Thread: Tortos 10m

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Tortos 10m

Hai dudes,

A few quick questions about Tortos in 10-man. We did a couple tries on him yesterday and we were running 2 healers but we ended up having major healing problems as the fight progressed. Was it just our healers failing or do we really need 3 for this fight? Be mindful that we also had our least regular tank on so he might've been an extra unnecessary heal sink.

Also, when do you Hero/BL? We were thinking of waiting for Tortos to reach about 30%, throw a turtle, hero, throw another turtle after 20 secs to keep the debuff up a bit more. Alternatively, we could do just that at the start but I'm betting execute range would be best. Any thoughts?

In case it helps, this is the roster I have available (if any class/spec specific tips are involved):

Resto Shaman x
    Resto Shaman (another)
    Holy Paladin
    Disc Priest x
    MW Monk

Tanks:

Prot Paladin (me) x
    Guardian Druid x
    BrM Monk

DPS:

Ele Shaman x
    Enh Shaman x
    Balance Druid
    Aff Warlock x
    Ret Paladin
    Combat Rogue x
    Fury Warrior x
    BM/SV Hunter
    Fire Mage
    Shadow Priest x

Those marked with the 'x' are the setup I ran last night.
    Last edited by mmoc31ca91b23a; 2013-03-11 at 03:58 PM.

Our guild did this with 3 healers (disc priest, hpaly, resto shaman), two tanks (blood dk, monk) and didn't kill any of the bats. Our brewmaster just ran around kiting them and aggroing the bats which beelined for the healers. The shells were just thrown when he was about to breath. I believe you can throw another one in between without penalty to keep the dot up. Have your holy paladin go righteous fury and run with the brewmaster when the bats come down. The bats should go to them. This made the fight a lot shorter for us as we didn't have to kill any bats. I honestly forgot when we bloodlusted. I know it was after we threw the shell but it shouldn't matter a whole lot which time. It seems to make sense to do it right after 30% though. The fight's not really a dps check, it's just near the end the number of bats makes it one shot the tank who's kiting so it might be better to blood lust near the end to decrease the chances of this happening.

we did it with 2 tanks and 3 healers hope this video will help u to kill him

We ran 1 Tank, 3 Healers, 2 Melee, 4 Ranged.

Had the ranged killing turtles and the melee bouncing from bats to boss. Used a Holy Pally with Righteous Fury on to funnel the bats to the tank. Had 1 ranged assigned to kicking turtles. We always had a turtle available to kick through the bats. As the fight progressed we had enough turtles to just continuously kick them into the boss.

Deleted
    What the above poster said is a good idea. You can also just go with 2 tanks, its really no biggie.

We killed the bats, our war tank stunned them, followed up by another stun. (so less heals).

I asume you kick the boss properly. On first Stone Breath mark a skull turtle to nuke, so you can kick it @boss on breath.

Apart from that, the only thing that can wipe you is Quake Stomp. While Quake Stomp deals decent dmg, its the side effect (making many rockfalls), which deals dmg on impact (and to the people within 20 yards). Therefore spreading out is your best bet @surviving. Also use of Spirit Shell is amazing - And BoP's if peoople are low.

We 2 healed without a problem, but 3 healing should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    We ran 3 healers just to have enough cds to cover every stomp

1. pally cds
    2. resto druid cds
    3. rshaman cds
    4. boomkin tranq
    5. repeat

Deleted
    Did get the kill last night. Ended up with two tanks, 3 healers, 4 range dps and 1 melee. Most our wipes were due to someone failling a kick or hunter not getting MD in time as he was also the kicker. He died after about an hour of tries or so.

Thanks for all the help.

Couldn't do more than 30 minutes on Megaera though! Huge trash to clear and, once we got to the boss, a "suhplize" server shutdown warning popped up.

Deleted
    it seems most people are three healing it, but it's deffinately doable with two healers. We're two healing it even on our alts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Killed him today, was by far easier for us then council. Had like... 15 Wipes only.
    We used a setup with 2 Tanks (Drood, Warrior) 3 Healers (2x Pala, Diszi) 1 Melee (Rogue) and 4 Ranges (Shadow, Mage, Hunter, Warlock).
    We endet up letting the Drood tank the boss, thou he made our healers sweat more then once and the Warrior tank the bats, which was pretty nice due to his mobility and taunting banner. We kited the bats into Tortos, so that our Rogue could nuke them, too. We managed it , that the bats were always dead before Tortos stomped, which is very helpful, cause the stomp used to bring our warrior below 350k health, which caused the bats to heal themselve. AoEing the bats before the stomp got easier and easier from stomp to stomp, cause the spawntimer of the bats and the stomptimer grew asunder each time. So we had like two seconds between the first bats dead and stomp and later we had ten seconds between bats dead and stomp, which eased everything up.
    Our Rogue stayed on Tortos the whole time aside from the times he helped to bomb the bats. Shadow and Warlock mainly crossdotted the shit out of everything, Hunter and Mage focussed on the whirling turtles. Hunter had to kick the breath due to his mobility and his ability to rotate while moving.

A few things. Don´t try to kick the stomp. We wasted time doing this. It doesn´t work on nonheroic. If you cant kill the bats before the stomp, do more damage. It isn´t helpfull to end the fight with 10 turtleshells lying around. use them every 20 seconds for increased damage on boss. the Stalagtites deal damage even if you move out of the circle. Move as far away from every zone as possible.

We BL at around 30% and seemed to work well for us

Deleted
    Hi, figured i'd post in here instead of creating a new thread :P

Recently joined a new guild and after ~60 wipes on tortos i've given up, its either asking for help here or changing guild again, and I enjoy raiding with most of them.
    But need help pinpointing the bads and why, so it can constructively be brought up. (Never been on a more sensitive vent then theirs

We've tried solo tanking, 2 tanking, 2 healing, 3 healing, you name it.
    Culprit seems to be:
    Our kicker failing.
    Our hunter failing to missdirect (he even went as far as calling MD bugged on this fight lol)
    Turtles not dyin fast enough.
    Healers complaining its hard to keep people up.

Since im new in the guild and having the raid behind me on this fight, i have a hard time pinpointing the exact persons and mistakes (beyond the obvious) and was hoping to get some input on individual members performance

Here's the logs from yesterday (i play warrior tank)
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/witegsp62zan4tho/

Don't go easy on us, if we're struggling on 4th boss I dont even wanna think about the coming ones with this comp...

Some suggestions for you santa:

1. Get one guy responsible for kicking. He should keep Tortos in focus target and watch the energy bar.
    2. ALL DPS go for the first turtle (mark it). Even the melees. The first turtle has to die really fast to kick the first breath.
    3. Use one turtle for every set of bats to get them down faster. If you only have one melee also assign one range to help with the bats.

We killed him the first time yesterday and we didn't have any big issues besides that it was a big chaos in the beginning. But the chaos left with the number of tries we had on the boss. You should also tell your DPS that this fight isn't about max DPS, but about staying alive. Especially the kick should not be forced to push to the limit. It's ok he's standing there for a few seconds to aim correctly and wait for the DBM announcement. Maybe you can tell everyone to use personal CDs on big AoE damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by reflection View Post
    Some suggestions for you santa:
    1. We have, even assigned a backup cause our main guy couldnt get it consistently.
    2. We mark it, everyone goes after them until they split up.
    3. We are.

I think we're beyond tactics at this point, its execution/skill from individual members thats causing these headaches
    But bring something up on vent and people get so defensive its almost not worth bringing it up.
    I just want it black on white so i can point out them out and link to logs/this as a source, but i couldn't even start to tell half the classes what they should do

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    1. We have, even assigned a backup cause our main guy couldnt get it consistently.
    2. We mark it, everyone goes after them until they split up.
    3. We are.

I think we're beyond tactics at this point, its execution/skill from individual members thats causing these headaches
    But bring something up on vent and people get so defensive its almost not worth bringing it up.
    I just want it black on white so i can point out them out and link to logs/this as a source, but i couldn't even start to tell half the classes what they should do
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w.../spell/134539/

Looks like your priest and DK are slacking under the falling rocks.

Also, looking at the logs, you seem to be tanking the boss and your druid is tanking the bats, i'd suggest to swap that, since warriors are quite good at picking up the bats. Bats usually go for healers when they spawn, and you can leap+thunderclap+intervene on the healer to pick up the bats and prevent him from getting gibbed, even if your hunters fail at misdirecting and you're far away.

Putting signs on your healers also helps a lot when you're the bat tank since the fight is quite messy, you'll have an easier time finding them and identifying where the bats are heading.

What we did was:
    -DK tanking the boss (in your case druid)
    -Prot war (me) tanking the bats and doing the turtle kicking.

Bats spawn immedialty after the breath/kick so you can kick, pick up the bats, everybody kills the bats asap, then you can go back to your kick duties since you're not doing much anyways once the bats are dead.

It probably could help you since it would put less responsibilities on your guildmates and more on yourself, which should be a good thing since you seem confident in your ability, and it will allow your guildmates to focus on their own survival.

Also we popped bloodlust on the first set of turtles to ensure that we have one available for the first breath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulbukh View Post
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/w.../spell/134539/

Looks like your priest and DK are slacking under the falling rocks.
    Exactly shit like this im looking for, personal accountability isnt exactly skyhigh
    Knew priest was messing up a bit, but DK
    I need to learn how to use wol better :x

First half of the logs im solo tanking, but misdirect wasn't consistent and melee got gibbed when i stepped out to pick them up and when i didnt a healer died, so went back with 2 tanks.
    When 2 tanking, im taking the bats.
    But the tip about me handling kicking is gold, no idea why I didnt even consider that myself :O

We tried hero at the start, hero at first kick and hero at ~30%, made little to no difference
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-03-18 at 04:50 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    We tried hero at the start, hero at first kick and hero at ~30%, made little to no difference
    The difference is there's a much greater chance of everyone being alive and everyone having their buffs up for lust and for the duration of the increased damage on Tortos from the shell. This is likely to be a bigger DPS increase vs using it at 30%.

Like others have said the major aspect of this fight is kicking shells. Once you get that figured out the rest just falls into place. Who ever kicking should be using a marco for it. Don't assign this responsibility to raiders who kick like girls ;p

/targetexact Whirl Turtle
    /click ExtraActionButton1
    /targetlasttarget

Depending on set up I'd have all DPS focus the first turtle you're going to burn then once its dead have melee stay on boss then bats rinse and repeat entire fight. Make sure the DK is spec'd into chilblains to slow the turtles as they first come out and make sure they remain slowed by your range DPS until they're dead.

The only major source of WTF damage is quake. Make sure people use personal CD's for these and/or lock cookies. A druids stampede road is pretty boss for after the quake to avoid the rockfall afterwards. Make sure to have healing CD's for AFTER quake. This is where your priest and shaman have to save their spirit shell, barrier, tide etc. Your DK with anti-magic shell and zone is key too (which he appears to already be using).

After quake I have my raid run to the sides of the room and make a circle back to the center. This is done really quickly thanks to stampede roar. This usually makes all the rockfall stuff to land on the sides of the room leaving the middle of the room relatively empty. After quake/rockfall make sure your healers make their way back to the front of the room. If they chill in the back (i had this issue in my raid a few attempts) the bats will fly to the back of the room to them which makes running to the back of the room and kiting them back to the front an unnecessary pain to deal with. Doing it this way the bats will always be landing on the same location (right near the boss) so it makes picking them up and DPS"ing them done simple. Don't even have to rely on a huntard who thinks its MD is bugged haha.

Can't say it enough though, do the kicks right, boss dies. Fuck up kick, you die. So much stress will be relieved once this is not an issue anymore.
    Last edited by rated; 2013-03-18 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by edlike View Post
    We ran 3 healers just to have enough cds to cover every stomp

1. pally cds
    2. resto druid cds
    3. rshaman cds
    4. boomkin tranq
    5. repeat
    Pally CD is magical only, doesn't work on stomp.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntingbear_grimbatol View Post
    Pally CD is magical only, doesn't work on stomp.
    But it works for rockfall right afterwards which fucks you up too.

We killed Tortos for the first time yesterday. After some 30 wipes with 3 healers, we swapped to 2 and had an easier time. Admittedly, our wipes were mostly to the usual crap (lag, dcs, failing kicks, etc), but outside of those the only thing that really wiped us was:
    - People taking a rockfall to the face, or standing in range of 5+ rockfalls right after a stomp, leading them to die from the splash damage
    - The bat tank instantly dying to bats coming out of an aoe stun, or the bats killing somebody else because they were picked up too slowly

Aside from those two things, and obviously Tortos' constant bites to the MT's face, there really isn't a lot of damage going out. If people can avoid taking just a huge amount of splash damage from the rockfalls right after a stomp, and the bats don't kill anybody, then people just shouldn't die to damage, so 2-healing it is very easily doable. You do not need cooldowns for the stomps at all, as long as people avoid taking too much of the following rockfall splash damage, though they obviously do make it a lot easier. This fight is much more a L2P-thing than it is a numbers-thing, at least for the healers.

Logs from our shameful wipefest, if interested:
    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/y...?s=8514&e=8861
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I was doing the kicking last night as frost mage (yes, our lock and hunter are not that reliable ) when we got our first kill and I can tell you that you can comfortably face it that your dps sucks if you want to do the kicks properly and safely. The fight is generally not a huge dps check so this is not a big problem. Just watch timers closely so you know when you need to be at a shell and plan ahead what shells you are going to use. There is going to be lots of spares so feel free to use them as dps boost on bats and boss.