Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Doesn't change the fact I'm a Spacephobic.
    Just be aware that your irrational fear is not a sound reason on which to base policy.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Doesn't change the fact I'm a Spacephobic. Secondly your sig....what if it's not the woman we need right now?
    well that's extremely unfortunate and my condolences to you i hope you can make it through it but that doesnt mean it shouldnt happen because Mr. Lightsong has a phobia for space. and i have no idea what you said about my sig

10+ Year Old Account
    i wonder how deep those oceans are?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    This has the potential to ruin space exploration forever. Think about it.

All of the most terrifying creatures on earth are in the ocean. So what if we send a probe to Europa, and the first alien life we ever find looks like this?
    snip

Suddenly nobody wants to be an astronaut anymore.
    Is that a giant shrimp-squid-water snake?

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    just to go down i history to be the first person from earth to kill an Alien lol
    I'd be the first motherfucker to find a new alien life form... and fuck it. And people would be like, "There he goes, homeboy fucked a martian once."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    well that's extremely unfortunate and my condolences to you i hope you can make it through it but that doesnt mean it shouldnt happen because Mr. Lightsong has a phobia for space. and i have no idea what you said about my sig

I wouldn't make policy about it anyways. It's just my personal feelings about it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Think about how oil gets moved in todays world. Massive ships moving it from one part of the world to the next. Now you want to make it profitable to use their natural resources to fuel our needs. It couldn't be done. To set up an operation like that it would cost close to a trillion dollars. It would take several years to get a shipment of that stuff to earth. So think about how big of a ship you would need to make it profitable.

Currently ships move 2billion barrels of oil a year and it costs of that break down to about .02 a gallon at the pump. So now think about how much it would cost to build a ship that can hold oil (most super takers hold close to 3.1 million barrels) and get it in space and then get Europa. While there get the oil onto the ship and then get it back and get the oil back down to earth. It just isn't economically feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Isotope View Post
    Think about how oil gets moved in todays world. Massive ships moving it from one part of the world to the next. Now you want to make it profitable to use their natural resources to fuel our needs. It couldn't be done. To set up an operation like that it would cost close to a trillion dollars. It would take several years to get a shipment of that stuff to earth. So think about how big of a ship you would need to make it profitable.

Currently ships move 2billion barrels of oil a year and it costs of that break down to about .02 a gallon at the pump. So now think about how much it would cost to build a ship that can hold oil (most super takers hold close to 3.1 million barrels) and get it in space and then get Europa. While there get the oil onto the ship and then get it back and get the oil back down to earth. It just isn't economically feasible.
    i doubt any part of the world will really be using oil in a century or two

Quote Originally Posted by Isotope View Post

I don't think we'll be using oil that far into the future.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ah yes, Europa...
    An intriguing moon indeed. Icy surface, salty water rich on minerals and presumably with underwater heat source from geothermal activity caused by Jupiter and it's other moon's gravitational pull. Something might have brewed up in there, but if it has, it will be very very different from anything we know.

Sadly, mounting any kind of proper research expedition is right now out of our capabilities. Apart from the distance and alien environment, one of the moon's biggest issues is radiation it receives from Jupiter. At 540rem per day, we can only dream of manned mission to that place (for example, Fukushima at it's peak produced 19.2 rem a day, resulting in 40km radius evacutaion). I'd like to hope for at least a robotic mission, but look at how far have we gotten with that on Mars. It certainly is a heap of progress, but those little things are barely able to scrape the surface for mineral samples, let alone drill through 10-30km of shifting ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Ah yes, Europa...
    An intriguing moon indeed. Icy surface, salty water rich on minerals and presumably with underwater heat source from geothermal activity caused by Jupiter and it's other moon's gravitational pull. Something might have brewed up in there, but if it has, it will be very very different from anything we know.

Sadly, mounting any kind of proper research expedition is right now out of our capabilities. Apart from the distance and alien environment, one of the moon's biggest issues is radiation it receives from Jupiter. At 540rem per day, we can only dream of manned mission to that place (for example, Fukushima at it's peak produced 19.2 rem a day, resulting in 40km radius evacutaion). I'd like to hope for at least a robotic mission, but look at how far have we gotten with that on Mars. It certainly is a heap of progress, but those little things are barely able to scrape the surface for mineral samples, let alone drill through 10-30km of shifting ice.

I think a manned mission is already out of the question, not until we can actually get to mars first. But a robotic spacecraft that can slowly dig down the ice capsule is very possible, we just need the money.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    This has the potential to ruin space exploration forever. Think about it.

All of the most terrifying creatures on earth are in the ocean. So what if we send a probe to Europa, and the first alien life we ever find looks like this?
    [img]http://images.wikia.com/seamonsters/images/2/22/Leviathan
    Suddenly nobody wants to be an astronaut anymore.

But Europa doesn't have an atmosphere, does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Yes it does. Try reading the thread, it has been discussed.

http://www.windows2universe.org/jupi...tmosphere.html

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm not mistaken, it's got a pretty thick atmosphere.

If I'm not mistaken, it's got a pretty thick atmosphere.
    no, the atmosphere is very thin as if you click the url i linked

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    no, the atmosphere is very thin as if you click the url i linked
    Depends on the metric you're using. As compared to Earth? Sure, it's non-existent. But compared to, say, Mars? It's pretty decent.

Depends on the metric you're using. As compared to Earth? Sure, it's non-existent. But compared to, say, Mars? It's pretty decent.
    true, but recent research on mars shows a thicker and actively changing atmosphere, probably the same for europa, but its barely one hundred billionth of Earth's

Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I read something last week about a private company looking to send a male/female couple on a flyby of Mars. The company's website listed its corporate and research partners. In the profile of one of those research partners, the company was already testing probes that can drill/melt through ice-covered planets (or moons in this case) and deliver a submersible. The probe and submersible are built and the relay probe that would be planted on the surface is under construction now. I wish I had bookmarked the company's site, but I'm sure you can find it using "couple mars mission" or something.

In any event, it sounded as though the technology to explore Europa has been in the works for some time.
    Was it this?

http://mars-one.com/en/

Europa has a lot of potential, but the smart money is on Enceladus.