Poll: Gandalf vs Dumbledore

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Gandalf vs Dumbledore

Gandalf vs Dumbledore
    who would win
    i say gandalf
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

its not really a fair fight, gandalf isnt even human.

Based purely off the movies... Dumbledore, as it would appear Gandalf is a wizard without magic... I mean in the moves the best spell he comes up with is a lightbulb on a stick.

---------- Post added 2013-02-14 at 10:03 PM ----------

However, based on the books, Dumbledore again as he has a wand that can not be defeated. It would be an epic battle, but Gandalf would have to disarm an incredibly powerful duelist, and head master of a Wizarding school versed in all manner of magic.

gandalf won imo

At one point in time, Dumbledor had all 3 deathly hallows, that made him the master of death.

How can Gandalf fight someone he cant not see, can not kill, and can not beat?

Gandalf is essentially a powerful archangel. You know the Balrogs? They're the same species as Gandalf. The only difference is they turned to evil, (which makes them weaker) and they're also lesser Maiar, while Gandalf is one of the original Maia. Gandalf also has a ring of power.

And before anyone spouts off any nonsense about Dumbledore knowing more magic than Gandalf, know this. Gandalf doesn't use his magic most of the time because he promised his father that he wouldn't. It's not that he can't, it's that he chooses not to. He was sent to Middle Earth as an adviser, not a god to solve all their problems and do everything for the mortals.

Also, book Gandalf > movie Gandalf.

This seems really nerdy. Isn't Gandolf the main villain from Legend of Zelda series? But he uses a sword.

Edit: Oh wait I'm thinking of "Ganon." (Don't yell at me! Last Zelda games I played were Skyward Sword with Demise and the Railroad one for the DS.)

Clearly, Dumbledore>Gandalf. Clearly. 100%.

Dumbledore had more power than anyone in the world, and refused it. Gandalf is poweful. Hm. Dumbledore clearly wins in my book.

Dumbledore for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Gandalf is essentially a powerful archangel.
    Blah blah blah:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amnasty View Post
    At one point in time, Dumbledor had all 3 deathly hallows, that made him the master of death.

How can Gandalf fight someone he cant not see, can not kill, and can not beat?
    Dumbledore also enjoys nekkid dancing on the corpse of Snape...
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-02-15 at 03:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Gandalf for sure... he's a LESSER GOD in the middle earth universe... Dumbledore is just a powerful wizard. The only issue I have is that "magic" isn't super big in middle earth and lotr in general. It isn't thrown around so crazily like in Harry Potter.

my vote go to Gandalf

gandalf rarely uses his magic and how badass is he=awesome
    dumbledore uses magic like he uses his hand and how badass is he= meh
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

Does Dumbledore have access to the Sorcerer's Stone, Cloak of Invisibility, and the Elder Wand? If so, Dumbledore.

Gandalf or gandolf

Remember: death makes Dumbledore die, while it only makes Gandalfs bright brighter.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post

Blah blah blah:

Lol? Am I missing something here?

Gandalf died and came back.

Dumbledore died and stayed dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Kavoo View Post
    Remember: death makes Dumbledore die, while it only makes Gandalfs bright brighter.
    Not when Dumbledor has his sorcerers stone.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Does Dumbledore have access to the Sorcerer's Stone, Cloak of Invisibility, and the Elder Wand? If so, Dumbledore.
    Gandalf has the power to shatter the sun and moon, incinerate Arda, create a species, and mind control millions. I don't think any magical artifact is gonna help Dumbledore. Gandalf's power isn't even really magic per se, (the people of Middle Earth coined the term wizard) it's the power to change reality as he sees fit.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    Gandalf is essentially a powerful archangel. You know the Balrogs? They're the same species as Gandalf. The only difference is they turned to evil, (which makes them weaker) and they're also lesser Maiar, while Gandalf is one of the original Maia. Gandalf also has a ring of power.
    TBH, Gandalf's ring of power is more of a +hope group buff.

However, let's take a look at the Balrog of Moria. That thing was badass, and Gandalf killed it (well, he did sort of die in the process, but he came back even more powerful in the end). As others said, Gandalf's job wasn't to project power but to encourage the good people of Middle-Earth to stand up for themselves and beat Sauron; Gandalf was only supposed to use magic when it was desperately needed.

You could just as well ask, Sauron vs. Dumbledore - Sauron was a Maia just as Gandalf was ("Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten"; Olórin was a Maia); the Maiar were the 2nd tier of beings which we'd consider to be gods - the Maiar were basically lesser gods. Granted, Sauron was the greatest (strongest) of the Maiar, just as Morgoth (Melkor) was the greatest of the Ainur (the greater gods); the real difference here is more spec than level

Gandalf's staff was just something he channeled his power through and used as a convenient holder for his fae light when he called that. Mostly, his staff was a walking stick / weapon. Drop the staff (note he didn't always have his staff) and Gandalf isn't inconvenienced at all.

What was Dumbledore's wand? His power. Drop the wand? Better plea for mercy, he's nothing without the wand.

At the risk of being incinerated, let me state for the record that I think HP magic is bs. Gandalf may not have used a lot of magic but he had great powers on tap.

Really, though, I prefer Earthsea magic over either of those two examples, however.