Best pvp spec for rogues in 5.2

So I'm finally playing again and leveling my rogue to boot since 5.2 hit. I'm enjoying it so far, especially baseline prep (Should have happened ages ago), and the new talent cloak and dagger (amazing with sub, and it pretty much feels great everywhere else) However I'm quickly approaching level 90 and I'm really on the fence about what direction I should go for pvp specing.

So far I'm leaning the most toward combat. Its new for me and I haven't played it all that much during wotlk (played assassination)or cata (played sub). So I my real question is, does combat have a place remotely in pvp right now at level 90?

Compared to sub? No.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    So I'm finally playing again and leveling my rogue to boot since 5.2 hit. I'm enjoying it so far, especially baseline prep (Should have happened ages ago), and the new talent cloak and dagger (amazing with sub, and it pretty much feels great everywhere else) However I'm quickly approaching level 90 and I'm really on the fence about what direction I should go for pvp specing.

So far I'm leaning the most toward combat. Its new for me and I haven't played it all that much during wotlk (played assassination)or cata (played sub). So I my real question is, does combat have a place remotely in pvp right now at level 90?
    I would have to disagree with Willtron... I'm not some high-rated PvP'er but I think it's silly that players think that only X,Y, and Z classes/specs are the only working scenarios for PvP. I have been testing combat in PvP, and although I don't have any #'s or ratings to prove that it's doing well; I can tell you that I'm having a ton of fun and I'm doing well.

I think the majority of low / mid level arenas are based around who makes the LEAST amount of mistakes rather than which FOTM comp you're running. Play what you enjoy and try it out.

It is fine to play combat in bgs if you want, but you will have a lot more success with the control that sub offers in 2s/3s imo.

The only issue that I cant seem to see combat getting past is the fact that it has no real built in armor pen. Any thoughts on this? Can this be overcome with say, lots of pvp power?

10+ Year Old Account
    The only reason Sub is the best spec is because of the almost mandatory utility it brings from Shadow Dance and armor penetration from Find Weakness. Not to mention that its a spec that doesn't need pve stats to perform respectable damage.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rozaparks View Post
    I would have to disagree with Willtron... I'm not some high-rated PvP'er but I think it's silly that players think that only X,Y, and Z classes/specs are the only working scenarios for PvP. I have been testing combat in PvP, and although I don't have any #'s or ratings to prove that it's doing well; I can tell you that I'm having a ton of fun and I'm doing well.

I think the majority of low / mid level arenas are based around who makes the LEAST amount of mistakes rather than which FOTM comp you're running. Play what you enjoy and try it out.

Actually it's the opposite low/mid level arenas are based around FOTM and High end arena is based around skill=no mistakes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Carni View Post
    The only issue that I cant seem to see combat getting past is the fact that it has no real built in armor pen. Any thoughts on this? Can this be overcome with say, lots of pvp power?
    From what I've read, the biggest things combat packs are the incredibly long stuns (Kidney Shot under RvS) and HUGE burst through 2 2.6 delay weapons under Killing Spree. There was even a thread on how incredibly, surprisingly powerful KSpree is in PvP (http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ombat-Ancedote) even with a dagger OH.
    Last edited by Kael; 2013-03-11 at 04:54 AM.

Personally, I hate Combat since

- Slow building of insight stacks
    - Heavily dependent on 2-3min cooldowns
    - Looow CP generation
    - Finishers are very soft, outside RvS-KS off of DR's
    - KS becomes very weak if a 2nd target pops into range

It's not bad at all if you can sit on your target, but CC and kiting seems to cripple its damage worse than the other two specs.

Combat isn't really tailored for pvp. Aside from long cd bursts and almost 9 sec ks (that 1 is huge though) it has almost nothing going for it. Ofc full insight stacks killing spree is a fun thing (already had few expiriences of dieing in cs from it), but it lacks consistency. Myself i strongly disagree that SD is a mandatory utility right now, imo assasination is pretty viable atm and brings much more dmg then subt.

Combat falls off compared to subt and assasination simply becouse of armor factor, where other specs bypass armor through different mechanics combat strugle with it. Also combat mastery is pretty meh, definetly weakest in pvp setting. Still going to give spec a go later on with mass stacked haste and burst of speed, but don't expect something meaningfull from it)

I've tried my hand at both Assassination and Subtlety.

Assassination is by far my preferred of the two specs, and does very well in BGs. This is just a personal preference; I don't enjoy subtlety's CP mechanics or its positional requirements. The long wait periods between mutilates when the enemy player is above 35% is an evil I can tolerate, I suppose. Subtlety is strong, but tends to be lack-luster with all the additional players/factors in a BG.

In contrast, the utility package and burst subtlety provides makes it shine in arenas and duels. That said, assassination has a respectable presence in arenas too.

The (very) little credence combat has received in this thread thus far is equatable to polishing a turd.

tl;dr -- Ignore combat, then flip a coin.
    Last edited by AwdBawl; 2013-03-12 at 09:50 AM.

I personally have tried both combat and sub so far this patch. I can see why people are saying that sub is the best spec (because of the utility and burst from shadow dance). However i feel that combat doesnt get the credit it deserves, yes killing spree and adrenline rush have long CD's, but with every finishing move with 5 CP you are dropping those CD's by 10 secs. So really the CD's arent that long. And I havent had any problems yet killing those annoying warriors or DK's. I just put a couple stacks of expose armor and go to town on them with a CD. Everything else doesnt seem to give me much grief except certain geared healers and even those you can drop pretty easy with deep insight and a CD with on use trinket. Burst macros come in handy for combat for sure, without them i would say combat would definately be lacking.