Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantricular View Post
    excellent. odd follow up question, I apologize, buthave you ever met someone in which this happened with you or them and your or their sexual preference changed? in either direction. anonyms surveying for Psych
    Are you sure you know what we're talking about here?
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

I'm an extreme introvert.

Extrovert: Outgoing. Can easily chalk up conversations with complete strangers. Has a large social network.

Introvert: Shy, and quiet. Others see them as weird because they tend to hide in a corner of the room, and keep to themselves. Prefers to stay at home and do whatever rather than go to a party or other similar event where there's a bunch of strangers. Usually only has a few really close friends.
    Last edited by muto; 2013-03-10 at 06:38 AM.

Deleted
    Do the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test it's a bit more deep then just introvert / extrovert. According to it I am INTJ (introversion, intuition, thinking, judgment).

meh, i have no problem going to new places and meeting new people and having new experiences. I'm just too lazy to do so. I let things come to me, if I'm given the opportunity i will jump on it, but usually don't seek it. what does that make me?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    meh, i have no problem going to new places and meeting new people and having new experiences. I'm just too lazy to do so. I let things come to me, if I'm given the opportunity i will jump on it, but usually don't seek it. what does that make me?
    An extrovert seeks social situations. If you don't, and are perfectly okay without social interaction, I'd consider you a border introvert.

Extroverted people draw their energy from being with other people. Introverted people draw their energy from being alone.

To an introverted person, an extroverted person is clingy and needy.

To an extroverted person, an introverted person is like a grumpy old man telling them to stay off their lawn.

Extroverts can be mistaken for trolls by introverts on internet forums. They just have such a different world view. Introverts find that clingy, needy nature to be annoying and they think they must be trolling them sometimes.

You can be introverted and OUTGOING. That just means you have few friends, but like going out just with them to a more private function. You can also be extroverted and not outgoing, which just means you don't like to go out but you like people.

The overwhelming majority of internet forum posters are introverted. It seems to be an introverted activity. You'll find a lot of grumpy people on forums for this reason. Myself, on a scale of 1-100 with 1 being completely introverted and 100 being completely extroverted, I grade out as a 100. I'm very extroverted.

My personality type is ENFP. And since I'm a 100 on the extroverted scale, its like the whole world is full of introverts compared to me hahah.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-03-10 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by naturestorm View Post
    Do the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator test it's a bit more deep then just introvert / extrovert. According to it I am INTJ (introversion, intuition, thinking, judgment).
    Also it should give you a percentage. For example I think I was 80-90% introverted so pretty heavy but my brother was 51% extrovert so I imagine he is just on the border being ever so slightly extroverted.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    Also it should give you a percentage. For example I think I was 80-90% introverted so pretty heavy but my brother was 51% extrovert so I imagine he is just on the border being ever so slightly extroverted.
    Indeed. But when it comes to that introvert vs. extrovert it's not that hard for anyone to guess it. If you need your alone time to recharge after a week/day then you are an introvert, but if you would go out/socialize in person to recharge then you are an extrovert.

Indeed. But when it comes to that introvert vs. extrovert it's not that hard for anyone to guess it. If you need your alone time to recharge after a week/day then you are an introvert, but if you would go out/socialize in person to recharge then you are an extrovert.
    I'm not really sure. My brother is pretty borderline he enjoys going out and partying (stuff I hate doing) but he also enjoys things like sitting alone drawing (stuff I love doing) I think most people who knew him would struggle to call it either way, I know I certainly did before he took the test.

Deleted
    Introverted people:
    -they get energy from being alone or doing stuff on their own or with little groups of people they know well
    -they like solitary activities, like reading books, playing single player computer games etc.
    -being in large crowds or in groups of people they don't know so well drains them of energy really bad, and some even get cranky if they sit too much in there
    -they prefer doing stuff with people they know first, rather then always meeting new people
    -they may appear shy, but they're not, they just don't like talking so much with people they don't know, they aren't really the types to start conversations with groups of people they don't know on their own unless they're forced
    -in general you'll find more of them on forums like these simply because this way they can talk without being drained of energy by the large crowds like in real life (this is true for me for example)

Extroverted people:
    -they get energy from meeting people and doing stuff with larger groups
    -they like group activities, like going out to movies with a few people or going to a bar or something
    -they like being in larger crowds and meeting new people all the time, they feel bad being alone

In general every person is a mash of the two, but one is more stronger. For example I'm introverted. And I like little groups with people I know. I do get cranky in large crowds and start to feel bad and feel charged when alone or with only a few people I know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by caractacus View Post
    I'm not really sure. My brother is pretty borderline he enjoys going out and partying (stuff I hate doing) but he also enjoys things like sitting alone drawing (stuff I love doing) I think most people who knew him would struggle to call it either way, I know I certainly did before he took the test.
    People at 51% can go either way. But introverts do go out and do stuff, it's just that at the end of the day or the week they need alone time to recharge.

Deleted
    It's possible to be both.

But the problem with this kind of thing on a gaming forum is that a lot of people are "introverted" because of their addiction to gaming, my friend (the guy that introduced me to WoW) was incredibly outgoing and now conversation with him is like talking to a zombie.

Definite introvert. I have no problems talking to people when I need to, and often get pushed into leadership roles, but it drains me and I prefer nothing more than to not be around others most of the day.

@above I was an introvert as long as I can remember before I ever touched a games console.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    It's possible to be both.

But the problem with this kind of thing on a gaming forum is that a lot of people are "introverted" because of their addiction to gaming, my friend (the guy that introduced me to WoW) was incredibly outgoing and now conversation with him is like talking to a zombie.
    I think most psychologists would argue with that. People are inherently one of the other. He may have been more outgoing before but he might not have been being himself. Have you ever thought that the reason having a conversation with him is like talking to a zombie is because he is uninterested in the things you are talking about?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    This more or less sums it up, but the underlined part really hits home. People usually assume that just because someone's relatively quiet, they must be shy. Shy indicates that they'd like to be more social but are afraid for whatever reason, and that isn't true for a true introvert like myself. I've encountered this misconception many times, and it's amusing to see reactions when people realize I'm quiet because I'm simply not interested.
    This basically sums up my life xD

I'm an introvert myself, and when I hang out with my friends I barely ever really talk unless spoken to. My friends keep telling me I should talk more, but I've got nothing to talk about. It also doesn't help when they're on their stupid smartpohnes 24/7

I like going to parties. But i also like going home and relaxing. If i party friday i probably end up with a saturday where i dont really do anything nor have a desire to be around people. Also known as the hangover.

I'm both, I like being alone reading, listening to music or playing games. I also like being around people and conversing, I also love large crowds like when I go to concerts. If I had to choose I would say I am a little more introvert since my favorite thing to do is listen to music. I also can't stand to workout with other people (they ruin my groove) but I would say it is a very close call.
    Last edited by worprz; 2013-03-10 at 03:44 PM.

I would also look into Eysenck and Cattell's trait theory of personality, which suggested a five factor model, OCEAN (Openness to experience, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism) all of which had sliding scales where people weren't just lumped into either/or.

Looking at this model, we would see a lot of discussion in this thread about people who were stronger towards introversion also being lumped with higher on neuroticism and lower on openness to experience, which doesn't necessarily represent all introverts.

Deleted
    I don't think I'm either of the extremes, I'm quite balanced. Friends that mostly see me in the weekend always get a shock that I'm so quiet during the week.
    It's almost as if I'm introverted during the week and extraverted in the weekend. But that can't be possible, so I'm probably somewhere in the middle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vantricular View Post
    I'm an avid believer in the two types of personalities, in terms of either INTROVERTED or EXTROVERTED.

what personality traits do you generally attribute to the aforementioned? describe each individually, of course ^-^

Your thought could even be the most generic of terms, anything that comes to mind please.

thanks!
    I like to think I am introverted, but lately I find myself wanting to be around people and out doing stuff and staying the hell away from home lol. I would say im 70% extroverted and 30% introverted.
    Call me House.