Poll: Would you support a paid 300% XP boost option? (for alts)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    I would rather pay to be max level.

Quote Originally Posted by Redmage
    I don't like it. Paying to cheese ingame mechanics is just wrong on the face of it, I don't care what sort of impact it has on me personally its the principle of the thing.

Also it will just encourage fotm re-rolls, a behavior we should discourage not make easier.
    Heaven forbid someone cheese their way past endlessly killing boars, picking up poop and running back and forth between npcs. Also its already easy enough to level a new character in a couple days so your fotm rerolling is a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by jesse99901
    They already make it so easy for people to join through RaF or what have you and get to level 90 in a few days... But I honestly just wish they didn't do any xp boosts! Let the players quest and enjoy the game the way it was built to be at first. I can't tell you how many noob level 90 players have asked in trade or guild chat the most simple questions like how to q for a bg or turn down the volume. They just simply don't have the experience because they just started playing and are far from being able to learn and get down hard raid boss mechanics. Just my two cents-
    Those people aren't noobs, they're just stupid. It doesn't take any experience playing a character or the game in general to be able to figure out how to adjust your volume. I can see not knowing the keybind for a particular feature, that is definitely something you come to learn with time. Also saying people should enjoy the game the way it was built isn't taking everyone into account, what about people who don't enjoy leveling? Those people who are only here for the max level experience. Almost everything while leveling is a complete joke, you faceroll instances because of players over leveling them, BGs are a complete mess because the game isn't balanced in the slightest at the lower levels, and there aren't many mechanics in fights.

EDIT : If it wasn't already clear, yes I fully support any means of allowing faster leveling. While I would agree that doing so by adding more Heirlooms and increasing the exp of the older ones via a trade in to upgrade is a better option, I would just as quickly accept a "small to moderate" monetary route.
    Last edited by Najja; 2013-03-11 at 03:07 PM.

yes, only if they implement some sort of restriction saying you must have X number of max lvl characters to turn it on. X being 2-3 imo

No, because that would be opening the door to more py-to-win services.

I don't really mind paying for a boost to XP. But they would not stop there, you can be sure of it. Next would be real money curency in-game, then pay to get purple raid gear and, finally, pay for purple gearthat you can't get anywhere else.

A lot of games have this. Leave WoW out of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pay to win is what kills games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? You get HUUUGE increases via heirlooms and Guild Perks. Why bother with a poll to get them to have you pay for what you get for free? Hell, I never see anyone use Guild Standards but those also increase your XP and Honor gains pretty substantially.

I guess it comes down to this; Back in Classic, I spent as much time getting from 59 to 60 as I did getting from 85-90. Thats how crappy the leveling experience was back then; Wintersaber Grinding was the most effective way to go about it.

Now? Leveling is nothing, I constantly meet people that leveled and have no idea about the various mechanics of their class. This isn't because the game doesn't explain things well (although it could do a better job of that), it's because by the time you get around to monkeying with a new ability you learned from a level, your 5 levels higher than you were before.

And don't go off on "waw, I am an expert at every class .... Times Infinity.", your not. I've been a Hunter since the game came out and I still find unique ways to approach problems in game, with that Character. Same with all my characters.

I mean, I guess I could see doing away with leveling as a whole, if you were stuck in a solo world and couldn't leave until you had completed a set amount of tasks ranging from easy to extremely difficult. That would be one solution. Then you would be placed in a second phase with other people where you would have to group with them to succeed, and so on and so on.

Or you could just level, and ignore everyone and your own class - it takes about 5-6 days worth of slow-and-steady work. I mean, choose your play preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

10+ Year Old Account
    This already exists. It's called recruit-a-friend, for like 100 bucks you get 3 months of 300%.

Quote Originally Posted by Madruga View Post
    No, because that would be opening the door to more py-to-win services.

I don't really mind paying for a boost to XP. But they would not stop there, you can be sure of it. Next would be real money curency in-game, then pay to get purple raid gear and, finally, pay for purple gearthat you can't get anywhere else.

A lot of games have this. Leave WoW out of it.
    Slippery Slope fallacy. You don't seriously think they would start handing out epic loot for cash just because they let people pay to level faster do you? Seriously?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiteh View Post
    In other games such as LoL the option is available .
    What is LoL? It's a free to play game. What is WoW? It's a buyable game with subscription on top of that that offers cosmetic items for money too.
    Adding something like this would be too much, so no.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    Why? You get HUUUGE increases via heirlooms and Guild Perks. Why bother with a poll to get them to have you pay for what you get for free? Hell, I never see anyone use Guild Standards but those also increase your XP and Honor gains pretty substantially.

I guess it comes down to this; Back in Classic, I spent as much time getting from 59 to 60 as I did getting from 85-90. Thats how crappy the leveling experience was back then; Wintersaber Grinding was the most effective way to go about it.

This was exactly the point of my post two pages ago in a round-about fashion.
    Link to full post if you want the full version....
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20479354

Back then it was crazy grindy. The majority of the player base didn't like it that grindy and blizzard addressed the issue by reducing the leveling time it takes across the board. (yes there are some "die hard" "zomg you noobs Vanilla was best, but the majority of people prefer the current levelling experience)
    Imagine then, that the next expansion's levelling experience was super-long and grindy. Instead of listening to the players wishes (on a large scale, not just a few forum qqers) and designing around the desire for a more reasonable levelling experience, imagine that blizzard says "go pay for XP boost @10 bucks. Instead of fixing it, they would just have us throw MORE money at them. Then their profits go up, and their shareholders expect that type of revenue from then on. So they keep adding more and more things for real money that should be included. Etc etc etc until the game goes down in flames, the world blows up, and the universe implodes. (Exaggeration of course but you understand my point)

As many have mentioned, it starts the long, slow, slide into a crappy pay to win setup that all the free2play games have, one step at a time.
    Lets just cut that issue off at the head right here and now, and instead introduce ways that accomplish our goal of a faster ALT levelling experience without degrading the game. (Like one idea I said before was XP boost for alts AFTER you have one character at cap, purchasable via a commendation so if you were levelling with a friend lets say, you wouldn't out-level him if you chose not to partake in the boost.)
    Last edited by S31Ender; 2013-03-12 at 02:05 AM.

No, of course I wouldn't support this. WoW is a subscription-based game; if I had to pay for services such as this, I'd go to DDO or something. At least they're honest about it.
    I do not want a cash shop in WoW. Sadly, there's already one for pets and mounts, but that's already taking it too far if you ask me. I pay a subscription, and therefore, I should be able to get anything the game has to offer by playing it. Either have a cash shop, or a subscription. I really do not want both.

Quote Originally Posted by S31Ender View Post
    As many have mentioned, it starts the long, slow, slide into a crappy pay to win setup that all the free2play games have, one step at a time.
    *cough* Slippery slope fallacy. *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I pay a subscription, and therefore, I should be able to get anything the game has to offer by playing it. Either have a cash shop, or a subscription.
    You're missing out on leveling because you can't access a +300% experience bonus? What?

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    You're missing out on leveling because you can't access a +300% experience bonus? What?
    No, but someone else can have an advantage over me by simply paying Blizzard more money. Which is simply unfair. It's really that simple.

Here's a thought:
    Let's say Warriors dealt top DPS everywhere. Let's say you are not a Warrior.
    Let's say Blizzard doesn't nerf warriors' DPS because they feel it's working as intended. Do you feel that's fair? After all: You're not getting nerfed, are you? The fact that warriors deal much more damage than you do doesn't impact you, right?

Basically: If you're handing out advantages, game-play or quality-of-life improvements in a subscription based environment, then every single member should profit from it. If this isn't the case, and only those who pay more money profit from it, then membership itself is no longer valid. It becomes a void, hollow and empty thing.

So yes, I'd be missing out on levelling unless I'd pay extra money. And I refuse to because I have a subscription that should grant me equal access to everything everyone else gets. Now; I could easily afford the experience boost... But it's a matter of principle. I'm not above paying for extras... If I play a free-to-play game, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    No, but someone else can have an advantage over me by simply paying Blizzard more money. Which is simply unfair. It's really that simple.
    I would agree with you if they were gating skills, content, or something that you couldn't access otherwise. You're missing out on time, however, something that doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, matter.

Here's a thought:
    Let's say Warriors dealt top DPS everywhere. Let's say you are not a Warrior.
    Let's say Blizzard doesn't nerf warriors' DPS because they feel it's working as intended. Do you feel that's fair? After all: You're not getting nerfed, are you? The fact that warriors deal much more damage than you do doesn't impact you, right?
    We're not talking about gaining +300% dps, we're talking time. These two things aren't comparable.

Basically: If you're handing out advantages, game-play or quality-of-life improvements in a subscription based environment, then every single member should profit from it. If this isn't the case, and only those who pay more money profit from it, then membership itself is no longer valid. It becomes a void, hollow and empty thing.
    The "advantage" is time. Nothing more, nothing less. If we're talking epics or something to that effect, I'd be up in arms. But we're not.

So yes, I'd be missing out on levelling unless I'd pay extra money. And I refuse to because I have a subscription that should grant me equal access to everything everyone else gets. Now; I could easily afford the experience boost... But it's a matter of principle. I'm not above paying for extras... If I play a free-to-play game, that is.
    That's your prerogative. I wouldn't pay for such a service either, but just because I don't value the theoretical exchange of X money for +300% experience gained for Y days as "worth it" doesn't mean that others shouldn't have the option.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I would agree with you if they were gating skills, content, or something that you couldn't access otherwise. You're missing out on time, however, something that doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, matter.
    The "advantage" is time. Nothing more, nothing less. If we're talking epics or something to that effect, I'd be up in arms. But we're not.
    Time, to me, is a rather huge advantage. I've come to the point where I'm not interested in levelling AND dailies any longer... I really feel that levelling has become pretty much obsolete; it honestly simply takes too long for what it's worth. Levelling speed increase is worth quite a lot to me because of it.
    I like diversity. Can't make myself to play the same character for all eternity. So I'm an altoholic. But I don't like spending too much time doing content that's really not worth anything, not interesting, not challenging, and simply not worth it.

So to me, an XP-boost is a pretty big thing.

Aside from it being a pretty big thing, there's the matter of principle. If they were selling 'superduperflightspeed' for X amounts of days, I'd be up in arms as well. Sure; it's only flight speed... So the advantage would only be 'time.' But it's still a perk that only those with enough money can really afford getting.

Anything that creates such an artificial divide between players based on income is simply not something I want to see in a subscription-based game. No matter how small the perk is.
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-03-12 at 04:22 AM.

I've got everything at 85 or higher so I wouldn't pay for it myself, but I've nothing against people who would pay for it, if they wanna waste their money on that then good for them.