Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by docterfreeze View Post
    Can't decide whether to go with engineering + BS so KJ's cunning doesn't slow me down as much or BS+JC for super int+power gems.

I'm destro
    I'm engineering but it's very, very annoying with the tinker sharing CD with the on-use trinket. Ideal (for arena) would be BS + JC for max resil.

10+ Year Old Account
    Alright, the guide is getting pretty close to completion.
    Now I have a little demand to the community. Since I play with very complicated macros and no PvP addons (To practice for tournaments and to test my own skills), I'd like to know which addons and which macros I should include.

If anything is missing, hard to understand, incorrect or requires more information, please tell me. If you think something should be added, please tell me as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Nibe

Demo pvp stats

Hi guys. Im gonna pvp as demo lock, mostly in 2v2 and rbg.
    What stats should i aim/reforge for? I have Read in noxxic its crit,haste,mastery. Can any1 confirm this? I thought it was Like mastery,crit, haste.
    Second questiob is. Are demo op, the reason i ask is because i kill everything in random bgs, it seems Like i dont have a class that i just can't beat. I love ly lock and. And thinking I could do more dps, if my stat prio is wrong makes my pants giggle

Deleted
    You should reforge MASTERY > Haste=crit. Depends if u are near to haste cap and do u want crit or haste to ur playstyle. And yes demo lock is op atleast in 1vs1.

Deleted
    there's a pvp guide on here somewhere thats just been done, got pretty much everything you need to know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by samcaekz View Post
    there's a pvp guide on here somewhere thats just been done, got pretty much everything you need to know
    There is and I've just merged this thread to that main PvP thread. It's going to be THE place for PvP discussion during season 13.

On a side note, LOVE what you've done Niberion, the new formatting is brilliant! Going to sticky the guide so it doesn't slip to page 2 anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    There is and I've just merged this thread to that main PvP thread. It's going to be THE place for PvP discussion during season 13.

On a side note, LOVE what you've done Niberion, the new formatting is brilliant! Going to sticky the guide so it doesn't slip to page 2 anymore.
    Sweet. I'll try to get the last part of the guide finished tommorow as I kinda should be studying for finals... And just got my hands on simcity as well, hence why I didn't manage to finish it today

Quote Originally Posted by 06icb View Post
    Hi guys. Im gonna pvp as demo lock, mostly in 2v2 and rbg.
    What stats should i aim/reforge for? I have Read in noxxic its crit,haste,mastery. Can any1 confirm this? I thought it was Like mastery,crit, haste.
    Second questiob is. Are demo op, the reason i ask is because i kill everything in random bgs, it seems Like i dont have a class that i just can't beat. I love ly lock and. And thinking I could do more dps, if my stat prio is wrong makes my pants giggle
    Noxxic is really outdated, and often wrong when it comes to stats and talents, despite them saying it's updated for 5.2 :/

Ooooh, fancy new colours. And damn you, xskarma, for stickying this without warning, I couldn't find it for almost 12 hours.

Anyway, thanks again for the work put into this. Lots of helpful information!

Deleted
    Just did, some Rbg as Destro lock. And the ember generation is awesome! I simply spam Rof (with Mannoroth Fury) and spamming chaos bolt!!!

Ive got some questions regarding the mechanics of Affliction PvP in Battlegrounds.

I levelled my Lock to 87 over the weekend and decided to try my hand at some BGs to test it out.

I realise in this bracket any questions relating to gear & damage won't be relevant, so Ill keep it to class mechanics.

My main problem was that I was constantly starved for Soul Shards.

There were so many cool things to spend shards on (SB:SS, Teleport speed boost, Haunt, Drain Life, etc...) that I was constantly out of shards. I was trying to refresh them by spreading corruption as much as possible, and Drain souling on people about to die, but it just wasn't working.

I felt really useless on protracted fights - I would drain shards and then not know what to do.

Any tips? Should I be trying other stuff to get shards back, or being more careful spending them? Or both? (Lol).

Constructive advice appreciated.

Also, whats up with not respawning with full shards???

Deleted
    If u are starving shard u can use drain soul more often, is the only way. instead of tabbing and using sb:ss u can manually apply your dot, with glph of UA isn't an issue casting. the problem at your lvl that u can't use 90's talent, like Kil jaeden cunning, for affly is vital! u can dot, use drain soul and go los, preventing any interrupt.

Destro+ challenge mode xmog+ green fire... I draw too much attention to myself.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    why is Aff so bad?? awful dmg output, no killing blows, many deaths, awful surv i love Aff but cant do nowt with it in Bgs..
    Destro on other hand, total opposite. uber dmg, many kills, very few deaths.. wtf is going on ;p
    havent tried demo, dont like demo.. dont like destro much tbh i much prefer Aff but i find it useless so i have to go destro...
    ........THE WRITING'S ON THE WALL !!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    The deal with affliction is that like 60% of your damage comes from channeling MG and drain soul. The damage you theoretically can do is very good, but as with channeling spells go, it's easy to interrupt, and on top of that, your dots are dispellable. If you focus on spreading damage on everyone, you'll do ok. And unlike what people think, killingblows do not matter, especially not for a spec such as affliction. Your job in a battleground is just to put pressure on everyone.

As for survivability, I have to agree it's pretty awful, but I have to say that destruction nor demo are much better when it comes to that. In battlegrounds you really have to learn how to properly use every tool you have available to survive and avoiding bad situations as much as possible ( unless you play super aggressive as I do ).
    No matter how terrible a spec is, with enough practice you can make something decent out of it. ( And I'm only saying that because I don't want to sound like a whiner myself, since I absolutely agree that affliction is in a really bad state atm.)

Deleted
    Idisagree with your statement of PvP Power > Intellect. I've done the calculations, found below this paragraph, and noticed that the slight baseline damage increase through Power, doesn't outweigh the SP increase through Intellect. I've only done this for Demonology, but the calculations are easy to do for other specs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

Gem caculation:
    For every PvP Power gem, your damage increases exponential; Damage = Baseline Damage * 1.01208, where Damage Increased = Damage - Baseline Damage
    For Corruption, that gives us 1926 * 1.01208 - 1926 = 23,3 Damage Increase
    For Doom: 5340 * 1.01208 - 5340 = 64,5 Damage Increase

For every Int Gem, your damage increases linear; Damage Increase = 160 * (percentage of SP on the specific spell) * 1.1 for Dark Intent.
    For Corruption, that gives us 160 SP from the Int gem, 20% used of it and multiplied by 1.1 due to DI -> 160 / 5 * 1.1 = 35.2 Damage Increase
    for Doom: 160 * (5/4) *1.1 = 220 Damage Increase

Oops, seems it doesn't work in practice.
    Last edited by mmoc0fcde82002; 2013-03-19 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saveiro View Post
    I disagree with your statement of PvP Power > Intellect. I've done the calculations, found below this paragraph, and noticed that the slight baseline damage increase through Power, doesn't outweigh the SP increase through Intellect. I've only done this for Demonology, but the calculations are easy to do for other specs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Wc&usp=sharing

Gem caculation:
    For every PvP Power gem, your damage increases exponential; Damage = Baseline Damage * 1.01208, where Damage Increased = Damage - Baseline Damage
    For Corruption, that gives us 1926 * 1.01208 - 1926 = 23,3 Damage Increase
    For Doom: 5340 * 1.01208 - 5340 = 64,5 Damage Increase

For every Int Gem, your damage increases linear; Damage Increase = 160 * (percentage of SP on the specific spell) * 1.1 for Dark Intent.
    For Corruption, that gives us 160 SP from the Int gem, 20% used of it and multiplied by 1.1 due to DI -> 160 / 5 * 1.1 = 35.2 Damage Increase
    for Doom: 160 * (5/4) *1.1 = 220 Damage Increase
    There's just one problem with your math. Your Calculations are done assuming you start with 0 intellect and 0 PvP power, which is incorrect since you get a good amount of both from gear already.
    PvP Power increases the damage you get from spell power as well, while intellect keeps giving linear increases.

Deleted
    ( sry if it was asked somewhere else.. )

.. but do you really go full on resilience with gems ? isnt it better to gem pvp power gems in blue sockets, resilience in yellow and int + pvp power in red ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kirby9113 View Post
    ( sry if it was asked somewhere else.. )

.. but do you really go full on resilience with gems ? isnt it better to gem pvp power gems in blue sockets, resilience in yellow and int + pvp power in red ?
    Resilience is simply the best stat, and you can read the whole explanation here: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...silience-Guide
    The whole PvP Resilience vs PvP Power starts in section 2, with the answer you are probably looking for is under the graph of 2D

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niberion View Post
    There's just one problem with your math. Your Calculations are done assuming you start with 0 intellect and 0 PvP power, which is incorrect since you get a good amount of both from gear already.
    PvP Power increases the damage you get from spell power as well, while intellect keeps giving linear increases.
    The tooltip of PvP Power states only that it increases the damage done to players, not that PvP Power increases the value of Spell Power.

I was probably not clear, but the gemming was focused on either Power or Intellect, nothing in between.
    From what I saw, gemming Power made Doom tick for 700 more than ungemmed, against players. If purely intellect gemmed, Doom would hit for 2200 harder.

I will test it versus a player and get the results back.

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 07:15 PM ----------

Unbuffed, with PvP Power gems, Shadow Bolt hit for 18.3k, Fel bolt from Wild Imp 5k

Unbuffed, with Intellect gems, Shadow Bolt hit for 18.3k aswell, Fel Bolt from Wild Imp 4.5k

I stand corrected and will continue lurking now.
    Last edited by mmoc0fcde82002; 2013-03-19 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saveiro View Post
    The tooltip of PvP Power states only that it increases the damage done to players, not that PvP Power increases the value of Spell Power.

I was probably not clear, but the gemming was focused on either Power or Intellect, nothing in between.
    From what I saw, gemming Power made Doom tick for 700 more than ungemmed, against players. If purely intellect gemmed, Doom would hit for 2200 harder.

I will test it versus a player and get the results back.
    I don't think you really understood what I said.

Every spell has a base damage + extra damage from spellpower. In other words, the damage increase from PvP power is not
    Code:
    Damage increase = PvP power * base damage - base damage
    but

Code:
    Damage increase = PvP power * (base damage + spellpower coefficient * spellpower) - (base damage + spellpower coefficient * spellpower)
    You are right gemming Intellect is better than PvP power, when you have 0 intellect and 0 PvP power to begin with, but that's not the case because of gear.
    For PvP, PvP power and intellect exist together, you simply cannot calculate with one without involving the other somehow.
    Last edited by Nicola; 2013-03-19 at 06:23 PM.