Account
    I would approve of lion men with the Magic the Gathering race as a style choice.

I can't "invent" a race, because everything's been done, BUT, I would LOVE these for the next patch.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    I can't "invent" a race, because everything's been done, BUT, I would LOVE these for the next patch.
    Where are people getting these crazy amazing animal races? Is that Magic the Gathering? Yes to all of them, I want my guild to be a zoo

Saiyans, nameks, frieza's race, a few subordinate frieza races, and ... some kais....

Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Where are people getting these crazy amazing animal races? Is that Magic the Gathering? Yes to all of them, I want my guild to be a zoo
    Yea, it's called a loxodon.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Yeah making a race without basing it on a plant or an animal is definitely a challenge. Before anyone gets into creating new ones, we first desperately need a reptillian race (Maybe saurok/naga or a new one, perhaps crocodillian...), and a plant based one (Fungaloids from zangarmarsh perhaps, but I would like to see a more humanoid plant like race, one with different shades of bark for skin and different color/shape leaves for hair). Besides that I'd say probably an avian race, but then people would want racial flying which is probably a horrible idea. I'm not sure. We already have our magically-inclined races, our big and bulky ones, and the slender stealthy ones. I don't know what niche could be filled with a newly invented race... But it's also possible that I'm too tired and it's too late for me to be creative. Who knows.