Should I reapply Serpent Sting on trinket procs?

Should I reapply Serpent Sting each time my trinkets (agility in particular) proc? Or does Cobra Shot increase the duration of SS using the snapshot of stats SS was applied with?
    Thanks!

well if you have baller ass procs and dont plan on casting cobra for a while you may as well

Even though SrS is snapshot, it is what I like to call "effectively" dynamic as it takes a snapshot every tme CoS refreshes it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Have read several time that it re-calculates after each tick (all from this forum).

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    Have read several time that it re-calculates after each tick (all from this forum).
    So it basically means we can just fire and forget as long as it gets updated via CS.

I'm used to affliction warlock playstyle where DoTs do not update automatically with intellect procs and by refreshing your DoTs at opportune moments you can directly improve your DPS.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Even though SrS is snapshot, it is what I like to call "effectively" dynamic as it takes a snapshot every tme CoS refreshes it.
    This is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Spl4sh3r View Post
    This is wrong and it has never been said on this forum, ever.

If you want to test this out for yourselves, put SrS on a dummy then start attacking it when you get procs it'll stay the same.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

this is relevant to BM (maybe in certain situations other specs as well), but during the opener, if you have still a decent amount of time left on your srs, but your initial double trinket procs are about to expire, you should recast srs before they do (since during BW you won't be casting cobra shot). Same applies to multi dotting. Always refresh srs before procs fall off. In normal cases, that can and should be done with cobra shot. But in some (BW, multi dotting) should reapply manually.

And no, it doesn't update dynamically (per tick basis). It behaves like any other class' dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    Toes it tick faster when your Haste Rating increases?
    Nope. Haste doesn't do anything to our dots.

Quote Originally Posted by Fincher View Post
    (This was a stupid and meaningless question, having no bearing on the thread whatsoever)

fix'd.. it behaves like any other dot while in the CONTEXT of updating with stats..

just for clarification, so i completely and utterly understand this. Because i dont quite understand the mechanics in play here.

SrS - does more damage if "Recast" when trinkets procc or "Refreshed" with Cos?

Is black arrow also effected by this mechanic?

AoC?

Basically I am looking for some guidance to give my dps that extra push, that i have been trying to do, but see that there is still some room for improvement.

SrS is a snapshot DoT, so is BA. What "snapshot" means is that the spell debuff on the target is a "picture" of what your buffs were when you cast it. So if you have a trinket proc 1k agility, and you apply SrS before that buff comes up, you would theoretically lose SrS damage....

...except for the Cobra Shot mechanic of "refreshing" your SrS. While CoS only adds 6s to your SrS, what it does do is take a new "picture" of your buffs. So as long as you're cobra shotting during your buff, you'll effectively make SrS take the buff value when you do so. Conversely, the next time you Cobra Shot after the buff wears off, a new snapshot is formed, and the SrS returns to its old, unbuffed damage. Theoretically, you can extend a buff's effect on SrS by not CoS at all, but this is only effective til you're focus starved or SrS falls off, the DPS gained would not outweigh being unable to cast shots you need to cast because you've been holding back on CoS. This is why I said earlier in the thread that SrS is "effectively dynamic," meaning that 1) it is snapshot, but 2) in practice, it dynamically adjusts to your buffs every time you CoS, which is often enough and not worth delaying enough to make it fluctuate near or at the beginning/end times of your buff. You can game it a little, but that's late end game meta stuff.

BA doesn't have a mechanic which refreshes it, so it is a straight snapshot. It will take your stats when you cast it, and have those same stats for its full 20s duration.

AMoC (I assume that's what you meant by AoC) is fully dynamic. Every tick takes into account your current stats. If you gain 1k agi at 3s, the 4s tick of AMoC will reflect it. Watching AMoC's damage tick upwards during a proc of Rentaki's Soul Charm is very amusing indeed.

thanks for the explanation - but then i am wondering whether perhaps fervor, if gear allows may be more suitable than dire beast... in terms of keeping dot w. proccs up vs. more often refresh... do u have some feedback? For SV that is...
    Last edited by kojoo86; 2013-03-27 at 06:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kojoo86 View Post
    thanks for the explanation - but then i am wondering whether perhaps fervor, if gear allows may be more suitable than dire beast... in terms of keeping dot w. proccs up vs. more often refresh... do u have some feedback?
    Fervor seems to be the general thing to use for SV even if it is a single target fight. In fact last I checked femaledwarf was simming it above dire beast for me.

I've never liked DB to be honest, though I use it in BM because it scales with BM's mastery. It has the same buggy pet AI as our normal pets, except we can't even pretend to control it. I've been using Fervor/ToTH exclusively in SV.