Thread: Ban DPS Metres

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Orangetai420's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The gear is important but so is your rotation and priority. Play your class correctly and you won't run into this problem.
    MMO-C, home of the worst community on the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppy View Post
    Yes I have one. And while you dinged 90, OP was almost 90, aka 88-89. Not 90.
    And seriously if you can pull 20k, does it really matter if someone does 15k. 5k difference man, you're YOLOing here for real.
    an 88 would do more damage than a 90 in the same gear.

Even in full greens, you can do good dmg, like 50k on a boss or so (with the 15% dmg buff from 5mans). I'm guessing you were doing 20 or 30k, which makes the whole run much slower for those were you with. That's why they kicked you.

These days, people are pressed for time greatly, so they want their dungeons to be fast. They don't want to carry someone who is most autoattacking, or partly afk etc.

There's no reason you can't go into your first heroic and do 30-35k with a 15% damage buff. Even if you buy all the 408 green gear from the vendor you should be close to 35k, and any quest gear should put you well above it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The problem isn't the DPS meters, the problem is assholes.
    Yep, people are very quick to look at a number and judge you, they won't take into account your gear, spec, or hell, even the fact that you might just be a new player and still mastering your class, they don't care about that, if you aren't hitting the number they think you should be, then you automatically suck, all other factors are ignored.

And that's their problem, yes you are going to come into situations where you will be kicked, or ridiculed for it, but you know you are doing the best you can with what you have, just ignore them, unless they have something useful, there's no harm in listening to someone criticize you if they actually have useful advice for you.

In the end, removing dps meters would not solve the issue, the assholes would still be there and they would find alternate means to be assholes, like assholes always do.

Carry on as you are, and try to surround yourself more often with people you like/trust.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by Crushima View Post
    Even in full greens, you can do good dmg, like 50k on a boss or so (with the 15% dmg buff from 5mans).
    50k in greens as a fresh 90?
    yeah don't think that's possible outside of maybe blowing all CDs for 15s

due to how the scaling works your mastery/crit/hit/haste/etc all plummet when you hit 90 while you still in quest gear with possible 87 trinkets and other low level quest gear you can barely reforge to meet the dungeon hit and exp cap, much less go into offensive secondary stats, plus complete lack of gem slots on that gear and no one going to enchant questing greens means 20-25k is the max of what you should expect from a fresh 90 in your group, with buff*

*that seems to be gone now, or is this just on eu realms?
    Last edited by Enosh; 2013-03-10 at 05:50 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    depends on how much lower your dps was, and if it would be possible that u could've done more dps the gear you had and the grp maby thought "if he dosent even try to play at his best then why should we boost him?"

Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    When I hit 90 the DPS calculator showed my optimal DPS at 25K, and I could easily do 23-24K on the dummies.
    Yet people would rage-quit from scenarioes (which are made for fresh 90's for gods sake) because I wasn't doing 50K or more.
    You shouldn't be rolling into Heroics and Scenarios doing 25K DPS. You obviously gamed the item level requirement. Such kicks are well deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I was talking about MMOs, but ok, in the MMOs I've played that hasn't happened to me. But if you're saying, you wipe and you have no idea why, then that doesn't sound like a DPS issue. You have DPS issues when everything is going fine and then the time runs out and everything explodes. Usually that should happen when enrages are involved and when the boss is almost dead.
    Eh? No. High dps makes everything easier in almost every circumstance. There does not have to be any sort of enrage for dps to be relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like to see 50k dps from a fresh green DD. When i dinged 90 on my enh shammy, i did 30k DPS (45k burst!) with blue 450 weapons, on a fire mage it was much worse (20-50k depends on luck) and warrior never dropped below 40k (bladestorm ftw!).

And if you have in group two 500ilvl DDers, it's hard to show off good DPS as a fresh toon, pack of mobs die in 10 seconds. Same goes for boss fights. Some classes (esp casters) can't even start up, throwing 1 flamestrike and 2 fireballs on 1 thrash pack? Fuck yes! It will count for at least 15k DPS!

Today i due qued with my wife in random dungeon, we have got mogu shan palace, i am 480ilvl mage, and she is 450 hunter (408 bow), after chain pulled 3 packs, healer started blaming hunter for low DPS (24k), i had 88k and random rogue had 18k. We ignored him, at first boss i had 48k, hunter 31k (dead pet as BM hunter sucks) rogue 28k (died in the middle, where mage-mogu starts sucking everyone in) that healer paladin (502 ilvl) 18k DPS. He again started complaining about hunter DPS, and i pointed at him dropping hunters pet and rogue. He answered that he is not going to heal scrubs and he is doing more DPS on his hunter than we all, and healing pets is hunters job, not his (pet died due to aggroing first mogu before tank who was afk/lagging for ~10 seconds and again on 3rd mogu on the same cause). We kicked that prick before pulling last boss, he was calling us scrubs and yelling at us, tank died 3 times because he was doing damage...
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2013-03-10 at 06:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Divine Path View Post
    Threads like these are good for identifying players with an Elitist Mentality.

The "you must have X DPS or don't bother playing the game LOL" crowd is a disease in this game.
    Seriously. A whole lot of people commenting on this thread? You have bad, hate-filled attitudes, and you should feel bad, too. Stop pretending you're not elitists and not selfish. Because, honestly? A lot of you are, and a lot of you are the problem with this game's toxic community.

Perhaps the middle ground is a meter that monitors activity rather than dps. It would show who is trying and who isn't, without it being about what the meter hound thinks your dps should be.

No, I think just the opposite. They should implement them into the game.

When I am running a dungeon with guild mates, we're pretty objective. If we're running a group with some guy that is overgeared and he's doing 50% or more DPS, then it's time to just ignore the DPS meter. Same as if we've got a healer who's doing some DPS on the side.

But if we run a dungeon and everything's going smoothly, yet there's some guy who's pulling barely 5% DPS, and when we watch him he's just standing there most of the time, then he's out of there. We'll vote kick him or let him die the moment we got a chance. If someone's pulling DPS a little higher, like anywhere from 8%-12% we usually inspect them to find out. If they're geared well we watch what they're doing. If they're poorly geared we just assume they're here for the gear and leave them alone. If they're geared out in good gear, then it's pretty much at our leisure. If the person's causing any issues, we've got some justification to get rid of them. If they're minding their own business, we let them stick around.
    The post that Blizzard banned me for:
    2014-11-28 19:55:26 [Trade - City] Potassiumgluconate: female dwarf butts are the best thing that this expansion has given us.
    Butts are a touchy subject.

I don't know about this topic. I see a lot of people saying that one who pulls 25k in a dungeon shouldn't be there. I don't exactly think that is a fair statement. Everyone has to start somewhere. And until blizzard just gives people gear that are adequate enough for grouped content without have to actually participate in that content to get the gear, there is not much one can do. I myself do pretty low dps on my warrior, and I don't think its fair to be criticized for that when I spend a lot of time reading forums and guides on how to better my game play. When an individual is doing all that they are capable of doing to try and better themselves there is no reason that anyone should try to belittle or judge that person. Besides, in a LFD, most occasions you don't know the person in that group. They don't know how much effort a player is or isn't putting in. Until they are actually certain how much effort is actually being put in, they have no room to judge someone based on their performance. Now, if a player is being voted to be kicked out because he's afking for parts of the fight or ignoring trivial mechanics of a fight that is different. But, if the other players notice that the person with low dps is keeping up with everyone, is standing out AOE or, avoiding damage that is avoidable, or just doing what he or she is supposed to on that fight he shouldn't be punished for trying his all.
    "Dang dude, watch some Swifty videos or something!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    I'm not really sure how this went down, but if you were one of the people in dungeons doing 15k dps, then I totally understand why you got kicked and I would have voted yes too. People were doing 15k DPS two expansions ago... I don't expect people to come in there in quest greens and do 90k or something, but at least pull your weight instead of having 4 others just boosting you.
    People like you are the reason I rarely do random dungeons anymore. I'm sick of those damn elitists and their e-peen mania...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adamacula View Post
    I don't know about this topic. I see a lot of people saying that one who pulls 25k in a dungeon shouldn't be there. I don't exactly think that is a fair statement. Everyone has to start somewhere. And until blizzard just gives people gear that are adequate enough for grouped content without have to actually participate in that content to get the gear, there is not much one can do. I myself do pretty low dps on my warrior, and I don't think its fair to be criticized for that when I spend a lot of time reading forums and guides on how to better my game play. When an individual is doing all that they are capable of doing to try and better themselves there is no reason that anyone should try to belittle or judge that person. Besides, in a LFD, most occasions you don't know the person in that group. They don't know how much effort a player is or isn't putting in. Until they are actually certain how much effort is actually being put in, they have no room to judge someone based on their performance. Now, if a player is being voted to be kicked out because he's afking for parts of the fight or ignoring trivial mechanics of a fight that is different. But, if the other players notice that the person with low dps is keeping up with everyone, is standing out AOE or, avoiding damage that is avoidable, or just doing what he or she is supposed to on that fight he shouldn't be punished for trying his all.
    The OP isn't asking what level of DPS is sufficient for a dungeon run at X level. He got kicked from a group for bad play and doesn't dispute the fact that he was the lowest performer but instead of asking advice on how to improve he asks if we would be okay with the removal of the tools which identify bad play. I think pointing out single poor performers in 5 mans is laughable myself in an age where one decent damage dealer, a competent tank and healer is more than enough to get through the majority of runs, but I also take umbrage with people blatantly riding on the crowds coat tails and have no desire to improve. The OP doesn't want to try to improve, he wants to brush his poor performance under the rug with wishing for no meters.

I've got 6 90's now and leveled them all on a mix of questing and dungeons, and can say for a fact that I've never seen anyone kicked for pulling over 20k. as a matter of fact I've seen quite a few at 10-15k in 90 heroics who won't get kicked...and when I've brought up their low DPS in chat, not even getting to the point of trying to kick, I got shouted down by the rest of the group telling me to give them a break because "they are probably new and still learning".

so yeah, I'm going to back the majority voice in this thread and say it's not the meter's fault when people get kicked, it's the RL people on the other end of the meter.

To OP: people have the right to kick you so that instead they get a better dps that wont hold them back.

4 people > you

Quote Originally Posted by Mersynd View Post
    Instead of Blizzard banning meters, they should make an IQ test requirement to queue for LFD or LFR so that people who can't understand a 5 button rotation will not hold the group back. How about that
    Honestly, I don't remember seeing anything about maximizing inquisition uptime when I took my IQ test...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    The problem isn't the DPS meters, the problem is assholes.
    Gearscore suffered from the same problems. It had analytical potential, but people saw it as nothing more than a number = skill addon.