Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I've killed near 200 by the time I got the tome. No one should have to do that; the quest should be determined in class skill rather than RNG.

Blizzard will probably sell it on the store (which is probably what they mean with less rare over time).

I valor capped @ Tuesday due to farming rares. I think I killed 90+ rares at least with no luck.Last night guy next to me got his 2nd tome out of 20 or less kills, and was kind enough to sell it to me for 11k (I offered 15k at first, he said no sorry can sell it for more, but after we got to same group farming rares and some random conversation he was kind enough to sell it for me at 11k despite having offer from someone else at 20k, because as he said i seemed a nice guy and he had a ingame dept to pay so didnt need more golds).After that I headed to do the quest,didnt manage to get it at first night,tried again today and got it after several(i got my gear red once and once all yellow).
    Drop chance is a bitch sadly =\ .Some ppl not trying enough are getting them from first drops (or even knowing what the tome is for), while ppl are wasting 10 or 11 hours daily (for 3 days i never slept,from work to farm). I convinced my self that it was the last night farming it, as it was quite irritating seeing it on your loot but someone else to getting it (happened 3 or 4 times), plus you had to relog every time to loot....

I single handedly farmed 40 arcane crystals back in vanilla for my Hand of Ragnaros in 1.5 months in EPL with raids ganging me, mages or rogues sapping/sheeping ninjaing the minerals, but I was never so much irritated like these past days were I had to relog/watch the tome disappearing from my loot window.

On the other hand, killing Kanrethad with 490ilvl (not doing any raid), while other ppl with more than gear me are having a hard time, was quite satisfying.For me the real test shouldnt me the drop rate but the boss.Make it reward skill over gear, and let it decide who should get his green fire. The encounter is pretty nice and I wouldnt like the idea of ppl outgear it.
    Last edited by pitakos; 2013-03-11 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Banawani View Post
    I've killed near 200 by the time I got the tome. No one should have to do that; the quest should be determined in class skill rather than RNG.
    This. I haven't gotten mine yet after countless kills. I know that I'll get it eventually but still, not a great way to "start" the quest in the first place.

so since blizz said theyll increase drop rate in future patches which means lock who get it by then will likely outgear the quests and will probably never get to experience the actual challenge just because we werent lucky enough. i hope blizz downscales in future patches

After 4 days of farming I've pretty much given up and have decided to just buy the one on the AH for 100k.

10+ Year Old Account
    With the rares probably being camped for a good while longer, and the number of warlocks that allready have the tome climbing steadily you'll start seeing them on the AH more and more, and for less and less. I bought mine for 15k, and I don't doubt it will be next to worthless in the not too distant future. After a while, when the island gets less crowded and rares killed less the price will climb a bit again, but that's weeks, if not months away.

Soo.. after completing the chain on my first lock (took around 20 kills to get the drop), I went to the island on my 2nd lock expecting to have to grind endless rares... it dropped on the first rare I killed

RNG quest is RNG
    Last edited by scmpoe; 2013-03-12 at 08:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Having played this game since 2006 I can say without a doubt that this is the most retarded shit I've ever experienced in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by exjay View Post
    so since blizz said theyll increase drop rate in future patches which means lock who get it by then will likely outgear the quests and will probably never get to experience the actual challenge just because we werent lucky enough. i hope blizz downscales in future patches
    THIS! if i have to wait for another 2-4 weeks i proably got 522+ ilvl and just faceroll the shit out of it .. what realy sucks^^
    but the rng is the biggest fuckup on the way there. if they added a warlock acievment like "kill 30 rare mobs on the island of thunder" or a rare demon (that would make wayy more sense) that can spawn in 40 diffrent places (so you don't just camp there) awesome .. but like this it's just how mutch time do you wana spend camping mobs

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by darkminaz View Post
    THIS! if i have to wait for another 2-4 weeks i proably got 522+ ilvl and just faceroll the shit out of it .. what realy sucks^^
    Keep the gear you're wearing at the moment and use it when you finally do the quest. :P

Deleted
    I got it on my 2nd rare, but do not plan to finish the quest yet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banawani View Post

Blizzard will probably sell it on the store (which is probably what they mean with less rare over time).
    Locked by RNG is a fun element...also something that should not be able to be farmed 24/7.

Make it 5-10% droprate on a 1 chance a week kill...it's because it's farmable for 24/7 is what makes it stupid, as it actually take insane amounts of time.

Compare it to a rare mount drop, I don't get angry when I don't get Ashes of Alar even if I have been farming it since TBC...why? Because it only takes 10 mins of effort a week.

I'm confused, I thought the book was personal loot? Is it seriously first come first serve to ANYONE who tags the mob when it drops? Because that is some serious horse****, I'm on a highpop server and I can usually get a tag, but 9 out of 10 times I get the loot bug and have to relog.

Oh, this is from a blue

Edit: Looking into it further, I was able to find a Mumta kill that you participated in shortly before you submit your ticket. In that kill, which I did verify you took part in, the Tome did drop. However, from what I could see the only tome that dropped went to a different character. It is possible that there was a display error that showed you loot that you did not qualify for. Such as the current issue where a rare mob cannot be looted immediately, especially if there is an unlooted mob nearby. In such cases you usually have to leave the area and come back or even log out and back before you can loot. Killing a mob and looting it will also allow you to pick up items that you qualified for using the AoE looting mechanic. That might explain why you saw the item but were unable to actually pick it up.

So it IS personal loot, but sometimes you are able to see loot that other people are getting, so it doesn't matter how many other people are there attacking the mob, or how many ungrouped grey geared scrub locks are there, or other classes trying to make a buck, the book is personal loot, it will not affect your chances to get it.

118 rare kills and counting. Fuck this drop rate. Really.

"Oh no I can't just go to a trainer and learn green fire for 20g, which would make me despise it because then everyone would have it, but I actually have to work for it and thus I can feel really happy when I get it and looks awesome while everyone else is ugly and stuff. Fuck my life"

That's you guys

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    I'm confused, I thought the book was personal loot? Is it seriously first come first serve to ANYONE who tags the mob when it drops? Because that is some serious horse****, I'm on a highpop server and I can usually get a tag, but 9 out of 10 times I get the loot bug and have to relog.

Oh, this is from a blue

Edit: Looking into it further, I was able to find a Mumta kill that you participated in shortly before you submit your ticket. In that kill, which I did verify you took part in, the Tome did drop. However, from what I could see the only tome that dropped went to a different character. It is possible that there was a display error that showed you loot that you did not qualify for. Such as the current issue where a rare mob cannot be looted immediately, especially if there is an unlooted mob nearby. In such cases you usually have to leave the area and come back or even log out and back before you can loot. Killing a mob and looting it will also allow you to pick up items that you qualified for using the AoE looting mechanic. That might explain why you saw the item but were unable to actually pick it up.

So it IS personal loot, but sometimes you are able to see loot that other people are getting, so it doesn't matter how many other people are there attacking the mob, or how many ungrouped grey geared scrub locks are there, or other classes trying to make a buck, the book is personal loot, it will not affect your chances to get it.
    This just isn't true tho. There is nothing personal about it, if the book drops you need to loot it like a madman. If you are able to see it but cant loot it, someone else was just faster with clicking

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    This just isn't true tho. There is nothing personal about it, if the book drops you need to loot it like a madman. If you are able to see it but cant loot it, someone else was just faster with clicking
    You know this for a fact? Then I am done farming for it, there's atleast 40 people at every rare kill and I get the lootbug 9 out of 10 times so I have 0 chance to get it. That's some terrible design if it's actually true.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    I got it on my 2nd rare, but do not plan to finish the quest yet.
    Try to sell it while it's a hot item on the market. I got mine on the second rare as well, I accepted the quest and can't finish it quite yet because I only have 479 ilvl on my lock.

Quote Originally Posted by Tryana View Post
    So your thought is correct but the blue who can see the data is wrong? I find it more likely that there is a bug like they say where you are seeing other loots (I know this does happen as ive seen my wifes loot on the rare when ive opened it and couldnt loot it).

Honestly its a cosmetic item, I really want it, but I also want many other things which never seem to drop for me, mounts, pets, rare flavor items etc. Give it time and you will likely get it. If it was something easily obtainable you would all be complaining that you dont feel unique anyway. Atleast its tradeable, which means in a few more weeks it will be more common as more people get it when they no longer need it.