Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Multi dotting for ST Dps gain

Quick question, on a boss like a Mageara does multi dotting boost your single target damage on the tenticles or is it just meter padding as a shadow priest? Thanks in advance.

Depends on talent choice

Talents are solace and insanity, angelic bulwark, power infusion and divine star. Thanks

Which talents would be good for ST gain? Are these talents above just for meter padding?

10+ Year Old Account
    Insanity goes well with DI.
    For reference, there's a thread [Shadow] Which talents for which boss?.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    I went with Insanity, DI, Halo(was not in melee range). And then kept swp on the head not being dpsed.

Deleted
    on the talents you gave, dotting the other head is pure and useless meter padding. There are 2 talents that are giving you procs based on dots. From Darkness comes Light - aka FDCL - gives you a chance to proc mind spike whenerve your VT ticks. This talent is atm inferior in ST fights to Solace and Insanity, so if your Spriest is rolling with this tell him to change it for a fight like Magaera. If you see VT up on any tentacle -except for the one you are nuking obviously- you are safe to yell at your spriest for padding meters.

The other is DI, which gives you a chance to Mind Blast everytime SW pain ticks. Now this has a good synergy with insanity and on a fight like Magaera seems to be a bit better than PI - which is top at a single target fight like jinrokh - but is not on par with a multiple add fight like Horridon or Tortos where you get a very big ToF uptime. So, if your priest has DI it is acceptable to use a GCD to put sw pain up on the extra head, its not for padding. If he has ToF or PI and no DI, its still pure padding, again you can yell at his ass, np.

if you dot more then one target like two targets, then you are no longer doing single target damage. Multi dotting does not increase single target damage.

So dotting an extra head on hydra boss or a tentacle is just meter padding

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    if you dot more then one target like two targets, then you are no longer doing single target damage. Multi dotting does not increase single target damage.

So dotting an extra head on hydra boss or a tentacle is just meter padding
    If he has a talent that procs off dots, multi-targetting can increase single target dps.

Good try though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post
    If he has a talent that procs off dots, multi-targetting can increase single target dps.

Good try though.
    But is the proc chance worth the extra 1-2 GCD you spend on dotting?

Quote Originally Posted by Gande View Post

Good try though.
    No it'll increase damage on another target. It's like cleave. You do damage to more then one target it's not counted as single target damage on the meters it's just padding them. Even if you do get an extra proc from a bugged talent it's still lost from the multi damage you are doing to another target.

Nice try though.
    Last edited by zito; 2013-03-10 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    No it'll increase damage on another target. It's like cleave. You do damage to more then one target it's not counted as single target damage on the meters it's just padding them. Even if you do get an extra proc from a bugged talent it's still lost from the multi damage you are doing to another target.

Nice try though.
    In the case of extra mind blasts (which in itself will be a single target increase), you'll be getting more orbs, which will equal more insanities, all for the cost of a single GCD every 18 seconds or so, less once the set bonus happens.

Again, good effort.

Seems there's a difference of opinion, but from what I understand is dotting another target with certain talents can increase proc rates which may/will increase ST damage on a boss such as Mageara however what would be the most efficient way to do most damage on one tenticle? That's the type if thing I wanted to find out.

Deleted
    there is no way to say for sure yet which talent are 100% better, we wait to see the specs tried out, it's a bit too soon. I personally rolled with DI and insanity, and dotted pain on the extra tentacle for more mindblast procs, which equals more orbs, more dps and more insanity, which is a great boost to single target. It only costs one gcd every 20 seconds and imo is worth it. Others went straight with PI, which is a 2 mins dps cooldown - hands down best choice for a single target fight - but DI might edge out given that you get more MB procs. There are no definitive numbers yet, but imo both are viable.

There aren't many fights I can think of where you're guaranteed to be able to stand in place for 20sec straight, let alone being able to do it every time PI comes off cd. Simulations are overvaluing it's usefulness imho. DI synergizes greatly with MFI and unless you're fighting the actual Patchwerk, you're better off using it in most cases. Throwing an extra SWP on an irrelevant mob to get double procs is a clear single target dps increase, as long as you have the good sense to "steal" that gcd from a normal mf tick or while moving.

Luck should be factored in; i guess with 4 pain rolling and good RNG u can get a quite brutal ST boost because of the DP+MFI highly inflated uptime.

In my opinion, if there's enough raid damage, a single renew + halo can fish so many ToF procs that blow the DI+MFI combo out of the water (ST wise).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpleisbetter View Post
    In my opinion, if there's enough raid damage, a single renew + halo can fish so many ToF procs that blow the DI+MFI combo out of the water (ST wise).
    I'm not running the glyph for renew mostly, and ToF with halo is poor at best (really RNG that you'll even proc it and then only every 45s). The boost from DI with insanity seems a much better option this tier unless there are adds or such for ToF.

For Mageara you're going to get quite a bit of ToF uptime purely off nuking the heads so it's a closer call, I still went with DI+MFI personally, but it could probably go either way as to which is better.

Mending could be a good substitute for renew, as it'll bounce to someone whom is low.

Deleted
    If you are getting Tof from healing your raid on a regular basis your healer´s are certainly doing something REALY wrong if you ask me ...